ladder length

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I will be moving to a 3-story townhouse next month. First floor has 9ft ceilings, the other floors are 8 I think. So I'm guessing its maybe 26-27ft up to the bottom of the roof. I notice the guy across the street from me has a dish at the top of the roof so that probably a few more feet.

How long are the ladders that the installers carry? Is there a standard?

I did mention to the cust serv person that I live in a 3story house, but I dont know if they bothered to note that the installer needs to have a ladder thats long enough.

I will be moving to a 3-story townhouse next month. First floor has 9ft ceilings, the other floors are 8 I think. So I'm guessing its maybe 26-27ft up to the bottom of the roof. I notice the guy across the street from me has a dish at the top of the roof so that probably a few more feet.

How long are the ladders that the installers carry? Is there a standard?

I did mention to the cust serv person that I live in a 3story house, but I dont know if they bothered to note that the installer needs to have a ladder thats long enough.

The standard size-DON'T COME TO WORK WITHOUT IT- is a 28ft ladder. This will get you to the gutter level of most two story structures.

What you describe would require the next size up. This would be the forty foot ladder. It is heavier and is not normally carried by installers. It requires a second person to carry and set up. Most places have a forty foot ladder charge of around one hundred dollars.

I would look for a lower location because this problem will come up each rare time the dish needs service.

Joe

I can concure with what Joe said.. 28ft is what we carry.. but have access to a 40 ft ladder. We dont charge for the 40fter in our area, I cant speak for anywheres else.. best thing is to let Installer decide where to put your dish within reason.

The standard size-DON'T COME TO WORK WITHOUT IT- is a 28ft ladder. This will get you to the gutter level of most two story structures.

What you describe would require the next size up. This would be the forty foot ladder. It is heavier and is not normally carried by installers. It requires a second person to carry and set up. Most places have a forty foot ladder charge of around one hundred dollars.

I would look for a lower location because this problem will come up each rare time the dish needs service.

Joe

Unfortunately the roof is the only place the dish goes. My town houses faces south and the east side is not accessible. They wont allow me to install on the front so it has to be the roof.

Maybe my math is off. I figure a story is 10ft max. Wouldn't the gutter level of a 2story be around 20ft or less? and 3story around 30ft or less?

Well if the ladder could be placed vertically and you could climb it your calculations might work but the ladder is placed at an angle so it can be climbed. My 28" ladder has a max working heigth of 25".

Well if the ladder could be placed vertically and you could climb it your calculations might work but the ladder is placed at an angle so it can be climbed. My 28" ladder has a max working heigth of 25".

ok, so I called them up and ask them to bring the 40ft ladder.

I had another thought, incase they "forget". I do have a deck/balcony attached to the 2nd floor. Can they just place the ladder on the deck? I dont know enough about ladder safety to know if that is ok.

Last edited:
ok, so I called them up and ask them to bring the 40ft ladder.

I had another thought, incase they "forget". I do have a deck/balcony attached to the 2nd floor. Can they just place the ladder on the deck? I dont know enough about ladder safety to know if that is ok.

The balcony could work. I keep a 12ft FG step ladder on the truck also. You can pull it up to a balcony such as yours with a rope OR the ground wire on "cable with ground" material. The ground wire is strong enough to tow vehicles.

This will get the tech to the edge of the roof above the balcony. If you need to locate the dish away from this area you have to plan for running cable across the roof and running as many as four cables down to the electric meter where the ground bond and any prewire is located.

A job like yours will use up the FREE 125 ft. of cable per receiver so there could be a charge for the labor and material for the additional cable. If the climb on your roof is too steep to walk there could be a charge for a remote installation IF the tech is capable of attempting the climb.

Report back how it goes.

Joe

The balcony could work. I keep a 12ft FG step ladder on the truck also. You can pull it up to a balcony such as yours with a rope OR the ground wire on "cable with ground" material. The ground wire is strong enough to tow vehicles.

This will get the tech to the edge of the roof above the balcony. If you need to locate the dish away from this area you have to plan for running cable across the roof and running as many as four cables down to the electric meter where the ground bond and any prewire is located.

A job like yours will use up the FREE 125 ft. of cable per receiver so there could be a charge for the labor and material for the additional cable. If the climb on your roof is too steep to walk there could be a charge for a remote installation IF the tech is capable of attempting the climb.

Report back how it goes.

Joe

I'll have to see how the installer runs the cable into the house. I only have one receiver (on the 2nd floor). I don't know if he has to go all the way down to the ground floor or up near the roof, or just some place in the side of the house to drill a hole. Its two cables I think so 60ft each. I think that should be enough if he doesnt have to go all the way to the ground. The townhouse isnt very big. Does the ground wire count as part of the 125ft?

I'll have to see how the installer runs the cable into the house. I only have one receiver (on the 2nd floor). I don't know if he has to go all the way down to the ground floor or up near the roof, or just some place in the side of the house to drill a hole. Its two cables I think so 60ft each. I think that should be enough if he doesnt have to go all the way to the ground. The townhouse isnt very big. Does the ground wire count as part of the 125ft?

The drawing shipped with the dish will show you what is wanted / required.

One of the cables run from the dish will (should) have a ground wire attached. This ground wire is attached to the mast. That cable is then (supposed) to be run to a ground block within ten feet of the electric bond and the cable entrance point to the building.

There are many, many installations done the way you describe....consider almost every apartment installation.

So it depends on that the tech had for breakfast. Get it done or do it right. The system is supposed to be grounded. The ground wire is not part of the 125 ft..it is bonded to the cable.

If the receiver is a DVR there will be two cables. The second one will have to be run back to the receiver external to the walls. This is where the single wire multiswitch (SWM) becomes significant.

If there is a cable outlet on the second floor where you plan to place the receiver the other end of that cable will probably be found near the electric meter. So you run the cable from the dish there and it activates the existing prewired outlet.

Joe

The drawing shipped with the dish will show you what is wanted / required.

One of the cables run from the dish will (should) have a ground wire attached. This ground wire is attached to the mast. That cable is then (supposed) to be run to a ground block within ten feet of the electric bond and the cable entrance point to the building.

There are many, many installations done the way you describe....consider almost every apartment installation.

So it depends on that the tech had for breakfast. Get it done or do it right. The system is supposed to be grounded. The ground wire is not part of the 125 ft..it is bonded to the cable.

If the receiver is a DVR there will be two cables. The second one will have to be run back to the receiver external to the walls. This is where the single wire multiswitch (SWM) becomes significant.

If there is a cable outlet on the second floor where you plan to place the receiver the other end of that cable will probably be found near the electric meter. So you run the cable from the dish there and it activates the existing prewired outlet.

Joe

The prewired outlet will already be used by the cable company for internet service. I would need the installer to run the cable(s) into the house to where the receiver will be. Yes it is a DVR.
Anyways, I guess I'll find out.

Report how it goes,

The standard FREE installation provides exterior runs. Often there is siding that can be used to hide the exterior cable. If the receiver is on an exterior wall things might be ok. Expect to drill the wall where the cable comes into the second floor.

Good luck,

Joe

If you don't tell them to bring the longer ladder they will reschedule. Happened to me last fall. I was floored especially when a 24FT would work. They came back with a 36FT.

I called up the directv movers line and asked them to add to my appointment for the to bring a 40ft ladder. She said the 3story thing was already in there. The lady's english wasnt that great, I think she might have written 44ft ladder. She also put me on hold for a long time while doing this, I'm not sure why its so complicated.

Anyways, I think its probably about 26-27ft up to the gutter, so maybe a 28ft ladder is sufficient if you the guy is tall and has long arms??? If he doesnt bring it, I can ask them to put the ladder on the deck I guess.

The room I want the receiver in is at the front of the house but will be next to an exterior wall. Its about 36ft from front to back. From the 2nd floor to the roof is probably about 16-17 ft. I know its 8ft floor to ceiling, I figure the floor itself is about a foot thick. So if the installer can go from the dish along the top and straight down to where the receiver will be, I might fit in the 60ft. I don't really care how it looks, he could go diagonally for all I care, as long as its not going to break or be unsafe. I don't know much about SWM's, but I thought that you usually don't get one (for free) unless you are installing several TVs.

Now how does the installer get the cable into the room? I assume he will drill a hole through the exterior wall and siding (and put some compound there so water wont get in). How does he get it into the interior room? Does he have to cut a hole in the drywall? or is there some other method.

Anyways, this wont happen for another month. I'll let you know

I called up the directv movers line and asked them to add to my appointment for the to bring a 40ft ladder. She said the 3story thing was already in there. The lady's english wasnt that great, I think she might have written 44ft ladder. She also put me on hold for a long time while doing this, I'm not sure why its so complicated.

Anyways, I think its probably about 26-27ft up to the gutter, so maybe a 28ft ladder is sufficient if you the guy is tall and has long arms??? If he doesnt bring it, I can ask them to put the ladder on the deck I guess.

The room I want the receiver in is at the front of the house but will be next to an exterior wall. Its about 36ft from front to back. From the 2nd floor to the roof is probably about 16-17 ft. I know its 8ft floor to ceiling, I figure the floor itself is about a foot thick. So if the installer can go from the dish along the top and straight down to where the receiver will be, I might fit in the 60ft. I don't really care how it looks, he could go diagonally for all I care, as long as its not going to break or be unsafe. I don't know much about SWM's, but I thought that you usually don't get one (for free) unless you are installing several TVs.

Now how does the installer get the cable into the room? I assume he will drill a hole through the exterior wall and siding (and put some compound there so water wont get in). How does he get it into the interior room? Does he have to cut a hole in the drywall? or is there some other method.

Anyways, this wont happen for another month. I'll let you know

Regarding the hole........from the inside he can tap the paddle bit through a spot on the wall you approve. If he hits a stud he will have to move over. Then he can tap again and bed the bit in the sheathing. At that point the drill gets attached and used. Cable gets pushed out the hole and routed from the outside.

The SWM will not help much here because there is dual cable that can be run to your receiver. Since the interior line is already in use he is going to have to pull cable; one or two lines...no biggie.

Report back,

Joe

Regarding the hole........from the inside he can tap the paddle bit through a spot on the wall you approve. If he hits a stud he will have to move over. Then he can tap again and bed the bit in the sheathing. At that point the drill gets attached and used. Cable gets pushed out the hole and routed from the outside.

The SWM will not help much here because there is dual cable that can be run to your receiver. Since the interior line is already in use he is going to have to pull cable; one or two lines...no biggie.

Report back,

Joe

I see
thanks for your help, I'll report back when its complete.
hopefully it goes smoothly

I got my dish installed last weekend.

I requested a 40ft ladder, but they did not bring one. They called in to their supervisor and I was told that they would send someone out with a 40ft ladder. The guys stuck around to wait for the ladder.

While waiting, I asked him about the cable length. I was concerned that I would exceed the cable length because I have a 3 story townhouse. He told me that he could probably make the limit but it would look ugly and he told me I should just pay the extra cost to make it look better. While waiting, I chatted with him some more, and to my suprise, he said he would give me a SWM for free. I'm not sure why, maybe because I chatted him up, maybe because we were both asian, maybe because he would only need to run one line.

While waiting, I suggested he try putting his ladder up on my deck (which is more like a balcony). At first he said it wouldn't work, but later he tried and it worked out. I think he didnt want his boss to come out there because he had his nephew with him to help him out which is not allowed. This involved him having to walk up the roof to install the dish. I asked him if he charges extra for that and he said no and it was included in the free install. Anyways, he put the dish up on the roof, ran the cable down the back of my house to the ground, hiding it along the siding edge. Then he grounded it to my air conditioner. He said I would need to bury a small section of cable which I had no problem with. then he ran the cable around to the front of my house up the siding to the front room where I wanted it. I didnt see a drip loop, but he said it wasnt needed because he was putting silicone there. I think I'll have to take a closer look. On the inside, he basically just drilled a hole through the wall. and fed the wire through. He didnt put anything around the hole on the drywall so I dont know if the hole will get bigger over time.

Anyways, overall, I think he was pretty good with giving me a free SWM. He also claimed that giving me white cable vs black cable usually costs extra but he didnt charge me. I'm not sure how true that is.

I'll post some photos later.

I got my dish installed last weekend.

I requested a 40ft ladder, but they did not bring one. They called in to their supervisor and I was told that they would send someone out with a 40ft ladder. The guys stuck around to wait for the ladder.

While waiting, I asked him about the cable length. I was concerned that I would exceed the cable length because I have a 3 story townhouse. He told me that he could probably make the limit but it would look ugly and he told me I should just pay the extra cost to make it look better. While waiting, I chatted with him some more, and to my suprise, he said he would give me a SWM for free. I'm not sure why, maybe because I chatted him up, maybe because we were both asian, maybe because he would only need to run one line.

While waiting, I suggested he try putting his ladder up on my deck (which is more like a balcony). At first he said it wouldn't work, but later he tried and it worked out. I think he didnt want his boss to come out there because he had his nephew with him to help him out which is not allowed. This involved him having to walk up the roof to install the dish. I asked him if he charges extra for that and he said no and it was included in the free install. Anyways, he put the dish up on the roof, ran the cable down the back of my house to the ground, hiding it along the siding edge. Then he grounded it to my air conditioner. He said I would need to bury a small section of cable which I had no problem with. then he ran the cable around to the front of my house up the siding to the front room where I wanted it. I didnt see a drip loop, but he said it wasnt needed because he was putting silicone there. I think I'll have to take a closer look. On the inside, he basically just drilled a hole through the wall. and fed the wire through. He didnt put anything around the hole on the drywall so I dont know if the hole will get bigger over time.

Anyways, overall, I think he was pretty good with giving me a free SWM. He also claimed that giving me white cable vs black cable usually costs extra but he didnt charge me. I'm not sure how true that is.

I'll post some photos later.

Glad you are up and running. The tech could have just done it...the BS stories are not the work of a professional......Much of what he told you eas just wrong.

Send the pics.

Joe

I'd be kinda ticked off if the installer said they'd charge $100 extra due to having to use a 40 foot ladder. I'd probably tell the installer to take a hike. It's not like they had to go out and rent a special ladder or a construction crane just for your installation.

Well he never said there was a charge for a 40ft ladder. He just didnt bring it. I was pretty upset at first. However, I'm happy he gave me the SWM and only ran one cable (for free). I probably wouldn't care too much if he had run two cables, but then there would be two holes, plus I probably would have had to pay since it probably would have gone over the length limit. I'll get the photos up later this week.

?#1 - Grounded to an AC?
?#2 - Used white cable?
?#3 - He didn't put on a wall plate on the drywall?
?#4 - He didn't put a drip loop/service loop on the outside?
?#5 - He made you bury the small section of cable?

I smell a rat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts