Laff, Grit, Escape Launching on Media-General, Tribune Stations

Katz Broadcasting signed major distribution agreements today that it says significantly expand the footprints of the company’s three emerging multicast networks Grit, Escape and Laff.

Media General will carry all three networks in multiple markets, covering 16 individual homes, as follows:

Grit: Indianapolis (WNDY), Hartford, Conn. (WCTX), Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOTV), Austin, Texas (KNVA), Albuquerque, N.M. (KWBQ).

Escape: Grand Rapids (WXSP), Albuquerque (KASY), Dayton, Ohio (WDTN), Topeka, Kan. (KTMJ).

Laff: Austin (KBVO), Grand Rapids (WOOD), Albuquerque (KWBQ), Providence, R.I. (WNAC), Albany, N.Y. (WXXA), Knoxville, Tenn., (WATE), Youngstown, Ohio (WYFX).

Tribune Media will launch Escape in: Seattle (KCPQ), St. Louis (KTVI), Oklahoma City (KAUT) and New Orleans (WGNO)

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Grit: Indianapolis (WNDY),
good lord that will be 2 1080i stations and 2 480i stations on one RF station
My & CW simulcast in 180i
Bounce and soon Grit in 480i

Although it doesnt make sense why WNDY-DT1 (My Network) would be in 1080i as My is 720p

Reactions: jegrant

Although it doesnt make sense why WNDY-DT1 (My Network) would be in 1080i as My is 720p

I'm not convinced that either Bounce or Grit won't be on the main WISH signal when all is said and done. But even if it was this way, it wouldn't be unprecedented. See almost any Univision station.

Also, as for why My Network TV is in 1080i, it's likely that all the station's gear is in a consistent 1080i format. Otherwise you'd have to have a cross-converter somewhere in the chain for the local stuff and syndication. Probably just easier to cross-convert My Network TV and keep everything else at 1080i internally. You see this sort of thing from time to time, like in my parents' market when WWCW upgraded to providing HD locally and not just straight from the network, they flipped CW to 720p to be internally consistent with the Fox side which, I believe (could be mistaken), had already been doing HD at 720p locally.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
I'm just hoping they don't drop the WISH simulcast from WNDY, because it's much easier to receive in my area. Not that excited about Grit, but we already have Bounce, Laff, and Escape, so I guess that covers the Katz roster.

Ironically I just went to Media General's website and while they are adding the Ion's, Laff's, Grit's and Escapes, they are in negotiations Nexstar. I dont like this ,I dont like nexstar, MG I just hope the deal that is trying to be made goes out the window.

I'm just hoping they don't drop the WISH simulcast from WNDY, because it's much easier to receive in my area.
Trip mentioned above that there are stations (mainly Univision O&O) that run 2 HD & 2 SD stations...so I'm sure the simulcast will continue

Katz Broadcasting signed major distribution agreements today that it says significantly expand the footprints of the company’s three emerging multicast networks Grit, Escape and Laff.

Media General will carry all three networks in multiple markets, covering 16 individual homes, as follows:

Grit: Indianapolis (WNDY), Hartford, Conn. (WCTX), Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOTV), Austin, Texas (KNVA), Albuquerque, N.M. (KWBQ).

Escape: Grand Rapids (WXSP), Albuquerque (KASY), Dayton, Ohio (WDTN), Topeka, Kan. (KTMJ).

Laff: Austin (KBVO), Grand Rapids (WOOD), Albuquerque (KWBQ), Providence, R.I. (WNAC), Albany, N.Y. (WXXA), Knoxville, Tenn., (WATE), Youngstown, Ohio (WYFX).

Tribune Media will launch Escape in: Seattle (KCPQ), St. Louis (KTVI), Oklahoma City (KAUT) and New Orleans (WGNO)

Hmm. Seems like MG's WKRN 2 here in Nashville would have been a candidate to get Escape. That's the only one of those three Katz diginets we don't have at all locally. (We got Laff back in Sept. It's disappointing.) Still waiting on MG to do something with 2-3 where Live Well used to air. They've been airing the same local weather loop on both 2-2 and 2-3 since the spring. Not that I care about Escape, really. Back in Jan. they were saying we'd get Me-TV on 2-3, so maybe that's still going to happen. I'd prefer Movies! but Me-TV would be fine.

I had assumed that MG was holding off on any more diginet carriage agreements until their current love triangle with Meredith and Nexstar gets resolved. Apparently that's not the case, though, given this new deal with Katz. So why are we still waiting on MG to do something with WKRN?

Hmm. Seems like MG's WKRN 2 here in Nashville would have been a candidate to get Escape. That's the only one of those three Katz diginets we don't have at all locally. (We got Laff back in Sept. It's disappointing.) Still waiting on MG to do something with 2-3 where Live Well used to air. They've been airing the same local weather loop on both 2-2 and 2-3 since the spring. Not that I care about Escape, really. Back in Jan. they were saying we'd get Me-TV on 2-3, so maybe that's still going to happen. I'd prefer Movies! but Me-TV would be fine.

I had assumed that MG was holding off on any more diginet carriage agreements until their current love triangle with Meredith and Nexstar gets resolved. Apparently that's not the case, though, given this new deal with Katz. So why are we still waiting on MG to do something with WKRN?
That's the thing with MG and the former livewell networks...Most everyone thought Ion was the replacement, however WATE is getting Laff, your waiting for MeTV, WLNS/WRIC/WTEN/ are waiting on what they don't have yet. Well I'm waiting for GetTV. You might still be a candidate for Escape and it could be on WKRN (if the weather drops on the .2), we know IF's are a huge deal in the TV and OTA business. When I got ION the 10.2 went blank. A week later I rescan my tv (twice within 2 hours as a just incase) and the label (with no audio or video) shows 10.2 GetTV. That's quick. I was told on here that the ION was part of MG's plan to launch in Markets that didn't have the ION O&O) like Nashville. So on to the roundtable looks like all the Media General LWN affiliates are going to see different subchannels. GetTV was definitely the last but when I took a pic of the screen and then posted to a reply to trip, he mentioned that's he would call that a confirmation. Here is the funny part when WLFT launched Get, it wasn't on their list of affiliates on their website till a week after the launch (back in 2014) when I was living closer to Lafayette I could get WLFT most of the time. So back to the subject, you may still get Escape even on WKRN or the 69 channel Sinclair owns which that where it should go, and well if it happens you probably lose the Weather on the .2. Keep us posted.....At least Me is still in Nashville but still it should have launched on the full power ABC station already....

Seen on a couple of Wikipedia pages about these 2 1080 and 2 480, and the 3 720 and 2 480......are we seeing a new change...

I have that now with PBS (1080i -1/-2, 480i -3/-4) and Univision in NC was like that, too, but Unimas was 720p I think. It doesn't look as bad as you'd think.

Reactions: jegrant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)