I want to add a 3rd HD-DVR - is there a trick?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
I currently have 2 HR22's and 1 H20. I have been a subscriber for a year. Bill has never been late, auto payment, account is spotless. What does it take to get D* to cut me a break on adding an additional (3rd) HD-DVR?

I currently have 2 HR22's and 1 H20. I have been a subscriber for a year. Bill has never been late, auto payment, account is spotless. What does it take to get D* to cut me a break on adding an additional (3rd) HD-DVR?

Have they made you an offer? The regular price is $199. You could get one from Costco for $169, IIRC.

There is no trick.

Some say to call and ask for the retention department, then cry like a little girl :river about how you'll cancel your subscription if they don't give you a free(used) HD DVR.

That will not work.

Retentions follows the same guide lines for handing out hardware as ACE dept ( Hardware /Bundles dept )

Pay the 199. or 169 at costco

Because with 3 advance recievers on the account I dont even think they would give you a price break on another hd dvr with only being with us for only 1 year.

costco or newegg are my suggestions

I don't get it, You want 3 DVR's and expect D* to cut you a break?

Next you'll be asking for a discount on your monthly bill because you're such a great customer.

13 years and I still haven't gotten any hardware for free or severely discounted. You have to pay to play.

Why some people think there's always something for nothing or next to it, is beyond me.

Pay up and move along

In the last 2 years, I've gotten DirecTV to sell me NEW HD-DVRs for 99 dollars Each. And 2 HD receivers for free. And free instill too.

Yes it dose work, but you might have to "work" them a little on the phone.

NOTE: I've had DirecTV since the year 2000. ( I don't know if it matters how long you been with them or not)

Next you'll be asking for a discount on your monthly bill because you're such a great customer.

13 years and I still haven't gotten any hardware for free or severely discounted. You have to pay to play.

Why some people think there's always something for nothing or next to it, is beyond me.

Pay up and move along

You know what? I did that last week too! Got free HD service for 1 year and a 5 dollar credit for 3 months. :D

In the last 2 years, I've gotten DirecTV to sell me NEW HD-DVRs for 99 dollars Each. And 2 HD receivers for free. And free instill too.

Yes it dose work, but you might have to "work" them a little on the phone.

NOTE: I've had DirecTV since the year 2000. ( I don't know if it matters how long you been with them or not)

DIRECTV didn't sell you anything. You paid the upfront lease fee. You don't own the DVRs, DIRECTV dose.

The free instill is what everyone gets.

There is no trick.

Some say to call and ask for the retention department, then cry like a little girl :river about how you'll cancel your subscription if they don't give you a free(used) HD DVR.

They are not always used. (Refurbished). The one I just got from DirecTV was brand new. (and they sold it to me for $99.00)

To the OP....you are still under contract. I highly doubt you will get a deal on a new receiver. It doesn't hurt to call and ask, but you can't threaten to cancel unless you plan on paying an ETF. I would go to Costco...

Pay up and move along
we're all glad you have never needed or wanted a discount.:rolleyes:

To the OP....you are still under contract. I highly doubt you will get a deal on a new receiver. It doesn't hurt to call and ask, but you can't threaten to cancel unless you plan on paying an ETF. I would go to Costco...

They give deals to people under contract all of the time. I just received my 3rd HD DVR for $0 and I still had 1 year left in my current contract. I find it is much easier to get things if you are just nice to them on the phone and never pull out the cancel card.

They give deals to people under contract all of the time. I just received my 3rd HD DVR for $0 and I still had 1 year left in my current contract. I find it is much easier to get things if you are just nice to them on the phone and never pull out the cancel card.

Well, that is good to know, I have never heard of that....but I am glad to be wrong!....I agree with the nice part...its always worked for me in the past....

They give deals to people under contract all of the time. I just received my 3rd HD DVR for $0 and I still had 1 year left in my current contract.

I bet if you called in right now to check they'd tell you that you now have 3 years left in your current contract. They pretty much never give out free equipment without extending your contract.

I've even read here that even if you go pay $199 for a DIRECTV HD DVR at Best Buy that DIRECTV will extend your contract for 2 more years when you call to activate the new equipment.

I bet if you called in right now to check they'd tell you that you now have 3 years left in your current contract. They pretty much never give out free equipment without extending your contract.

I've even read here that even if you go pay $199 for a DIRECTV HD DVR at Best Buy that DIRECTV will extend your contract for 2 more years when you call to activate the new equipment.

Contracts are never longer than two years. The two years starts over the minute a new receiver is activated, no matter where it is purchased (leased) from.

For a frame of reference, after being a directv customer since early 1995, I called them around 19 months ago and gave them a legitimate list of complaints and concerns about the products and the service. While under contract, probably illegitimately from a directv movers connection.

I got two HR20's for free, HD for free for 1 year, dvr service for free for one year, six months of a couple of the movie channels and three months free for two more.

So I think if you have actual complaints about the products or services, or are apparently a good customer that will be paying lots and lots of monthly directv bills for many years to come, you can ask for and receive a lot of freebies and discounts.

On the other hand, if you want to serve penance and pay full price, knock yourself out. Do note that prisoners in new england for many years complained about having to eat lobster a lot (lobster stew is still called 'poor mans soup' in many parts of Maine), and many east coast monks ate scallops as a penance for crimes they felt they'd committed.

I think a free or cheap dvr is a sad alternative to lots of deep fried lobster tails and scallops ceviche. But your mileage may vary.:tux:

I guess the short windup is that I was assured that the HR20-100's would solve ALL of the problems or concerns that I had as a directv customer. They promptly multiplied those problems a hundred fold, which is why I got Sunday Ticket for half price and superfan for free.

More reporting next year when I get it....

WRONG!!!! I now have 2 years left on my contract from the date of the new receiver. I knew that I would have to start the 2 years over again but that is fine with me. Every time I have tried to leave Directv it seems like I just come right back within a year. The wife has officially told me that I can not change our service any longer.

I will keep on trying.... That is all I can do.

No, that's not all you can do. You can pay the $199 like almost everyone does, or you can go to Costco and get one for $169, like I suggested.

I will keep on trying.... That is all I can do.

The more you try the more your going to get denied.

3 times is the charm. if by the 3rd time you still get told no. then your not going to get it. because agents are trained to see when someone calls in constinally over something it reduces you chances of getting it big time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.