L617 and The Beast 1080P - Does it work?

That's my point smith. I don't think it upconverts non 1080p content as the poster suggested. I think it only plays the 1080p content that is available.

So the 922 always does 1080p? I initially was not convinced that I needed this guy ... this has got me thinking ...

Anyway ... those folks that have got The Beast to work ... what mode is your receiver in ... dual mode or single?

I wonder if the mode has something to do with it. I have mine in dual mode.

Thanks ...

Dual Mode

Why wouldn't the 922 play ALL content at 1080p when this receiver will have this option built into the resolution menu? The internet video might not play at full 1080p by itself like it does on SOME 622/722 receivers, but the receiver will Upconvert all video to 1080p. So either way it will be 1080p.

Upconverting 1080i or 720p to 1080p is nothing. All DLP, LCD and Plasma displays that display1080 lines of resolution already up convert 1080i and 720p and even 480p to 1080p, because the display technology itself is progressive and CANNOT display interlaced signals.

Up converted signal is no better than the original material that it was fed (you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear) whether it is done in the receiver or in the display.

Some of you won't appreciate this:

I'm in dual-mode.

Yup ... don't appreciate it one bit ;)

For what is is worth, when I download, my DishONLINE file list display looks like yours.

When I try playing the episode though ... my TV says 1080i.

My recommendation is to send an email to dish. The theory being "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." If enough of us "squeak" hopefully they will fix it.

They typically ask for the below information, it usually saves an email if you provide this to them upfront.

Account Number:
Phone Number:
Receiver Model:
Software Version:
Boot Strap Version:
Receiver CA ID:
Smart Card CA ID:

Here is the email link

I had sent an email to the Dish Quality Assurance Department asking about the problem of not being able to view The Beast in 1080P even though the VOD 1080P movie test works. I had a reply today - a portion of which is...

I did some investigation into this issue and found that this is a known
issue. Our Engineering team is currently working on a fix for it. Please
be patient as this is a complex issue and may take some time to get
resolved.

So, hey, there is still hope.

Has anyone confirmed that the content downloaded by those who can play it at 1080p is actually any different that that downloaded by those who can only play it at 1080i?

There is no reason why everyone couldn't get the same download, and the 1080p24 pulled down to 1080i60 by the receiver. That's exactly what a Blu-ray player does when it outputs 1080i60.

If the content is the same, then a good deinterlacer could reconstruct the 1080p24 from the 1080i60, and it wouldn't matter whether the receiver output was 1080i or 1080p.

I had sent an email to the Dish Quality Assurance Department asking about the problem of not being able to view The Beast in 1080P even though the VOD 1080P movie test works. I had a reply today - a portion of which is...

I did some investigation into this issue and found that this is a known
issue. Our Engineering team is currently working on a fix for it. Please
be patient as this is a complex issue and may take some time to get
resolved.

So, hey, there is still hope.

Yup ... this is what I get too ... but again ... the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

With every new episode, I attempt a download, and if (err when) it does not play in 1080p, off an email goes to Dish. Hopefully if enough people squeak, it will move up on their priority list to fix ... that is the theory anyway ... :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts