I want to add a 3rd HD-DVR - is there a trick?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jimbo, you are only ever under a single contract any any time. It is not like the cell phone companies that have a contract for every phone you get from them.

Hmmm, really, thats not how it was explained to me, but that was quite awhile ago.
Then again, you probably know how I feel about the contracts.

I have no problem with a 2 year contract when you sign up, but after the two years is up, you know I've been there..... drop the contracts after the original one.

I just picked up a one month old owned HR-23 for 205.50 and a year old owned HR-22 for 142.50 for my kid.
I haven't had a contract for over 7 years
If I get any grief I threaten to walk they always stand down.:D
I will add remaining nice during the conversation's and negotiations may make a difference

I dont believe that either of those product models were for sale as owned, and definitely not during that time period.

I think you just picked up a pair of leased receivers for more than list price, and if you call directv to activate them you may have to return them (since they own them) or activate them under a 2 year contract. Plus the former "owner" may be billed for a bunch of money for not returning the receivers. If you already activated them, you might want to call and check what your contract date is, because i'm betting you have one.

Jimbo...contracts are concurrent, not consecutive. The maximum contract is 2 years and its set to 2 years from your last receiver activation. So if I activated two receivers on 1/1/2009, I'm under contract for two years from that date. If I activated a third receiver on 6/1/2009, i'd then be under contract for two years from that date. If I then replaced one of my original two receivers with a newer model dvr on 3/1/2010, my contract would run to two years from that date.

So you're better off making changes earlier than later if you're concerned about contract end dates.

I dont believe that either of those product models were for sale as owned, and definitely not during that time period.

I think you just picked up a pair of leased receivers for more than list price, and if you call directv to activate them you may have to return them (since they own them) or activate them under a 2 year contract. Plus the former "owner" may be billed for a bunch of money for not returning the receivers. If you already activated them, you might want to call and check what your contract date is, because i'm betting you have one.

Jimbo...contracts are concurrent, not consecutive. The maximum contract is 2 years and its set to 2 years from your last receiver activation. So if I activated two receivers on 1/1/2009, I'm under contract for two years from that date. If I activated a third receiver on 6/1/2009, i'd then be under contract for two years from that date. If I then replaced one of my original two receivers with a newer model dvr on 3/1/2010, my contract would run to two years from that date.

So you're better off making changes earlier than later if you're concerned about contract end dates.

I guess I'm not really concerned too much about the contracts, I don't see myself going anywhere anyways.

I agree with the first paragraph as well about the bought/leased /owned recvers.
there are no OWNED equipment anymore outside of the one Pro HR model that I am aware of.

I'm watching mine and so is my son I got purchase receipt's from both sellers I called DirectTV before bidding with the rid numbers and they verified they were owned bought and payed for. I will pm you my rid number if you doubt what I say.
I haven't checked the rid but there is a said to be owned HR-21 on ebay now bidding is at around a 100.00 bucks. You could call D and verify the rid the seller has it listed in the questions & answers.
I will mention you can also buy from DirectTV a new HR-23 for 499.00 and its yours to do as you wish no contract. Don't believe me just call them tell them you want to buy one.

I'm watching mine and so is my son I got purchase receipt's from both sellers I called DirectTV before bidding with the rid numbers and they verified they were owned bought and payed for. I will pm you my rid number if you doubt what I say.
I haven't checked the rid but there is a said to be owned HR-21 on ebay now bidding is at around a 100.00 bucks. You could call D and verify the rid the seller has it listed in the questions & answers.
I will mention you can also buy from DirectTV a new HR-23 for 499.00 and its yours to do as you wish no contract. Don't believe me just call them tell them you want to buy one.

Next question is WHY would you want to OWN one, if it has any trouble, it's yours and you get to deal with it, if it's leased, you can call D* and have them send you another one, free in most cases.

I USE to OWN all my equipment, but it doesn't make sense anymore with the equipment advances this day and age..

Next question is WHY would you want to OWN one, if it has any trouble, it's yours and you get to deal with it, if it's leased, you can call D* and have them send you another one, free in most cases.

I USE to OWN all my equipment, but it doesn't make sense anymore with the equipment advances this day and age..

They don't send another one for free in most cases. In most cases they'll charge you $20 to replace a receiver or DVR. If you have the DIRECTV maintence contract or whatever it's called they'll replace receivers for free.

They don't send another one for free in most cases. In most cases they'll charge you $20 to replace a receiver or DVR. If you have the DIRECTV maintence contract or whatever it's called they'll replace receivers for free.

If you have the Protection plan the recvr is free, the $ 20 you mentioned is a shipping fee.
$ 20 beats $199 everytime.

All of this "wife" talk reminds me of that intro for the "Jetsons" cartoon back in the 60's where "George" gives "Jane" a few $$'s from his wallet to go shopping and Jane grabs the whole wallet and flies her saucer over to the "Galaxy" shopping center :D (nope, I ain't married....close as I got was engaged a few years ago)

All of this "wife" talk reminds me of that intro for the "Jetsons" cartoon back in the 60's where "George" gives "Jane" a few $$'s from his wallet to go shopping and Jane grabs the whole wallet and flies her saucer over to the "Galaxy" shopping center :D (nope, I ain't married....close as I got was engaged a few years ago)

But you ARE showing your age !!!!!
I remember the Jetsons well :D

I have had my feet held to the fire by phone and D rubbing the contract card in my face and didn't like it.
I have no contracts with sprint ether I buy my phones on craigslist or ebay just a peeve of mine I guess.
I did consider the lease option because what you state dose make sense but getting these receivers at the prices I did I figured why?
Hopefully they don't break down.

My 5 year old still watches the jetsons, every day. One of his favorites.

Unfortunately it might be wiring him to think that its still the 60's.

Hey Yorktown, my wifes human too! Maybe we're related!

Sorry it bummed you out. For what its worth, it was a lot nicer than the first thing I wrote and erased. I would think that someone who writes posts as...er...'provocative' as yours wouldnt have such a thin skin. ;)

Joker, thats pretty strange stuff. I was quite sure that directv hasnt sold an HR22/23 to anyone. I'll have to look into that. Not that I want to buy one, but I'd heard like Jimbo that only the Pro models had been sold. I think you get to pay retail for one if you dont return it or return it messed up, but I didnt know original sales were still available.

In fact, I thought directv swooped in on any unit being sold on ebay and had the listings revoked.

Not calling you a fibber, just wanted to make sure you didnt get schrod. It happens a lot where people buy leased receivers and it turns into a big problem.

If owned equipment is replaced under the pp, the new equipment is also owned. When Directv was replacing HR10's with HR20's, under the pp those HR20's would all be owned.

Good info, thanks Chip. I figured the 22/23's were so new and knowing directv's reticence to sell equipment rather than lease it, I was concerned that "A Joker" might have bought some leased gear. Clearly there are many things to consider.

If owned equipment is replaced under the pp, the new equipment is also owned. When Directv was replacing HR10's with HR20's, under the pp those HR20's would all be owned.
You are correct, I owned 2 H-10's they up graded me 2 H-20's that I still have and am watching.

Actually the contract runs with the recvr., the one that he bought first will be over when the original 2 years is up. The new recvr will be up when the 2 years is up.

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is that the contracts don't add to each other. For instance, you have one year left on one receiver, buy a new one, now you have a 3 year. That is NOT how it works. If I have one year left on one, buy a new one, I now have a two year contract. The most you can ever have is 2 years left....

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is that the contracts don't add to each other. For instance, you have one year left on one receiver, buy a new one, now you have a 3 year. That is NOT how it works. If I have one year left on one, buy a new one, I now have a two year contract. The most you can ever have is 2 years left....

In your scenario that you mentioned here, your 1st recvr would be out of contract a year before the other ...... But I'm being told thats not how it works.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you have a contract of some sort.

Status
Please reply by conversation.