Lantern Update from Syed Karim, Outernet CEO

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
The below is from Syed's( Outernet ) Blog post this morning: http://blog.outernet.is/lantern-update/

Lantern Update from Syed Karim, Outernet CEO
30 September 2015 on Lantern
tldr: Yes, we’re late--and very sorry about it, but we're still hard at work and making steady progress. We hope that you agree with us that the results will be well worth the wait and we very deeply appreciate your patience and support. Although delivering Lantern consists of much more than just the physical device, you can see the final design of the main Lantern component on GitHub.

Sections:

• Unrealistic Timeline
  • This is Where We are Today
  • Improved Look of Lantern
  • Flexible (and Increased) Content Delivery
  • Delivery Date
  • Better Communication
Dear IndieGoGo Backers,

To restate the obvious, yes, we are late. We are not proud of this fact and we are all working very hard to deliver your Lanterns as soon as humanly possibly. The only thing I can say is that making hardware is, well, hard.

Although Lantern can be simplified as just a couple of circuit boards inside of a plastic box, the reality is that there are quite a few moving pieces (some in space) to produce--even though nothing inside Lantern actually moves. In order for Lantern to function as more than just a solar-powered paperweight, we needed to tick off a fairly complicated laundry list of tasks, such as:

• acquiring satellite capacity (done)
  • sending content streams to various teleports (done)
  • fine-tuning broadcast servers and data carousels (done)
  • locating a very specialized antenna (done)
  • developing a high bitrate and low bitrate datacasting client (done)
  • delivering global data delivery over DVB-S
  • creating custom firmware (90% done)
  • selecting a contract manufacturer (90% done)
  • designing an end user interface (continuously improving)
  • building a suitable plastic enclosure (99%)
Although you do not yet have your Lantern in hand, we have come a long way. Remember, Outernet is not just about one product; it's about the notion of universal information access. Your generous support and continued patience is helping us turn this idea into reality. Thank you.

So, first things first:

We Were Unrealistic in Our Timeline
tldr: We have learned from our own campaign and from watching others; super conservative delivery timelines are better than overly optimistic ones.

I want to first give a little context for our IndieGoGo campaign. When we first posted the campaign we promised our initial backers delivery of Lantern in July 2015. As the campaign grew in popularity beyond our expectations, we pushed this back to August 2015, September, and then October--and so on. Looking back, we should have been much more conservative from the onset, as we had an incredible task list to complete in a half-year.

Take a look at the Nebia shower, a very popular Kickstarter campaign that grabbed numerous headlines this month. From the date their campaign closed on September 11, 2015 they promised their first backers a delivery date in May of 2016 - that's eight months later. By comparison, we estimated that the first Lanterns would begin shipping just seven months after our campaign closed.

Nebia also raised $3 million and sold over 10,000 shower heads on Kickstarter, meaning they can go into high volume production right away. While we far exceeded our initial IndieGoGo goal, we aren't yet large enough to capture the efficiencies of scale.

I point this out because it is an important lesson we have learned. While the development of a shower head may have relatively few dependencies and complexities, Nebia did a far better job than we did of setting a realistic timeline.

Although a fluid delivery schedule is part of the crowdfunding process, we certainly could have done a better job of estimating and communicating. I apologize to all of our backers for any frustration we have caused and sincerely appreciate the patience and continued support.

This is Where We Are Today
tldr: The core Lantern design has been open sourced (like 99% of what we produce) and added to GitHub.

The Lantern compute board, which is the heart of the device, went through a second and final design revision in August and September. The first iteration functioned as intended - which means that we successfully installed the firmware from Lighthouse onto the board - but there were a few power issues that needed to be addressed.

V1, as we refer to the board, comes complete with a DVB-S2 tuner, Wi-Fi module, and charging circuit for a lithium iron phosphate battery. It is derived from the Beaglebone Black and, like its older brother, is fully open source. You can find all of the project files on Github. A comprehensive description of the board will be added to the Outernet Wiki in the coming weeks.

Modified Industrial Design
tldr: Design revised to account for a single solar panel, larger antenna size, and better reception quality.

The design of Lantern has changed for a few reasons. Before I go into them, please have a look at the new design:

Lantern pictured in our IndieGoGo campaign:
Lantern-on-brick.jpg

Updated form factor of Lantern:

fin6.jpg

Dimensions (approx): 4" x 8.5" x 1.75". Please note that the color of the case is not finalized.

The first thing you might notice is the reduction of solar panel surface area. There are a few reasons for this:

1. We are on Earth, not Tatooine.

tatooine.jpg
The original design had four solar panels at 90° from one another. As much as we all liked the design, it would only be truly useful on a planet with multiple sources of light. For use on Earth, this earlier design was overly complex and inefficient.

2. Antenna Size and Orientation.
IMG_5969.JPG
The antenna for receiving Lantern's L-band signal is larger than we originally envisioned. The power available to us on the satellite ended is less than what we were hoping for. In order to compensate for a weaker signal, we needed to increase the surface area of the antenna.

3. Signal Interference.
Since solar panels are not RF transparent and would interfere with reception, we needed to move the panel completely out of the way of the larger antenna. We toyed with putting the antenna on the opposite side of the panel, but this option would not allow for simultaneous charging and reception. We also experimented with a folding design, but field experience in developing countries--where spare parts are rare--reinforced simplicity in product design.

Flexible (and increased) Content Delivery
tldr: Silver lining of our delay: the ability to occasionally increase data over 10 MB per day.

The delay in Lantern production from our target date has led to one very important and significant improvement. Instead of offering a fixed 10 MB per day that we gradually increase over time, we will now be able to variably increase the total amount of content delivered per day. For example, a global movie night where everyone votes on and receives a free movie for a Friday night? From the islands of Alaska to the bush in Australia, this is now possible.

Delivery Date
The ultimate question: When will you receive your Lantern?

Since I have been wrong about the ship date on more than one occasion, I would like to start under promising and over delivering, rather than the other way around. By the end of this month, we should have our first complete unit. From there we will produce 10 additional units and then another 50. These initial units will undergo user and performance testing. To keep you up-to-date with our progress, we will update you with testing results and videos of field performance.

By the end of November, we should have received all of the components that are necessary for larger production runs. If all prototype hardware performs without problems, then our target is to ship all Lanterns that are subsequently produced. At first this will be small runs of 10, 50, and 100 at a time, with manual quality assurance and testing. Once the assembly process has been optimized and automated testing is in place, production runs will increase to 1000, 5000, and 10,000 units.

--

What we're building here is more than just a physical product; we're realizing the notion that information access is a fundamental human right. The delivery of Lantern, and with it, the ability to receive the Outernet service, fulfills not only your order, but our promise to build Humanity's Public Library.

You backed Outernet, which allows us to offer everyone in the world a basic level of news, information, and education. We thank you for that, as well as your continued patience.

Again, I apologize for the delay in delivering your Lantern.

Better Communication
The team and I apologize that we have not been the best at communicating the progress of the project. From here on out, we pledge to provide biweekly updates, even if the update isn't particularly interesting.

In the meantime, if you have questions, you can reach us at "hello at outernet.is". Please allow us some time to respond, as our small team receives a large volume of email on a daily basis.

If you'd like to ask me questions directly, please join my AMA (Ask Me Anything) on October 6, 2015 at 11AM Chicago time (CST): https://www.reddit.com/r/ama. If you have never participated in an AMA before, I suggest visiting the link in advance and joining another AMA. Don't worry, they are very easy to join.

Most Sincerely,
Syed Karim

Syed Karim
Founder and CEO of Outernet.

Chicago, IL http://outernet.is

This update was just issued:

Hello Backers,

In my previous update I mentioned a strategic partnership, which was the cause for a major change in Lantern. Although this partnership does push back the delivery of Lantern, it also makes for a far more interesting product.

I'm very happy to announce that ViaSat (NASDAQ:VSAT) and Outernet have formalized a strategic partnership, which provides Outernet access to ViaSat L-band Managed Services. This relationship allows us to double the amount of content we send outside of the United States. And we'll have even more capacity available in the US through the support of LightSquared, which operates the SkyTerra-1 satellite.

There are, of course, pros and cons to this relationship. In addition to the strategic relationship with ViaSat, Outernet is also a value-added reseller of it's M2M products and service. The board that I showed in my previous update is from the FT-2225, which is a commercially available product that we will soon offer for certain types of applications. Unfortunately, due to its $800 price tag, this is not something we can use as a basis of Lantern. If you're curious about the specs of the FT2225, you can read more here:

https://www.viasat.com/sites/default/files/media/documents/m2m_2225_ww_datasheet_017_web.pdf

As I mentioned before, we are working with ViaSat on developing a cost-reduced version of the FT-2225, which is a ruggedized, enterprise-class satellite terminal. The goal is to turn the core technology into more of a consumer-grade product. This process will take some time--up to six months--but the end result will be a more useful product. I say more useful because it will receive more content and also have the ability to make content requests over the satellite, at no cost to Outernet's customers. Yes, this device will not only receive data, but also transmit simple messages (this feature can be turned off in software, for those who do not wish for the device to be a transmitter).

We've been told repeatedly that even the simplest form of two-way communications would be incredibly valuable. And that is precisely why there was such huge change--and delay--in the development of the product. This feature, as well as the ability to have access to the 1 Mbps pipe that ViaSat offers, was an opportunity that we could not pass up.

As soon as the development schedule is finalized with ViaSat, we'll be developing the new Lantern in an open, collaborative manner, which is what we should have done from the start.

The service is evolving, but not sure into what? Another satellite internet service or reselling ViaSat?

The initial Outernet concept captured my imagination and opened my wallet on the Indiegogo funding campaign. Free internet data for underserved communities, community shared library via WiFi, cheap hardware and multi-platform distribution.

The original vision is lost...

Reactions: Jim S. and dougruss
Thanks Syed for the update. The new design with the patch antenna seems to be a more realistic working version than the original tower design. Is that a large electrolytic capacitor at the bottom of the case or the lithium phosphate storage battery?

The one way service for underserved areas was noble and worth my support. I agree that even simple 2 way via satellite is opening a huge can of worms. Can you spell FCC regulation? What will stop someone from pointing at the wrong sat and creating interference? Accidentally or deliberately? Just a bad move.

Difference between Outernet and FreeDBS is that Outernet is already transmitting free unencrypted data worldwide on many satellites and has been selling equipment for over a year. FDBS never transmitted, produced or sold anything.
True

I have been wanting to, but too many projects and other things and not enough time.

I am interested in the lanterns, or possibly the raspberry pi version, for emergency reception of news and information. Not sure if it fits the bill or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)