L618 Software Bug Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
In the past couple of weeks, my 722 running 6.18 has frozen up at least 3 or 4 times. It usually occurs while deleting a recording that I just finished watching. The only way to restore activity is to reboot. I've lost a few minutes of multiple recordings due to the reboot-gap. Tonite, for the first time, one recording failed to resume after the reboot.

And, of course, there's still the ongoing and annoying sound drop outs...

I have a VIP722 connected by HDMI with L618. I have occasional audio burps with pixelation on local HDTV stations. This is not on the actual OTA without VIP722 .The audio goes brrrrp and pixelation, from very slight to medium occurs for about a second and then back to normal. This occurs about 1 or 2 times an hour whether I am recording or not. I occurs at same spot on recordings. This has happened since L616. I didn't get L615. L614 worked good.
Ron Smith
Des Moines, IA

In the past couple of weeks, my 722 running 6.18 has frozen up at least 3 or 4 times. It usually occurs while deleting a recording that I just finished watching. The only way to restore activity is to reboot. I've lost a few minutes of multiple recordings due to the reboot-gap. Tonite, for the first time, one recording failed to resume after the reboot.

And, of course, there's still the ongoing and annoying sound drop outs...
I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, but my DVR just died a day or two ago. It had the same symptoms as yours and also had software L618. Audio drop outs and receiver freezing up on recorded files. Eventually the HD died and I had to call Dish. I got a new one but they said my external hard drive may be formatted?! Sometimes I hate Dish.

The only issue I'm having is with autotune timers. I've had autotune timers that have worked "forever" for both TV1 and TV2 for the local NBC station at 4:30am every day so my wife can wake up to news and then the Today show. The TV itself also has a timer that she enables during the week so the TV turns on automatically.

Every morning recently I've gotten poked in the ribs with the remote because the timers didn't fire, instead when the TV popped it was just the dish screensaver. Actually after I think more about it (not very alert that time of the morning), the timer must have actually fired, because when I turned it on it was on the desired channel which was not the channel it was on the night before. For some reason it doesn't bring the box out of standby mode anymore.
Just got done chatting with tech support, they confirmed this is a known issue and will be fixed in the "next update" whenever that is.

VIP722 with 6.18 last night started freezing then rebooting when attempting to delete something in the to do list or delete a timer. Same problem happening tonight -- it automatically reboots but when it's back up and attempt to perform a delete of something in to do list or timer same thing happens.

The DVR is responsive and working fine to change from menu to menu or watch things that have been recorded, problem only occurs when attempting to delete something from to do list or timer. Have had the DVR for quite some time (1.5 years?) and never any problems at all.

Made sure nothing recording and unplugged unit then boot up but same auto reboot problem exists. By the way it freezes/reboots when attempting to delete even if no recording going on in DVR (which has been true 90% of the time when I've attempted to delete something in to do list or timer).

Hard drive going bad???

Still having same problem as I describe above, here's the chat transcript with DISH tonight where I told them auto reboot problem only occurs if I attempt to skip a scheduled event or delete a timer otherwise DVR working perfectly normal watching recorded programs, navigating among menus, watching live TV, etc.:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]!-- div { line-height: 18px; }--> [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.
You have been connected to (24DrDepT) Moises S. D88.
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: I’m very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you.
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: How long have you had this problem?
Wayne Reibold: I've unplugged the unit and that didn't help either
Wayne Reibold: started 3 nights ago
Wayne Reibold: have had DVR for probably 1.5 years never a problem
Wayne Reibold: DVR still works fine watching something recorded, navigating between menus, etc.
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Well this is a very unusual issue.
Wayne Reibold: Problem ONLY occurs if I try and skip a scheduled event or delete a timer -- everytime I attempt it it reboots
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Could you please press menu twice on the remote.
Wayne Reibold: I tried it from the DISH Remote Access site and it doesn't work from there either
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Ok.
Wayne Reibold: I'm not near the DVR/TV, would have to run downstairs, after I click Menu twice what else do you want me to do while I'm down there?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Did you get system info?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Please get software version.
Wayne Reibold: ok, will be right back
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Sure.
Wayne Reibold: L618RJKDN
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Thank you.
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Unfortunately since this is a very unusual issue we do not have an immediate solution your feedback will be forwarded to our engineering department to investigate this further.
Wayne Reibold: OK
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: I do apologize for the inconvenience.
Wayne Reibold: it is odd because DVR works perfectly normally except for doing the two things I mention
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Yes it is very odd.
Wayne Reibold: but unfortunately we have a lot of timers and I'm used to going through the scheduled list and skipping things so there isn't so much stuff that gets recorded
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: I understand hopefully we find a fix for this issue.
Wayne Reibold: I moved a bunch of stuff to the external hard drive and we now have about 32 hours of available HD space on hard drive so hard drive space isn't an issue
Wayne Reibold: even before I did that we had probably 18 hours of HD available so hard drive wasn't full at all
Wayne Reibold: is there a case # or something I can check status on?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: No sir unfortunately we dont handle case numbers.
Wayne Reibold: how will I be contacted about this?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: There wont be a call back this is just an internal report for your issue.
Wayne Reibold: what I'm getting at is how will I know how DISH plans on fixing my issue???
Wayne Reibold: this is a serious issue and I can't just live with it indefinitely
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Well I apologize sir but we do not have a process in which you get contacted for such issues.
Wayne Reibold: your comments make no sense
Wayne Reibold: my DVR doesn't work, how am I going to be contacted to get it fixed???????!
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Well it is a software issue sir there is no need for you to do anything.
Wayne Reibold: you're sure it's a software issue?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: Yes sir.
Wayne Reibold: meaning a new software version was recently downloaded to my DVR and caused this problem?
(24DrDepT) Moises S. D88: It could be that. Usually this issues are solved with another upgrade.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

I am also having the same problem with the 722k timers.
Any change to a timer (skip, restore, delete, change priorities or change resolutions) that would cause the “Please wait while we searching for your events" type message use to pop-up. Instead of that pop-up it freezes right after hitting DONE (TV show will still be playing in the little screen). It then times out into an auto-reboot.
Never the less, I will say that after it starts back up the changes I made do take and gets saved. I just got to remember not to screw with my timers while it’s recording. LOL

Last edited:
722K Freezing

I get the auto reboot even if I'm not recording anything at the time. You're saying for you it only reboots if you're recording something at the time?

I didn't mean that, it does the freezing thing recording or not.
Before I watch a show I record it first. I wasn’t paying attention that TV2 was recording Breaking Bad and I was setting my Dish Pass Family Guy to SD only. It froze and reboot. Believe or not the DVR created 17 one minute clips of Breaking Bad. Now I missed the season finale.:river

My 622 will not recongnize 129 at all in the check switch test. I am using legacy LNBs and a SW64 switch. With the switch installed, it does not recongize 129, and reports an "x" for each tuner. Last night I removed the switch and installed the 129 lnb directly to the 622. After running the test, it reported an error, and the results show an "x" for both tuners. I do see locked signal strength in the upper 50s to lower 60s for the AK spot beam transponders (5, 7, 9, 10, & 12) if I scroll through them.
(I am in AK and do not receive the conus tps, so I do not know if that is contributing to the problem.)

722 occasionally won't record complete program

For example, tried to watch a 1 hr 58 min movie tonight and it cut off and said 'DONE" after 17 minutes.

Dish is sending me a replacement. Is there a way to transfer my recorded programs from the old 722 to the new 722. ?? Please advise!!

(I'm guessing this is L618 related, but if not I can repost it in the regular technical discussion threads instead of this sticky thread)

For the past few weeks (ever since I started getting free HBO/Showtime preview) I noticed the following:

When I go to tune into a live channel (seems to be one of the HBO/Showtime channels only) the DVR asks me if I want to record the show instead of just tuning to it. (And no, I'm not pressing record on that channel)

I have the system locked and need to enter my code when I view a channel that has SC. It seems like the DVR only asks me erroneously to record the show instead of simply tuning to the channel when it is one that requires me to put my code in to view the channel. If I cancel out of the record setup popup then I can enter in the channel number a second time and it will tune to the channel. Strange issue that I can definitely live with, just thought I'd mention it.

Here's a typical sequence of events:
  1. Watching a regular channel (say Discovery HD)
  2. Flip through the guide and see a movie worth checking out on one of the HBO/Showtime channels
  3. Press select to tune into the channel with I have as a 3-month free preview
  4. DVR recording window pops up asking me if I want to record the remainder of the event
  5. Cancel out of the record setup window
  6. Press select again on the guide window to tune into the channel
  7. Popup message requests my 4-digit code to unlock the channel because it's locked
  8. Actually get to see the show
As you can see, it's not a big pain because it is only adding in steps #4-6, just odd. Anyone else seeing this or have a fix?

P.S. I also noticed that when I search for upcoming movies that many movies that are playing on HBO also show up as listed on my local NBC channel in the 5000 channel range. Some kind of mapping issue it looks like, so I have to make sure that I check the channel number before setting up a recording so that it's not accidentally recording NBC at the time the HBO movie is playing.

P.S. I also noticed that when I search for upcoming movies that many movies that are playing on HBO also show up as listed on my local NBC channel in the 5000 channel range. Some kind of mapping issue it looks like, so I have to make sure that I check the channel number before setting up a recording so that it's not accidentally recording NBC at the time the HBO movie is playing.

Yes, I have the same channel mapping problem with 6.18, it's really quite annoying.

I can't see how else the receiver would think that a channel has a movie on it that it doesn't really have unless there was some map-down problem (but then again I don't know how it all works). Hopefully they address this in the next software release.

I've only noticed this since L618:

When I start watching a show while it is recording, when the recording ends the viewing of that show ends as well. For example, I have a timer for a show from 9 to 10 PM. At 0930 I start watching the show and at 1000 it stops. I have to go into the recordings and start the viewing of the recording again and FF to the spot I need, there is no Resume button. This has happened to me at least three times since L618 and I remember it working properly (not ending the viewing) before....

this just happened to me the other night. i tried to reproduce it while watching another recording in progress the next day and it worked fine . . . :confused:

random non-reproducible bugs, FTL!!

i guess i should be thankful that 6.21 stopped rolling out before it updated my 722 ;)

Tonight while watching a DVR of Burn Notice from Thursday I had no skip back. :confused: Every time I hit skip back it skiped forward. But rewind worked. So later while watching a DVR of Mental it was fine and so was live TV.:confused:
I have 621.
I guess I should just be happy it's not a D* DVR.:rolleyes:

I don't know if this is L618 related or not, but I skipped a timer, then went to record the show manually after it started and it gave no indication of NOT recording the show, but it wouldn't record. I ended up having to delete the skipped timer (restoring it wouldn't work) and then manually record the remainder of the show to get it to record. It took me 5-10 minutes to figure it out so I missed some of the show (especially since I had a PPV recording on the other tuner). Not a big issue since I've never done this before and don't plan on ever doing it again, but it ought to record manually when you press record even if you skipped the event (even if it was skipped because of a lower priority confilct).

Last week a timer for Bachlorette(my wife's recording) said failed to record error 04. The next week it recorded all of it and this week it recorded 27 minutes of it and ended the program early. . All were set to record with a timer for all new programs. ie: season pass.

Anyone else have this problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)