La Liga Season 2007-2008 on WorldSportHD

What do I know about Eurail tickets? In a word----nothing Sorry. Can't you book renfe tickets on the web? That's a surprise...although normally you should be OK turning up at the station a couple of days in advance

Horsey I have dishnetwork did you just call up and say give me the French package do they have any other types of these pacs?

You should look at the website in international programming. When you click on French, the default is to get you to buy the "French Bouquet" package with a few channels. But I only wanted one (3A Telesud) which I eventually figured out that I could buy a la carte. BUT it turns out they are not showing the African Cup, my information on that was wrong. I haven't had time to look into it, but I have read that when it gets past the group stage that some other international channel will have it, but I don't know yet.

Just got home. Watching the second half of today's game.

Looks like that's the league then...

Now Barca will be even more motivated to beat my Celtic in the CL

great game. Barca let atletico in the game by not wanting to finish them up. Atletico was lucky, Barca could have two or three goals but it was not meant to be. Maybe if Eto or Ronaldiho were there it would have been different. Great game. RM has the championship wrapped up? Do you think?

Sean: Hate to be pedantic, but it's Athletic Club Bilbao....Atletico is Madrid.

Athletic Bilbao have always kept the name they were given when they were founded - in part by english engineers in the town - back in 1898.

They had to change the name to Atletico Bilbao during the fascist Franco regime, because Athletic was not considered 'Spanish' enough, but as soon as he died and democracy returned, it went straight back to Athletic.

Personally, i think Barca were a bit liucky to get away with a draw They only had one shot on target all game.

Remember Barca have no Eto'o and Dinho, but Athletic are without Etxeberria, Amorebieta and Gorka (their best goalkeeper).
But yeah the league does look to be Madrid's to lose...

See you in Zaragoza (I think)

So, looks like the next game will be Zaragoza-Athletic on Sunday, 2/3/2008 @ 11AM ET

hate to be pedantic...but the Nou in Camp Nou is pronounced "no" not "now"...and it's berna-(bay-you) not berna ("bow" rhymes with "cow")..cheers

Paul! I just heard you are moving on from La Liga on WSHD to a job near your home in England! I will miss you in my living room every weekend. :(

Thanks for all your info here through the broadcast rights nonsense, it's been very helpful. I couldn't help notice how many Bilbao games WSHD ended up doing this year and it seemed like half of the La Ligas profiles were on Athletic players. I guess you didn't hate that. ;)

Anyways, good luck to you.

Ha ha: the main reason we have done so many Athletic games this season is that we can get into San Mames - they have a contract with Mediapro - I have no say in the matter.

But yes, Sunday is my last game (unless I can sneak back now and then). I am going back to my hometown Kingston Upon Hull, to become Sports Editor of the local paper (Hull Daily Mail).

It is going to be a massive change and I have to say I would only have left to go back 'home'...I will be very sad to stop doing the live games, even though this year has been a slog with trips every weekend.

Anyhow, my last game is Sunday - Zaragoza v Athletic. Lets hope my boys can see me off on a high note.

Once again many many thanks for saying nice things about us. It's good to know people like what we do and it is appreciated a great deal.

Here is what Paul posted at WorldSportHD.com (in invisible ink I think):

January 28th

It was very foggy in Bilbao this morning. A strange kind of fog that hung low in the valleys (ie where the airport is) and left the hilltops in bright clear sunlight.

Planes were delayed, or in some cases abandoned so that TV reporters could travel home by bus and avoid the nerve jangling sensation of turbulence. OK; I know I am a coward, but I HATE flying.

But as I sat back in the comfy bus seat, plugged in my headphones and dug out my book, I couldn't help but reflect on how the weather can indeed be a metaphor for many things in life, especially football.

Trust and Englishman to start talking about the weather I suppose, but on Sunday night's showing, Barca are lost in a deep grey fog at the moments, while their bitter and eternal rivals Real Madrid are indeed standing on the hilltops, bathing in bright sunlight.

We were starting to get the impression that this was going to be Real Madrid's a few weeks back. That feeling was strengthened after their win in the Camp Nou, which left them seven points clear at the top of the table.

After a thrilling win over Villarreal coupled with Barca's slip up in San Mames, that lead is now up to nine points.

However, it is not just the fact they are nine clear that is so significant, it is the way both sides are currently playing. Against Athletic, Barcelona looked as if they were willing to sit on a 1-0 lead and hope for the best. Suffice to say it didn't work out for them and Athletic made them pay.

Although we have to give credit to Athletic for showing guts and digging deep to fight back, Barca had virtually nothing in common with the side that swept its way to two consecutive league titles. Despite all of their talent, they looked nervous and played like a small club.

It was as if you could see them thinking 'Let's see if we can hold on.' An intent highlighted by the entry of Edmilson into the game in the second half.

Madrid on the other hand produced a thrilling end to end game against Villarreal. We saw how good Villarreal are a fortnight ago when they destroyed Valencia, but Madrid's attitude was 'You score three and we will score four.' That is the attitude of Champions.

On a personal note now and the match in San Mames was my penultimate for World Sport. I have been given the chance to return to work in my hometown of Kingston Upon Hull, in the North of England and it's not often you get the offer to return home to work.

It is indeed the sort of offer you just cannot refuse. So next weekend's game, wherever it is, will be my swansong. I will be sad to leave as commentating matches week in week out has been a blast and a lot of fun. But I know I am leaving you in the safe and very capable hands of Mr Sid Lowe and who knows I may even get the odd guest appearance now and then.

As I say it's been a blast. Thanks for all your support and for one last time: Cheers
PAUL.

Ps The only thing I wont miss is the flying.

Paul, I am very sorry to hear about you leaving WorldSport. We will miss your passionate and informative commentary every weekend. And of course we will miss your regular updates on this forum! (If we could only convince Sid and whoever replaces you to pick up wher you left off!)

At the same time I am happy for you that you will get a chance to work at home. I can't even imagine spending several years on the road (especially if you hate flying)! :D

Good luck and many thanks to you!!! :hatsoff:

P.S. Hey, could you guys make an appearence on camera during the next game? For a historical shot? ;)

Paul,

you will be missed a lot. You and Sid provide such an excellent reporting on the game that it is not compatible to anything I listen to in American Sports. Thanks for the great moments and taking the time to share with us your insight. It has provide us with such excellent reading. Now and then drop us a note. This is the great thing about the internet, it does not matter where you are as long as you have it, it provides a link to us.

Congratulations on the new job and the fact you are going back home. It is an excellent opportunity. Good luck Paul and never hesitate to drop us a note here.

La Liga Report is on. The live game (Zaragoza vs. Athletic Bilbao) starts in 25 minutes.

Next match:

LIVE: Saturday, 2/9/2008 @ 4PM ET: Sevilla vs. Barcelona

The game is on. Should be a good one! Barca must win today! Sevilla is not going to make it easy for Barca.

What a great game! Very entertaining!

Sure we'll miss Paul; but I must say: Sid did an excellent job today! I really enjoyed his commentary! :up
And welcome aboard to Pete! He wasn't as passionate as Sid, but hopefully this will improve over time. ;)

Next match:

LIVE: Saturday, 2/16/2008 @ 4PM ET - Zaragoza vs. Barcelona

Next:

LIVE: Saturday, 2/23/2008 @ 4PM ET - Sevilla vs. Zaragoza

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts