Ku Satellite Dish Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Could not find a dedicated Satellite dish forum so here is my satellite dish question.

I came across a future ( not mine yet) KU dish that might be just right to play with. It has a "Spacenet" name sticker on it, it measures 4.5' x 4.1', fiberglass.....On the upper back it is stamped "ASC Signal, with Part number 3040942, and Mold number 1.25m....The dish comes with Gilat Satellite Network Ltd, Odu transmitter Ku 1W AN1670 Ver 2.0 Rev A....The transmitter has a LNB Ku Band PLL P/N LN1392 Ver 1.0 Frequency 11.7 - 12.2 Ghz L.O 10.75 Ghz attached to it.

The dish was taken down from local mini store and gas station, it is mounted on a metal frame, the owner of the store gave me the dish to hold untill he decides if he has any future use for it ( "he has to talk to his people to see if the renovation to his business will have any use for the dish" )....So the fate of this dish is in a three weeks limbo.

I have done some research on the dish itself, and have come up with very little information. Maybe a forum member may have additional information on this dish....Untill then this dish is on by wish list....I have the feelings that Radar might know something about this dish.

Will take some picture to post as soon as the rain stops...Pictures are coming LOL!!.

Hoping for the future.

Thank You for any help.:)

avenger.

Last edited:
What's the question??
Oh, how to tell them you 'lost' it?
Great catch, I think it's future is with you.

It's an excellent Ku dish, if not damaged.
Might be hard to motorize; you would need to strip it down and weigh it.

Obviously, you'll need to remove the ODU.
If that takes the feedhorn with it, you'll need some way to mount your own LNB AND THAT feedhorn back where it is now!
Keeping the original feed at the exact current position, is key.
If you don't, then give the dish to someone who will! ;)

More comments after pictures; front & back.

Here are the pictures as promised.....Comments are deeply appreciated

Thank You.

Attachments

• FILE0088b.JPG
    FILE0088b.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,711
  • FILE0089b.JPG
    FILE0089b.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • FILE0093b.JPG
    FILE0093b.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 849
  • FILE0095b.JPG
    FILE0095b.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 836
  • FILE0096b.JPG
    FILE0096b.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 870
Where did you score it, Danny & Clydes Or the supercuts building on Gause? Those are internet dishes. Have to convert it for FTA, you'll need another LNB likely. From the looks of it that company has taken over from the company that used Prodelins around here. I wouldnt worry about him taking it back, the companies that do the business do NOT reuse old equipment, they just slap up a new dish...nice find.

If ya want I can show ya what you need to do with it, there's nothing to it. :)

That appears to be one of the many Prodelin dishes. But the mount on the back appears to be Channel-Master, with added pipes from side to side.

They probably just house-labeled it.

Those side braces are shown in a prodelin manual I've seen. (don't know where it is right now) Thinking it's a longer focal length model that had them:confused:.

Think the dish itself is actually a ChannelMaster / Andrew.
The diamond shape reinforcing struts molded into the back are the first clue.
Then, isn't "ASC Signal" that company's latest name? :)
Hard to keep up.

I think a Prodelin of that size would have 8(?) radiating wagon wheel spokes molded in.
What are they called now... General Dynamics?

Where did you score it, Danny & Clydes Or the supercuts building on Gause? Those are internet dishes. Have to convert it for FTA, you'll need another LNB likely. From the looks of it that company has taken over from the company that used Prodelins around here. I wouldnt worry about him taking it back, the companies that do the business do NOT reuse old equipment, they just slap up a new dish...nice find.

If ya want I can show ya what you need to do with it, there's nothing to it. :)

Hiya stogie5150,

I just happened to be at the right place at the right time...It came from the conner of Brownswitch Road and Military Road, an old Chevron station being remodeled. The dish was already down on its frame and located at the back north side of the building. There used to be two dishes at that place, a smaller round dish and this one, the small dish was already gone when I talked to the owner. Thanks for the help offer, but the dish is not mine YET... As soon as the dish disposition is settled to me, I will defenitely give you a call, in about two more weeks.

Thanks again.

That appears to be one of the many Prodelin dishes. But the mount on the back appears to be Channel-Master, with added pipes from side to side.

They probably just house-labeled it.

The "Spacenet" brand on the dish is a paper sticker labeled. I promised the guy that I would guard the dish for him, and he agreed that it was a good idea, since the dish was in plain site to the public. LOL!!

Is there any chance of using the present Ku PLL LNB for FTA, if not then what would be the ideal Ku band LNBF to compliment this dish. I do not what to get my hope too high, but just in case.

General Dynamics Satcom. http://www.gdsatcom.com/vsat_gallery.php
Don't think the Andrew/Channel Masters had the side supports attaching to the side of the dish. They [I think] were all into a hole in the lip. I could be wrong. I've not seen one anyway.
'Course, if they're manufactured for someone to their specs. anything's possible.
Anyway ya look at it, it'll be a great acquisition. Got fingers crossed that 'ya don't loose it'.

Beautiful dish! I sure hope you get to keep it. That same dish is listed on Ebay under Viasat Linkstar. Sorry, not sure how to grab the link.

Catamount

Here are the pictures as promised.....Comments are deeply appreciated

That looks like a cool feedhorn and ortho splitter (or whatever their normal name is) to experiment with. You already can receive one polarity with that ku lnb and feedhorn setup. I would pull that larger transmit part off and add a second single polarity lnb, just like the first, but rotated 90 degrees. To attempt to replace the existing setup with any other type of feedhorn or lnb will only cause you signal loss and a loss of money. I have seen similar single polarity lnbs on Ebay for $10 or $15.

Is there any chance of using the present Ku PLL LNB for FTA, if not then what would be the ideal Ku band LNBF to compliment this dish. I do not what to get my hope too high, but just in case.

Yeah, E-man, you will use that LNB and you will need one more. You take the TX part off and bolt up a Ku lnb to the flange. I'll show ya.

I saw those dishes on top of that store but never anyone there. I was kind of surprised that store closed it was always busy.

Looks like the General Dynamics dish , which is probably a rebranded Andrew (newer version of Channel Master). Very nice score, Avenger! Feedhorn should be a standard C-120, after all the other plumbing is removed.

Last edited:
I am taking some notes of what to do and expect if and when I get the dish, so far a new and heavier pole, a new feedhorn, a different LNBF and a new heavier dish mover are needed....Have to decide where in the yard to plant the new pole so the dish have the best clearence and view of the sky, there are two trees that are a possible problem now, and might get worse during the summer when the branches are covered with leaves.

Either way the present Ku dish pole will have to be replaced since it is not plumb anymore after the installation of the much havier freeby 1M dish.

Didn't it come with a non-penetrating roof mount? If it did, are you going to use it?

Tron,

It is on a non-penetrating roof mount, but if I leave it on the ground level then there is very little view of the clear sky, too many things on the way. My yard is small and the wife's garden takes a great deal of space LOL!.....I do not want the dish mounted on the roof if all possible, and I don't think that the neighbors will like it.

Maybe stogie5150 will have a better perpective of where to locate the dish either on the ground or on the pole for a clearer view of the sky.....In about two more weeks I will have to get serious about what to do with this dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts