Labor Day Weekend - Any FTA projects?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iafirebuff said:
I don't mind moutning on my shed's roof, and looking tonight I am pretty sure I have a full arc there. Not mounting on my house roof. I do not have an attic access so I can't make sure it is sealed good. As for aiming, I am all done with that. I have dishes locked down where I want them. I am now just in the "playing" stage with my extra dish. Which, I have a home for :) My father in law is finally interested in G10!

Does your roof on your house have an over-hang? Our's does and that is where I attached my roof mount originally for my DTV setup ( the DTV installer wouldn't get on my roof .......too steep!) I removed the dish and mast and installed my Fortec dish, mast and sg2100 motor. When I first installed the original base, I drilled pilot holes and then used large lag bolts to attach the base and I covered the threads of the bolts with roofing tar before installing them. Then, once I did that, I covered the bolt heads and the area around the base with the same tar. When I installed the new Fortec and motor I put some tar on bolt for the brace that came with my Fortec's mount. The base on the roof has been there several years now and has never leaked. and it doesn't have any way to enter the attic because I installed it on top of the over-hang. Might be worth a try if you have a large enough over-hang to accomodate the base and braces.
grusome

Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
Sure beats what your weather was last year at this time!
That's for sure. So far this season, we've been lucky (knock on wood!)

I'll be much happier when October rolls around and we get some cool fronts through. Hurricanes can't cross them :)

Got a break in the rain. I am watching 127w now. I have 80% on the one Chinese station - PAC1. Just bored, so playing with my spare parts :)

To bad RFD TV is not on KU band! Big Joe Polka and Classic Tractor!!!

iafirebuff said:
Got a break in the rain. I am watching 127w now. I have 80% on the one Chinese station - PAC1. Just bored, so playing with my spare parts :)

Iceberg said:
Thats all that is really on 127 is that one channel

127 was my first FTA satellite! When I hit that in the spring. there were about 6 channels on it. I remember that Sunday night about 930pm well! :)

Well, I set up the spare Primestar in my bocket mount, placed on my patio. I am on G10 , and have ran it to my wife's home office. I have a combiner on it, so she can switch between Dish DVR and the FTA. I have gained about 6% on the high powered tp's, gained about 6% on 11720 (wngs, etc) and gained about 6-10% on some others. I am going to leave it setup like this until my father in law gets his post in the ground for the setup. If I find I get a higher loss threshold, I might find another Primestar and use it for G10. A motor is my next purchase. I do like sitting outside (kinda chilly) at night and scanning though :)

Got FTA setup today for friend (disabled) at AMC 4. Aligned dish with compass & elevation marks - turned on FortecUltra - low and behold I had a 90% quality at once. Went up a tweaked to 99% on Hope channel, 89% on LLBN. Locked down good to go. I am glad I don't have to earn a living this way, it took me 4 hours for the install......so it is good that I enjoy it. Great fun.
Bob

I am glad I don't have to earn a living this way, it took me 4 hours for the install......so it is good that I enjoy it. Great fun.

I agree. Took me weeks to get mine up (tight schedule). Even with all the stuff I know now, it would still take me a while to get it going. I don't see how PSB does it.

well other than hooking up my analog box for the feeds and putting a few FTA items for sale in the classifieds (see signature), thats about all I've done FTA wise :)

I got called out to a Forest Fire and spent 5 day's in the woods. However it was not a lost satellite weekend, I talked to a news van engineer about his satellite set up - and found out where they send feeds on AMC1.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)