L618 Software Bug Thread

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Dish is spooling out the L618 software release to the ViP 622 & 722 receivers, if you have problems with this software please list them here...and as always; Please keep this on bug reports and trouble reports only. Please do not use this thread as a discussion thread.

If someone has a buttload of timers ( say 60 or more ) test the skip on a set timer. After I got .18 I froze big time and the only thing new was the update.

it might be unrelated but it did start after I got the update. I skipped programs every day for years and then it would freeze and do an autoreboot after it timed out.

But again it's probably just bad timing on my end

Closed Captions on CH5 in the SF Bay Area

L6.17 had a problem with closed captioning on CH5 (CBS) in the SF Bay Area.
OTA was fine but the same station via satelite had the captions flashing too
fast to read. This impacted both my VIP622 and VIP722. This was during
live broadcasts as well as recordings.

The VIP622 was updated to L6.18 last night and the captions are now working
on CH5 both in OTA and via satelite. The VIP722 has not been updated yet and still has the problem.

Ray Schwarz

If someone has a buttload of timers ( say 60 or more ) test the skip on a set timer. After I got .18 I froze big time and the only thing new was the update.

it might be unrelated but it did start after I got the update. I skipped programs every day for years and then it would freeze and do an autoreboot after it timed out.

But again it's probably just bad timing on my end

I have 6.18 on my 722. I have 70 timers set. I tried skipping one here and there tonight with no problems. It restored them fine too.

On mine with 618 I set and restored a skip with 89 timers.
CC is working on SD and HD.
I feel 617 improved the likelihood of CC not dropping off. We'll see about 618.
-Ken

I have 6.18 on my 722. I have 70 timers set. I tried skipping one here and there tonight with no problems. It restored them fine too.

What a relief - I skip about 15-20 frickin iCarly episodes a week due to generic info which the 622 defaults to record. That would have sucked.

I just got the software update yesterday or today and I am still getting audio dropouts. I was getting them on Cartoon Network HD on L6.17 but today I got it on HBOSG (302 HD). I called in finally and complained a bit and they said it was a signal issue or at least their supervisor said it was. Kinda hard to believe.

EDIT: The guy came out today and I told him my readouts. He said that the readings were fine and replaced my 622 with a 722. This is kinda nice of him to do this because the 722 has a larger hard drive but otherwise identical. He also said that there would be no charge for it. My 622 got reported as defective. So let see. I didn't get charged for the receiver or the trip. I like that. ;)

Last edited:
My 722 is set to download updates at 3AM. I turned on my tv Tuesday night at 6:53PM and the 722 was downloading the L618 update. It went into my 7pm recordings 5 minutes to complete the download and then started recording my 7PM timers five minutes late. I had three timers for 7Pm that I missed the start of all three programs. How the hell can this happen. Dish, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Ok not sure if this is related to 618, but my 622 received the 618 update either last night or the night before. The 622 is now either not recording some timers and starting them late. In the DVR list one program in question that did not record at all today says that the recording was done (not skipped). I rebooted today of course so we will see if this stops, but the only thing that has changed is getting 618 so we will see.

The last couple of days I keep losing all of my OTA channels. They will be working fine and then all of them stop working at once. I do not get the normal "tuning error" message, just a black screen with 0% signal. If I reboot the 622 they start working again.

As soon as this started happening I came here and noticed that L618 had been launched. I checked and I have it. I have never had OTA problems before. I hope they fix this soon, because I use OTA alot.:mad:

The last couple of days I keep losing all of my OTA channels. They will be working fine and then all of them stop working at once. I do not get the normal "tuning error" message, just a black screen with 0% signal. If I reboot the 622 they start working again.

As soon as this started happening I came here and noticed that L618 had been launched. I checked and I have it. I have never had OTA problems before. I hope they fix this soon, because I use OTA alot.:mad:

I've had that happen to me from time to time in the past. Not very often, but maybe once every few months.

After receiving a new update, it is a good idea to unplug the Dish DVR (when nothing is recording or due to start for 10 minutes) for 10-20 seconds and then plug it back in.

My 722 is set to download updates at 3AM. I turned on my tv Tuesday night at 6:53PM and the 722 was downloading the L618 update. It went into my 7pm recordings 5 minutes to complete the download and then started recording my 7PM timers five minutes late. I had three timers for 7Pm that I missed the start of all three programs. How the hell can this happen. Dish, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

The new software download is NOT time dependent. It is done whenever your receiver is inactive and it sees an update is available.

This same exact thing happened with my 622 a couple of weeks ago after I received the L618 update. I posted the problem on the other forum and didn't get any response. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one to experience this, I was afraid my 622 was starting to die.

After reading someone's advice about deleting then re-scanning the local channels for a similar problem I tried that and it has not happened since.

I have 6.18. I'm having frequent audio dropouts with HDNet Movies (and HDNet) when the show is DVR recorded. Some movies and shows are more affected than others.
For example, I decided to test it thoroughly yesterday, and watched "Little Big Man" at 9:30 PM, "Bonnie and Clyde" at 12:00 AM, and "Little Big Man" again at 2:00 AM, and recorded all three shows. I experienced no dropouts at all when watching them live. Nonetheless, when I rewound and rewatched parts of them, what were before dropout-free scenes had sometimes audio dropouts, although *only* with "Little Big Man," on *BOTH* time slots and around approximately the same places!
So it looks to me like these were problems with the "Little Big Man" stream originating from the HDNet source, problems that affect *ONLY* DVR watching. For example, if the problem was with the sat signal (which by the way is strong and perfect), I would not have had audio dropouts around the same scenes on both broadcasts of "Little Big Man" and no dropout with "Bonnie and Clyde."
By the way, I changed *ALL POSSIBLE* settings of my ViP622 and the dropouts wouldn't disappear.

L618RJXD-N

I heard my 722 reboot twice this morning when I was getting ready for work so I'm pretty sure I got the update this morning.

Today my wife is complaining about the unit freezing up for 30 or so seconds every once in a while when she's watching recorded programs. The video just freezes on a frame and stops updating the screen, and the 722 becomes completely unresponsive to the remote control. Just have to sit and wait for it to become responsive again. It is almost as if some runaway process is consuming all the resources on the box.

Anyway, I told her to reboot it again when she can, but I won't have much/any time to try and experience the problem first-hand tonight.

EDIT: Turns out my problems are related to the guide not downloading. The download progress bar will hit 75-100% and sit there for ~5 more minutes then the 722 will reboot (likely why I heard it reboot twice Wednesday morning). I don't have guide info for more than the next airing show. DVR timers are inaccessible without it and sometimes I can't even get into the DVR menu to watch a recorded show without a "024" error popping up. I've gone through some minor troubleshooting steps for the "024" and discovered that I've got good signal strength on all three of my sats (110, 119, 129) and I've done a check switch. Now I'm waiting to see if the check switch has helped.

Yet another EDIT: I no longer believe my problems are related to the firmware release. Pretty sure my 722 is simply dying/dead.

Last edited:
I have this problem too when there are storms in the area. Last night we had some severe thunderstorms. I was watching stuff on my DVR that had been recorded at a time when reception was great so there was no problem with the recordings.

The problem is that while I was watching the DVR program, it kept interrupting me with 002 (satelite signal lost) and 739 (OTA signal lost) for channels that I was not even watching. I have to hit the DVR and the View Live TV buttons to get the channel back but like the post above, the channel came right back.

The stupid 002 and 739 error screens stay on the screen until clicked off. Is there any way to keep these boxes from being displayed while watching DVR? There is no reason to show these boxes when watching DVR.

I have a 622 box with L618 in the Austin Tx area.

Have a problem with 618 and local channels around here - local channels freeze up and pixelate frequently. It does not seem to happen on any other channels but local ones. Very frustrating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)