Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I have anew Compaq laptop. It connects to my home network just fine. It detects other unencrypted networks elsewhere but i do not see to be able to connect. any thoughts?

Last edited:
Geronimo said:
I have anew Compaq laptop. It connects to my home network just fine.

Meaning you are on your own network and able to surf, or just on your network and can't surf?

It detects other unencryptes networks elsewhere but i do not see to be able to connect.

Somewhat same question as above for me the clarify what you are asking;

Are you not being able to surf on your own network, or just asking why you can't seem to connect to the other networks your wireless is within range of?

I cannot connect to a network other than my home network. If I go to another location I cannot sign on even though one or more networks are visible. I made no reference to surfing. Only to connecting to networks.

Last edited:
Are they free? Even some open networks can require and user/pswd combo as authentication. They just aren't using WEP or WPA. I think Starbucks and hotels are like that, with a fee. There are some free ones that are open like a McDonald's near me, even though free, they still required me to get a user/pswd. What "other location" are you referring to and that would help tremendously in solving the issue.

Geronimo said:
I cannot connect to a network other than my home network. If I go to another location I cannot sign on even though one or more networks are visible. I made no reference to surfing. Only to connecting to networks.

Does it give you an option to put a user name and password in or does it try to connect and say limited or no connectivity?

As I said above they are unencrypted networks. It does noy say that there is limited or no connectivity---that is an error message that only appears after you have signed on to a network. It simply fails to connect at all.

Where? Name of location? Is this a retail place, another friends network, what? Non-encrypted (WEP/WPA) is one thing, but even in an open network you can still be required to use a simple authentication if that network's admin setup that way.

If you are on a friends network with no WEP/WPA or authentication, then are you using dynamic or static IP assignments? Just trying to get some details to narrow down.

It is internal andI am using Windows----as I doa t home where it connects fine to my own network.

charper1 said:
Where? Name of location? Is this a retail place, another friends network, what? Non-encrypted (WEP/WPA) is one thing, but even in an open network you can still be required to use a simple authentication if that network's admin setup that way.

If you are on a friends network with no WEP/WPA or authentication, then are you using dynamic or static IP assignments? Just trying to get some details to narrow down.

Pubic site Others can connect fine But I cannot. No authentication is required. Dynamic addresses.

Geronimo- Some more suggestions for you-

Be sure you are set to DHCP and then run the Windows Network setup wizzard. You may need to reboot as well. A wide open network is the easiest one to connect to. But if your wifi adapter has a fixed IP entered then it won't connect. I just did one last week at the Hilton. My client had her Compaq laptop. Hilton desk clerk said nothing is required. We just made sure her file sharing was off and then turned on the wifi switch and in a few seconds it was connected. A 192.168.1.xxx ip was assigned and she was off to her web site.
Many restaurants now have sign in pages with userid and PW. Starbucks is T-Mobile and you need their account to log in or buy time.

My guess is your wifi adapter in your laptop has the settings incorrect for public wifiand is trying to log into your own LAN which is probably secure. Also, be sure the RF channel number is set to auto scan.

As I said others can sign on. Only I can't. No fixed IP address. DHCP is enable. I do NOT know what is wrong.

OK, you have DHCP enabled. Therefore did you get an IP assignment? What was it? You don't need to list the last three numbers. If you didn't get an assignment then you still have something not set right in the setup wizzard. You need to run that again. Remember in that wizzard to select that you are connecting to the internet thru another computer OR A GATEWAY, which is what you are doing. Once you do the wizzard, did you reboot?

Have you examined your Network Connections? There is where you can see the IP assignment, including the subnet mask. I assume the drivers are right for your wifi adapter since you said it works for the home lan.

I still do not understand fully. You say you just cannot sign on or you cannot connect at all, which is it? Does it try to connect?

It cannot connect. They are unencrypted so no real sign on takes place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Landis said:
Have you examined your Network Connections? There is where you can see the IP assignment, including the subnet mask. I assume the drivers are right for your wifi adapter since you said it works for the home lan.

He is using wireless laptop, he is traveling between locations, like location #1 is his home and he connects fine. Location #2 is another open network like going to a library.

His dynamic assigned IP method should work fine, as long as these other location do not want a 'login' (not talking about WEP/WPA security). He should not have to change anything (drivers) or reboot each time to get a connection to other location's open networks. This would be a total nightmare when traveling. I have never needed to do any of this and hit at least 3 or 4 different networks each week in my travels.

It has to be one small setup issue that is either checked or unchecked as needed. It is nearing the time to see some screen dumps of your settings and post them so we can see what you are doing. Its going to be that simple. Do not change drivers.

IP addys are really nothing so sacred so you can blank them out if you want, but its really not needed.

Last edited:
What O/S and version are you using? What wireless adapter? I use this method below with ZERO hassels anywhere I go; open free net or paid.

Get to it how you like: Right click 'Network" on the desktop and select properties. Right click the adapter and select properties. Do you see any of the below settings/tabs?

In the wireless adapter's TCP/IP general properties tab, make sure both Obtain IP and Obtain DNS are set to AUTO.

In the Alternate Config tab (if you have it) also AUTO private IP.

On the wireless network tab; is "USE WINDOWS" selected to handle your wireless settings? Make it so, if not.

In the preferred networks field look at the networks your adapter has seen: click the network in question and select properties, and correct the options to your needs. (do that for any other networks as well).

Click the advanced button, select ANY AVAL and decide if you want the AUTO connect.

OK or back out and reboot to see if you are better off/working.

Last edited:
charper1

Agree with all your comments- But, I did find that in my case I had to use the wizzard often as I was switching between several methods of network adapters and connection protocols. Geronimo, has said little about the details of his system that I felt maybe it was time to start from scratch and do a fresh start on this "open" connection he says others have no problems with. I also can have everythiong set correctly at times but a connection will just not work, at that point, change nothing, just reboot and it connects fine. I have a feelinhg this is just another one of those Windows idiosyncracies.

BTW- I have also been fooled trying to log into a strange open network and can't get to the internet. Surprise that the LAN didn't have internet capability. But I'm sure that's not the case here as Geronimo has said others are haning no problems.

Don Landis said:
OK, you have DHCP enabled. Therefore did you get an IP assignment? What was it? You don't need to list the last three numbers. If you didn't get an assignment then you still have something not set right in the setup wizzard. You need to run that again. Remember in that wizzard to select that you are connecting to the internet thru another computer OR A GATEWAY, which is what you are doing. Once you do the wizzard, did you reboot?

You don't get an IP ssignment when you can't sign on.

Did you disable encryption on your laptop?

I forgot to mention, if you have a popup blocker, disable it while you're trying to connect. Many public sites use a popup for a login window.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)