LAND LINE REALLY NECESSARY?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hello Folks,

I am stepping out of the Sports Forum for the 1st time to ask the pros here a simple, basic question that a co-worker cannot receive a straight answer about:

She is thinking of giving up her land-line phone as she really only ever uses her cell anymore. She was told that a land line is required to retain her Direct TV service. However, when she called and spoke to technicians they used the line "Direct TV PREFERS that you have a land-based line" over and over without saying it is actually REQUIRED.

FYI, the only "extra" subsriptions she gets is the Sports Package and Extra Innings. She does not do PPV or any movie rentals, etc. (Some kind of gal, huh?):D

Many thanks for your consideration with this basic question. Too bad she can't get a complete, direct and honest answer from their support staff.

Regards,
KCK_Halo

No. It used to be used for things like PPV, but that can now be done over Ethernet and the dish itself. If you call and tell them that you do not have a land line everything should be OK. I never used a land line for years.

Hi stranger!:p

So she can just disconnect, change her phone contact with them to her cell and not lose anything? Sounds good to me. I'll pass that information along.

Thanks alot!

(I see you guys are dukin' it out in Chicago pretty well today.)

Hi stranger!:p

So she can just disconnect, change her phone contact with them to her cell and not lose anything? Sounds good to me. I'll pass that information along.

Thanks alot!

(I see you guys are dukin' it out in Chicago pretty well today.)
That place is like a little league park. I cannot believe the number of routine fly balls that end up going out for HR.

I was thinking about the same thing canx my Land line But the I lose my home security, and my FAX line… Can I do FAX with out a hard land line???

Can I do FAX with out a hard land line???

I think there is some slocky program that involves a computer to send faxes and email to receive faxes. I think you pay for some special telephone number (monthly) and they forward your inbound faxes via email.

I tried to fax several times the past couple of years with different programs using a VoIP Comcast line without any success. I was told by Comcast that it couldn't be done using their system. While its a question of maybe $25-$30 monthly for a basic landline, I've gone back to it a couple of months ago.

correct me if im wrong but i believe extra innings would indeed require a phone line, unless the box was connected to the internet at all times, and that would only work on select H2X's and HR2X's no standard receivers or dvrs (except R22) so unless shes got HD everywhere, Id hang onto the land line, because no basic receiver will get that package without being connected somehow... pretty positive of that, but wouldnt bet money.

correct me if im wrong but i believe extra innings would indeed require a phone line, unless the box was connected to the internet at all times, and that would only work on select H2X's and HR2X's no standard receivers or dvrs (except R22) so unless shes got HD everywhere, Id hang onto the land line, because no basic receiver will get that package without being connected somehow... pretty positive of that, but wouldnt bet money.

Nope. I had EI without a Ethernet or phone line connection on any box.

STILL,

The Home Service Provider (HSPs) that DTV uses for installations insist that their installers connect phone lines or face deductions in pay. So the installer has to choose between connecting existing lines, installing phone runs for free OR finding some way to dump your installation and move on to the next job WITH an easy phone situation.

SO it depends who you ask. All above statements are accurate.

Joe

STILL,

The Home Service Provider (HSPs) that DTV uses for installations insist that their installers connect phone lines or face deductions in pay. So the installer has to choose between connecting existing lines, installing phone runs for free OR finding some way to dump your installation and move on to the next job WITH an easy phone situation.

SO it depends who you ask. All above statements are accurate.

Joe
Again, not the case with me. The two rooms in which I had my DVRs did not have phone jacks at the time. I have since put one in my living room, mainly for CI on the receiver.

i got rid of my land line a couple of years ago. no need to have it for directv service. and in the case of dish all you would need is an ethernet connection. use my cell for call so goodbye phone bill.

That is how it goes,

DTV can check the receivers to see if they are connected to phones. People disconnect the phone lines after the installation without effect. There was a time when it was required for early recorders to work. The rest was part of the hype to promote PPV. I think the Caller ID was an attempt to add value to the system.

Instead of just abandoning the phone deal they let it drift along confusing customers and doing a nickle-dime theft on installers.

Joe

Last edited:
Considering that some very high percentage (don't want to quote a number off the top of my head and get flamed) of US households have abandoned landlines for better cellular deals, both "majors" needs to just accept that fact.

Have heard of no Directv consumer issues with it and DN needs to just give up their $5 charge (which is costing them subscribers, and ultimate revenue potential).

Welcome to the new paradigm.

Considering that some very high percentage (don't want to quote a number off the top of my head and get flamed) of US households have abandoned landlines for better cellular deals, both "majors" needs to just accept that fact.

Have heard of no Directv consumer issues with it and DN needs to just give up their $5 charge (which is costing them subscribers, and ultimate revenue potential).

Welcome to the new paradigm.

What do you consider "Very High"?
I would guess that the majority of homes have Landline as well as Cell still.
Yes, many are going to Cell only, but it's not as great as some may think, or the land line phone co's would be going under, AT&T is hardly going under.

Not meant as a flame at all.

i got rid of my land line a couple of years ago. no need to have it for directv service. and in the case of dish all you would need is an ethernet connection. use my cell for call so goodbye phone bill.

What ???
You have a Cell phone and NO phone Bill ??? :confused:
How did you manage that plan .... a FREE Cell phone ? :D

I've had D for 10 years and have never had a phone line or internet connection. Never had any problems. I have EI every year as well.

Hello Folks,

I am stepping out of the Sports Forum for the 1st time to ask the pros here a simple, basic question that a co-worker cannot receive a straight answer about:

She is thinking of giving up her land-line phone as she really only ever uses her cell anymore. She was told that a land line is required to retain her Direct TV service. However, when she called and spoke to technicians they used the line "Direct TV PREFERS that you have a land-based line" over and over without saying it is actually REQUIRED.

FYI, the only "extra" subsriptions she gets is the Sports Package and Extra Innings. She does not do PPV or any movie rentals, etc. (Some kind of gal, huh?):D

Many thanks for your consideration with this basic question. Too bad she can't get a complete, direct and honest answer from their support staff.

Regards,
KCK_Halo

KCK, I've had DirecTV for quite some time now, with 3 boxes in total and I've never had any of them ever connected to a land-line. It's never been an issue with me in accessing any of what DirecTV has to offer either.

If they need a new number for contact purposes, just give them your cell number. As for the service though, no need for a phone line to be connected to the boxes.

KCK, I've had DirecTV for quite some time now, with 3 boxes in total and I've never had any of them ever connected to a land-line. It's never been an issue with me in accessing any of what DirecTV has to offer either.

If they need a new number for contact purposes, just give them your cell number. As for the service though, no need for a phone line to be connected to the boxes.

Thanks HD, DK and all. My co-worker has disconnected her land line and all is well with her DTV service. She appreciates all of your input as do I. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts