KYOU-TV Studio in Ottumwa, IA

Route66Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2019
Missouri
I've found out, recently, that KYOU-TV, Ch. 15 in Ottumwa, IA, uses an old McDonald's restaurant building as a TV studio. They've been using that building since the mid 1980's. Also, I've heard they had expanded, or remodeled, the building in the mid 2010's for their newscasts.
KYOUSTUDIO.png

How are they able to operate out of this building. Is their master control located elsewhere?

You would be surprised how little space is needed for master control operations, if they’re not outsourced to a different location.
On another website, it was mentioned that KYOU-TV master control could be hubbed at KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids, IA. I am also thinking that did have their master control located here before they launched their in house newscasts.

I've found out, recently, that KYOU-TV, Ch. 15 in Ottumwa, IA, uses an old McDonald's restaurant building as a TV studio. They've been using that building since the mid 1980's. Also, I've heard they had expanded, or remodeled, the building in the mid 2010's for their newscasts.
View attachment 150117
How are they able to operate out of this building. Is their master control located elsewhere?

Looks like an old Burger King

Reactions: FTA4PA
Looks like an old Burger King
What makes McDonald's different is the individual brown panels underneath each window, which had the Golden Arches logo inside each one. Also note, that the huge middle window (which was usually plastered with a large version of the McDonald's logo) was taken out and replaced with a large paneled wood wall (where the KYOU-TV sign is currently placed on the front of the building), insome cases, a new window is put in its place. When McDonald's closes their old locations in a relocation (or to permanently close altogether), they remove every trace of the golden arches and smooth out the mansard roof in the process...