KU polar mount on the cheap (wood)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bevshadow

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Newfoundland
Heres one for a laugh if nothing else, I recycled an old dresser into a polar mount for my 1.2 meter, took yesterday and today to get the angles right but it works and no more hand moving, goes from 70W to 111W all i can see where its located, was my stand for the dish till i made one from a old waterbed frame LOL.:D

Attachments

• DSCF0777.JPG
    DSCF0777.JPG
    578.8 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCF0778.JPG
    DSCF0778.JPG
    631.9 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF0781.JPG
    DSCF0781.JPG
    763.7 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCF0779.JPG
    DSCF0779.JPG
    699.4 KB · Views: 305
Now there's something you don't see every day, lol. I kept listening for the theme from Sanford and Son while studying your pictures! If it works......why not.

Heres one for a laugh if nothing else, I recycled an old dresser into a polar mount for my 1.2 meter, took yesterday and today to get the angles right but it works and no more hand moving, goes from 70W to 111W all i can see where its located, was my stand for the dish till i made one from a old waterbed frame LOL.:D
adds a whole new meaning to recycling ,aslong as itworks i always say.:D:D

Reminds me of an engineering project where I built a minibike from a bicycle frame with added lumber. V-belt drive with no clutch, to a large pulley clamped to the spokes. The pulley was scrapped from a clothes dryer found in a dump; same for the engine. We need to start a gallery for home-brew unique FTA projects. Building stuff out of various materials, maybe even sawing-up yardsticks and using tools or cooking utensils for supports. This could be fun. I like to see the creative touch added to hands-on approaches. Originality shouldn't be criticized. The more pictures of projects outside the common box, the better. Keeps things interesting. No one might ever want to reproduce such works of art, and that's good, in several ways.

Great work, bevshadow!

Well it never cost me a dime for shipping lol first day i put the declination angle on the arms and found it was no good to track the arc so day 2 i put the declination angle on the dish and pointed everything south, moved my mount down about 20 degrees and had it not bad for first time trying. and i too have made many a cart had one with struts from a car trunk for shocks LOL.

Are there any plans for the DIY? :D

I would like to have my carpenter friend build one for you Anole in oak. Any special stain or varnish?

I would like to have my carpenter friend build one for you Anole in oak.
Any special stain or varnish?
I took my time thinking about that question...
After considerable deliberation, I believe a black stain, applied to still show the grain of the Oak, would be quite attractive.
And, it would be more in keeping with the tratitional styles and colors.

Now, as a sunning spot for little reptiles, the black would absorb considerable energy, but not burn the belly when they crawled up on it.
Black-painted metal transfers heat too easily to the little guys, and tends to burn their toes.

Yes, a wooden mount would be far more lizard-friendly! :D
Maybe we should consult TurboSat. He has a garden full of 'em to use for beta test. - :rolleyes:

If the plan is to replicate the prototype, I think the potential market will not be including those with an HOA
Yea, that's why the Oak and the fashionable stain.
Then you upholster the dish with some leather, and totally deny it's a satellite dish.

Some of the snooty neighbors might even believe it's a custom piece of modern art!
Then,,,, we get Sadoun to carry it in his on-line catalog, described as lawn-art, and point to that to prove it's not a satellite dish!
:eek: - rotfl - :D

I only made it as a template, and to see if it was hard to made and its nothing to it, i did it with only a jigsaw and a drill, and to show you don't need to waste money buying everything from a store, the next one will be made out of steel and welded ,and won't be affected by pissed off wife hanging from it, LOL

Very nice and innovative Bevshadow!

If it works who cares what it looks like! I think you did great! :)

We Satellite Guys members are unique in the things we can come up with and make it work!

:up

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts