Laff, Grit, Escape Launching on Media-General, Tribune Stations

I'm just hoping they don't drop the WISH simulcast from WNDY, because it's much easier to receive in my area. Not that excited about Grit, but we already have Bounce, Laff, and Escape, so I guess that covers the Katz roster.
I was wondering why WISH was a subchannel of WNDY but I see where you're coming from.

Speaking of Media General Launches......Gets a little more interesting as (posted on another topic) WATE and KLFY have the highlighted blank/soon on the .2 (WATE is getting LAFF which moves to the .3), WTEN may have trouble getting something (maybe Movies! or Escape) as their NBC/MNTV will be launching H&I/Decades, WKRN (METV) and Nashville are pretty much set up with everything. WLNS pretty much can get a world of varieties and maybe a reconciliation between WBAY/Decades. As for WRIC, maybe something although they're the only former lwn that has ion on the .2 (markets without the Ion Media Networks group of channels).

I'm thinking the possibility of WATE/KLFY/WLNS/WBAY/WTEN/WRIC getting the same subchannel is highly unlikely but I'm looking forward to what we're getting when the dust settles....Then in KLFY's case, it maybe easy due to the fact the big stink going around supposingly someone got an email from Delta Media stating that a slew of subchannels were launching on 32/50 soon (Grit/Escape/Cozi/Laff/Justice/Decades/Movies! and maybe Comet, although another says possibly Buzzr and Comet could join the club too) which would leave GetTV the candidiate(KLFY 10.2). Whatever, we'll see by January.

I was wondering why WISH was a subchannel of WNDY but I see where you're coming from.

theyre sister stations and WISH being on VHF does have some coverage issues. Its kinda like here in Minneapolis where KMSP (FOX) is on both RF9 (maps as 9-9) and on WFTC RF29 (maps as 9-1)

WISH does have a UHF translator but being only 15kw they (WISH) wanted their coverage expanded

theyre sister stations and WISH being on VHF does have some coverage issues. Its kinda like here in Minneapolis where KMSP (FOX) is on both RF9 (maps as 9-9) and on WFTC RF29 (maps as 9-1)

WISH does have a UHF translator but being only 15kw they (WISH) wanted their coverage expanded
Yeah I see the reason. Seems a lot of us have that VHF coverage problem...

Yeah I see the reason. Seems a lot of us have that VHF coverage problem...
yup. It was documented back when the transition happened....from Mike Kohl's site (global-cm.net back in June 2009)

We have been attempting to cover the fallout from the June 12th shutoff of full power analog television signals across the United States. It turns out that most of the public WAS ready for the transition, and that television stations were equally ready for that plug to be pulled, forcing everyone into permanent digital mode. But it turns out that flawed engineering data at the FCC has caused a major fiasco with stations that are now using VHF channels 2 to 13 for digital. Most visible examples include channel 13 in Baltimore, which was doing fine with its analog VHF channel, and equally well if not even better with their temporary UHF digital frequency. Once they shut off analog on VHF, turned off the temporary UHF digital signal, and then turned on VHF digital, a nasty surprise was found. As an outsider, all I can see is that highly visible engineering people must have been sleeping through much of their elementary school mathematics classes, and missed the parts on multiplication and division. Let's see if the rest of you can pass this test: If a UHF TV station was allowed to transmit 5 million watts video power in analog, and then given permission to use 1 million watts for digital, that would mean that the digital signal is using 20% of the power of previous analog signal. Suppose that a VHF station on channel 13 was previously transmitting at the maximum 316 Kw allowed for analog (just as UHF channels were allowed 5000 Kw on analog), would it not make a little bit of sense that the digital allotment should be somewhere near 20% of the previous analog power output? That number would be just over 60 Kw in most circumstances. Why were VHF channels given power outputs typically between 10 and 30 Kw? Did nobody realize that you would get extremely reduced coverage at a fraction of the power? And there was no real-world testing situation in many cases to see if digital VHF performance was adequate at proposed power levels?? Somewhere in the explanation should include the word "idiot", in my humble opinion. At least the FCC is now acting at previously unheard of speed to respond to broadcasters that are struggling with the power levels authorized, and giving them permission to crank up the power. It's still sort of an experimental process, with those complaining the loudest getting the attention (and permission) to increase power levels. Let's hope that things work out for the best sooner than later. Next is the plan to allow fill-in translators and other rebroadcasters to go on the air in areas that digital is now not working---after being satisfactory for analog signals for many years. Another debacle that will take a long time to straighten our!

Since then stations have bumped up their power....but it depends on the market and what RF station you are on

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I have never received WTHR anywhere near as reliably on channel 13 as I did on their temporary UHF channel 46. (Note this was not the low power station WALV-CD now on 46, they had a full power DTV on 46 during the transition.) In fact, that used to be the most reliable / best station to try to receive at my house, on 46. On 13, I figure I would probably need a rooftop VHF antenna to get quality, stable reception.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I used to get Ch 13 in Baltinore well when they were on UHF. I barely get a blip now.

I have never received WTHR anywhere near as reliably on channel 13 as I did on their temporary UHF channel 46. (Note this was not the low power station WALV-CD now on 46, they had a full power DTV on 46 during the transition.) In fact, that used to be the most reliable / best station to try to receive at my house, on 46. On 13, I figure I would probably need a rooftop VHF antenna to get quality, stable reception.
Thats the issue. Here in Minneapolis there are 2 VHF stations (FOX 9 and NBC 11). FOX has always had a workaround sicne they also own the My in the market (WFTC 29). They use to cross promote the SD counterpart on each others station. Now they have FOX on BOTH RF29 and RF9

KARE 11 they just cranked up the power

Speaking of this Laff network. I wanted to ask this when I went on LWN's WIKI page every station that Tegna owns had this lil box next to the Justice Network [2] like WCNC Charlotte. Which its from Jan. 20 saying Laff was replacing lwn on ABC/Scripps station, I know not to always go by WIKI but could this mean that Laff will go on Tegna's stations in Markets that Laff is not available.....

Speaking of this Laff network. I wanted to ask this when I went on LWN's WIKI page every station that Tegna owns had this lil box next to the Justice Network [2] like WCNC Charlotte. Which its from Jan. 20 saying Laff was replacing lwn on ABC/Scripps station, I know not to always go by WIKI but could this mean that Laff will go on Tegna's stations in Markets that Laff is not available.....
no. If you click on where it says [2] it jumps to the bottom of the page where there was a news article about Laff being added (you can click on the article). At the end of the article it says this

Gannett, which had carried Live Well previously agreed to carry the Justice Network, a new service from Lonnie Cooper, another founder of Bounce TV. Justice Network is run by three senior TV execs, former Nat Geo exec Steve Schiffman, former Discovery exec John Ford, and former NBCUniversal exec Barry Wallach

no. If you click on where it says [2] it jumps to the bottom of the page where there was a news article about Laff being added (you can click on the article). At the end of the article it says this

Gannett, which had carried Live Well previously agreed to carry the Justice Network, a new service from Lonnie Cooper, another founder of Bounce TV. Justice Network is run by three senior TV execs, former Nat Geo exec Steve Schiffman, former Discovery exec John Ford, and former NBCUniversal exec Barry Wallach
I clicked where it says the 2 and it brought me to the laff/ABCOTS agreement. I just thought maybe Tegna had a future agreement with Laff, . Thanks....Justice still trying to get their station in every market. Rookie Year been a struggle....

Reactions: localclassictvfan
BHTV here shows a lot of local programming in place of BHTV. That's how I noticed it. Its been Laff all day. They must not be a 24-7 network.
Laff is a 24/7 network but they signed a deal with Blue Highways to have Laff programming for like 15 hours a day

Sounds like that station pre-empts it for local programming too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)