Landlord disconnected my dish/please help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

titanik

Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
My landlord is replacing the roof on my small apartment building. They disconnected the dish earlier in the week. I just came home to find a note from them telling me to call my "dish company" and tell them to reconnect it on Friday. Landlord disconnected it, landlord should be responsible for putting it back in place, right?

Any advice? Any recommendations on who I should hire and how much that should cost? I guess I'll have to chase the landlord in small claims or something?

I'm on the west side of Los Angeles.

Get the protection plan and you can swindle a $20 service call. Also, just be grateful your landlord allows the dish on the roof, and have written permission to re-install ready for the tech.

My landlord is replacing the roof on my small apartment building. They disconnected the dish earlier in the week. I just came home to find a note from them telling me to call my "dish company" and tell them to reconnect it on Friday. Landlord disconnected it, landlord should be responsible for putting it back in place, right?

Any advice? Any recommendations on who I should hire and how much that should cost? I guess I'll have to chase the landlord in small claims or something?

I'm on the west side of Los Angeles.

Welcome to the site !!!

Actually, Do you REALLY want your landlord to reconnect your dish, can you imagine the signal strength you'd have, if you had any at all.

IF you have the Protection plan, you can call D* and have them come out and re point it for free.
Other options, look in your yellow pages and see if you have someone locally that will do it, you might be able to get it done quicker that way.
Other option, Can you do it yourself ?

Jimbo

Or you could call DirecTV and explain the situation to them, even offer them a copy of the note where the LL said he removed the dish.

They may be willing to work with you on this, but if they aren't then you could try some of the above advice.

It REALLY would have been nice for the landlord to have worked with you BEFORE it got to this point. Do you guys not have any working relationship or something? Did he not know that this would leave you without TV service; I mean GEEZ!.

It REALLY would have been nice for the landlord to have worked with you BEFORE it got to this point. Do you guys not have any working relationship or something? Did he not know that this would leave you without TV service; I mean GEEZ!.

I agree but he doesn't care. Thats how he operates.

Generally, a standard service call to put it back up is $79. Sometimes they'll let you add the protection plan and get it for less, but that is completely up to D*. Technically, the protection is not supposed to start for 30 days after purchase.

Ask the landlord to cover the $79, or split it or something.

Technically it is is not the landlords fault, its the roofers, unless he physically when up there and removed it himself, it happens when a roof is replaced. Even if he told you about it before hand not much you can do but be in the same situation your in now. I am sure the LL told you about the roof replacement which should have triggered your mind into thinking about the dish, but again, what would you do? prevent the repairs? When a roof is replaced, stuff on top of the shingles have to be removed, there is no getting around that. They may have been able to keep teh dish there and work around it, but that is poor craftsmanship and more than likley would lead to leaks. . Even if this was your own home you would be in the same situation. Via D* it will be a Customer caused service call even with a PP it will be $79, you may be able to get away with calling in a Dish Relocate Work order at $50ish, but I would scope out a local retailer and see what they can do or find a D* van/truck in a parking lot and see what he/she can do for you. There is always yourself trying to align it.

A law suit would only bring problems down to you for something as trivial as this, and more than likely end up costing you more than a reinstall with court costs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)