L2.39 Released for the 522 & 625

I was one of the first to get 2.39, and since then I've noticed (mainly while using the # search function) that it has been going into Disk Diagnostics a LOT lately. In the past 2 days alone, I've seen it do Diagnostics three times.

The audio dropouts aren't so much an annoyance now as having to stop watching TV for about 10 minutes at a time, because the reciever is being picky.

...Can I go into the box and add another RAM memory module to keep it from doing all this!?? lol

I didn't get 2.39 untill it went out to everyone. I still have just as many audio drops and video artifacts as with any software version. Some days we don't have any problems, others they are so bad you can't watch the show. I think these glitches have nothing to do with the software version.

You might want to pull the hard drive put it into the a computer and use the hard drive manufacturers software to do a complete disk diagnostic to map out any bad sectors then reformat writing 00 to all sectors then put it back into the 522 it will then setup the dirve just like a new drive and that may fix all your drive diagnotic problems but again it might not help at all it could just be a software problem not a disk drive hardware problem.

I still have audio drop outs everytime I am watching a pre-recorded show and both timers fire in the background if only one timer fires then I might not have a audio drop out but its a 50/50 bet.

I had L236 prior to getting L239 when L235 and L239 became the supported software versions so far I have not really noticed any major differences between L236 and L239 except the system info screen. The ocassional video breakups are about the same and the audio drop outs are still the same and I really hate having to push the select button twice to wake up the unit. If they could just fix the audio drop outs when the timers fire I would be a happy 522 user I do a lot of prime time recording and that is when I am normally watching TV as well so the video drop outs are really anoying.

P.S. Now see what you have done complaining about the 522 you got me started about its short comming as well I was somewhat content before you got me thinking about what I disliked about it.

Is it just me??? I now have the latest software 2.39 and it now appears to me that when the program grid is displayed (I use the standard mode with partial video) and it looks like the guide and picture (of the current show in the box) does NOT go all the way to the right hand side of the screen now! There is some space between the grid and the side of the tv... yet, when the guide is not displayed, the picture fills the screen... anyone else notice this?

I have replecated the "SEARCH OF DEATH!!" Anytime I do a search, and then hit 'cancel' to get out (NOT 'view tv' or any other button), it does a Disk Diagnostics for 8 minutes. I did that three times last night, just to make sure.

If you have 2.39 for the 522, DO NOT hit cancel while in search mode!
(Echostar: you can fix this at any time... thanks!)

I've noticed something else with 2.39, although it had not repeated enough to say it's definitely a 2.39 thing or maybe something else.

I'm occassionally seeing video dropouts in recorded shows. A bit of pixellation here and there (I've always had that) but then followed by a second or two of totally black screen. Then recovery. I saw this on two shows yesterday. They were both recorded the same day, a few days previous. Maybe it was raining back then, maybe there was some other satellite issue ... I don't know. I'll wait and see if it happens again. It's actually in the recording, not a simple playback glitch. I've just never run into a black screen dropout issue before.

Bizzach said:
I have replecated the "SEARCH OF DEATH!!" Anytime I do a search, and then hit 'cancel' to get out (NOT 'view tv' or any other button), it does a Disk Diagnostics for 8 minutes. I did that three times last night, just to make sure.

If you have 2.39 for the 522, DO NOT hit cancel while in search mode!
(Echostar: you can fix this at any time... thanks!)

It's also in the 2.35, I couldn't search at all until 2.39. If i wanted to search for a show, I had to do a dish pass just to see when the next show would be on the air.

maybe dropouts and pixellation under 239 are simply because they are in the data that was written ot the HD with your previous versions? I am now at 239 yet.. have stuff a month old recorded under 235 or whaterver.

Slyster said:
maybe dropouts and pixellation under 239 are simply because they are in the data that was written ot the HD with your previous versions? I am now at 239 yet.. have stuff a month old recorded under 235 or whaterver.

Not for me. 2.36 or 2.37 was really good for these issues on my machine, but 2.39 records shows with all the drops and pixellation that eariler versions did.

Yeah.. not long after my post.. a new show recorded with 239 had dropouts followed by that pixellation :(

I've noticed that, not only am I having more than I had with 2.36, they are a bit longer too. They were just a brief dropout. Now, they seem to be as long as two or three seconds.

I went from 2.35 to 2.39. The only difference I noticed was longer pixelation issues with the new one.

I think I have finally given up hoping Dish will ever fix this box. How can they burn through 4 new versions of the software and end up with something that is the same, or just a little worse? What kind of engineer accidentaly programs a bug where you have to press the "on" button twice, and leaves it there for three new versions?

I'm thinking I will move on from Dish after my contract runs out in September. By then, the 522 will probably only record Lifetime, and you will have to press the remote buttons the day before you want something to happen.

Tuner 2 not recovering

Ever since I got 2.39 my tuner 2 does not recover if signal is lost during a thunderstorm.

Take for instance if a storm rolls through and both tuners lose signal, after the storm is gone, tuner 1 recovers without me having to do anything... and any timers it is set to record will work fine. Tuner 2 however will sit at the system info screen and miss any and all timers set for tuner 2 until someone in the house realizes it and hits the select button to get out of system info.

**Edit: I'll have to wait for it to do it again, but I may be wrong, it may be the check switch screen that tuner 2 goes to and doesn't recover. I called tech support and they played dumb (I thought), but I told them the system info screen. If it is the check switch screen then maybe he really didn't have anything in the knowledge base about it.

Just ran into an interesting new issue. I was recording a program while watching it. I tried to skip back 10 seconds. When I hit the Skip Back button, it jumped all the way to back to the beginning (over 25 minutes). I got back to live TV and tried to simply rewind it. It immediately jumped back to the beginning and started playing over. Fast forward and Skip Forward both work fine. For some reason, it's unable to skip back or rewind. I haven't hard the opportunity to try and duplicate it so it may or may not be an isolated issue.

While watching a recording in progress the other night we used the skip forward to skip commercials. After hitting it a few times the "Live TV" icon appeared. We thought we must have caught up to live TV but when we hit pause it showed that were still about 1/2 hour behind. We tried skipping forward again and it worked fine.

Another uncommon trend of the 522?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)