KULZ Univision C-Band with 90 cm Offset Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
Anyone knows if Univision on C-Band could be get with a 1.2 m Offset Dish from Toronto?

The ones on G3 C-Band?

nope....
The FEC on those channels is 7/8 which means there is very little room for error. A 6 footer is kinda pushing it

Also those chanenls are owned by Equity too so they fall into the same category as the G18 KU stuff

Thanks. What about KLUZ at 91W Galaxy 17?. As per Lyngsat maps maybe a 1.2m Dish will work but I wanted to get confirmation from someone?

Another thing. I know C-Band is not as affected by rain fade as Ku-Band and even the other day every ku dish at home (bell 82W included and I noticed the QPSK TP's came back sooner than the rest 8PSK ones) lost signal but the XM radio (2 Ghz) kept working during the storm. In your opinion how good the quality should be for C-Band not to loose signal during rain?. In other words if I manage to get decent signal (half way the watchable scale) on C-Band with an undersize Dish will it behave like a 90 cm for Ku?. My friends can tolerate Ku-like rain fade as they are already used to it.

Rain Fade affect C-Band ?

I use C-Band a bit.

Rain fade does not really affect receiving C-Band channels.

On my C-Band I have not really noticed any rain fade.

Once I might of noticed some reduced signal quality. But have not lost any channels due to rain fade.

-

Thanks, Lassar, but you are properly using a 10' mesh Dish but I am going to try today to lock this Univision signal with a 90 cm Offset Dish only since a I have several cuban friends already used to watch this channel on 123W Ku. I guess the best thing to do is test it myself with a water hose, lol. I will probably end up using a 1.2 m Offset dish (since it seems to fit the same bracket or 42 mm pole than the 90cm) and a C-band only LNBF. Apparently on that frecuency there is nothing on the 2 degrees adjacent sats.

If I remember right that signal (KLUZ) is pretty strong so a smaller dish might work

4 footer probably

Lassar, I am in the middle of a heavy Rain and Thunderstorm , and yes , your are absolutely right, the one and only C band signal I have managed to get yet with this 90 cm motorised dish (the Word, 91W) it is still working perfectly when even the QPSK Tp's at the new Nimiq 4 82W went down. Usually those few tps on that Bell bird are the last one to go and first to come in (I get 100 Q on almost all of them since they put the new bird).

I guess I do not have to worry about rain fade on C Band , only to be able to lock the freaking Univision signal first , lol. Which is very good news. And being a Cuban I want to use the existing 90 cm Dish , lol.

Thanks. What about KLUZ at 91W Galaxy 17?. As per Lyngsat maps maybe a 1.2m Dish will work but I wanted to get confirmation from someone?
Cant comment with an exact figure, but I do remember that being one of the TP's that a 1.2m could get
On the 6 footer it almost pegs the meter on the Pansat (90-93)

Another thing. I know C-Band is not as affected by rain fade as Ku-Band and even the other day every ku dish at home (bell 82W included and I noticed the QPSK TP's came back sooner than the rest 8PSK ones) lost signal but the XM radio (2 Ghz) kept working during the storm. In your opinion how good the quality should be for C-Band not to loose signal during rain?. In other words if I manage to get decent signal (half way the watchable scale) on C-Band with an undersize Dish will it behave like a 90 cm for Ku?. My friends can tolerate Ku-like rain fade as they are already used to it.
C-band has very little rainfade. I've had torrential downpours and C-Band stayed while KU was gone. I've had 6 inches of snow on the dish and only lost a few points on the meter. C-Band has a much longer wavelength than KU

I guess I won't upgrade my system after all. Not much point in spending another $500 with little to watch. I guess I won't be watching much TV either unless more OTA digital streams become available. There's always DVD's also. Oh well, I should go work out at the gym more anyway......

Well After spending since the weekend on this project to get Univision once it will be removed from the Ku band at 123W I decided to share my experiences so far.

I am using an old (the new ones have a rectangular LNB arm, the old ones is square) Fortec Star 90 cm Offset Dish. I am also using the Gospell C/Universal Ku LNBF and also the Conical Scalar Rings and LNB Conversion Holder that DMS Internacional manufactures. I wanted to try a new 90 cm offset Dish but since the LNB arm is rectangular , the Conversion Holder will not fit in. The old Dish suffered some damage awhile ago after a heavy storm in Toronto that is why I wanted to try a new one.

Well , with the Dish on the motor, I could only get The Word Network signal which uses 1/2 FEC. The birdog can not even lock a signal at the receivers locations (1 is slaved off the other, both CoolSat's) but at the Dish it locks it with not even quality. S/R is around 4.5 and Quality after BER was around 5.

So I decided to use a fixed dish instead , I end up removing the motor (the new dish did not fit the lnb conversion holder because it is rectangular) and reinstalling everything again. For aiming I used the standard ku LNB 0.2 NF it had just to make it easier for me. Then I removed that one and installed the new Gospell C/Ku LNBF. After tweaking a bit the LNBF , I left it at 5 dB S/N as per the birddog (it still locks with 0 quality even at the LNBF).

Now I managed to also get the EWTN signals but still no sign of Univision KULZ just yet. At the recivers quality improved of course (now S/N is .5 dB higher) and will keep trying tweaking the LNBF a bit just enough to get Univision.

Sunny and hot day today in Toronto and I am also pretty happy with the performance of this LNBF which at least for me it performs well for both Ku and C band.

Still I beleive that for most aplicattions I will need to use a 1.2 m Dish at least since I am not using any switches , just 2 stb's slaved.

You probably will have to upgrade to a 1.2m dish.

You have the correct frequency info logged in?
4007 H 2475?

One thing I noticed with the 6 footer is it takes a little time (3-4 seconds) to lock the signal

Thanks Iceberg and yes I am using the right parameters and both CS lock the EWTN and The Word signals pretty fast.

The highest S/N level I managed to get after tweaking the LNBF slowly more is 5.7 dB with q after BER being 37 but still no sign of the Univision TP not even at the LNBF with the birdog. The birdog still locks the signal with 0 quality (pre BER) and 80 dBmicroV I beleive. I have not tried more TP's though since I am only interested in KULZ.

I guess I will need a Van to bring the 1.2m Dish home tomorrow. But even a 1.2m is going to be a problem for some of my friends since their systems are motorised and that implies also upgrading the motor. I guess we will have to move to Miami , lol , which is not a bad idea after all, lol.

I also noticed that when I peaked the C-Band then the Ku side of the LNBF was not good. Any how there is no interesting channels for me on the Ku side of this 91W bird so I am not worried about it for now but it will be something to remember for some other potential birds.

KLUZ reception in Toronto

Hi HD Fan,

I also live in the GTA and I have received this channel on a 4 foot Fortec offset dish using an HH 120 STAB USALS motor. I used the BSC 621-2 lnbf with scalar ring. I have recently upgraded to a 6 foot Fortec prime focus dish.

I can tell you that this channel KLUZ is the strongest signal on that satellite for me. I never tried cband with anything less than a 120 cm dish so I can't tell you specifically about reception with a 90 cm dish

Thanks vittles69. Wow! I can only get The Word and EWTN (maybe because I am an atheist, lol) so far and everybody seems to get the other ones very strong (with 1.2 of course). I could not find a local store selling the 1.2m Dish with the small square LNB Arm (the only one that has one , the arm is rectangular) to fit the Conversion Holder that comes with the Conical Scalar so I will buy the 6 footer tomorrow and in the future motorise that one.

BTW today after the storm , signal increased on The Word dramatically and probably as a result of interference from the adjacent bird I lost the EWTN channels. During the storm The Word kept working but I lost all my Ku once again.

The whole idea was to get Univision somehow, at the minimal cost of course, on C-Band with the existing motorised or fixed Ku setup (90 cm preferably). Going 1.2m is not an option for some of my friends as it implies upgrading the motor as well and more room on their balconies. So , I think I will be facing a deportation order effective this Saturday at 8 pm just in time for Sabado Gigante, lol. For some others I will go the 1.2m/stab 120 route and for my self the 6 footer just for fun.

Well I finally pulled the plug and got myself a fortec Star 6 footer with Polar Mount. Under Heavy Rain warning now so I will start assembling the monster later today. Hopefully the panels are not flimpsy like the old FC90 90 cm Fortec I have, naive me probably, lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts