Larger dish for HD

hbilt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
biscayne park(miami,Fl)
I have a dish 500 for my hd and get rain fade with a clear view of sky. Has anyone changed their dish for a fortec 80, or 90 and how well does it work?
Was it easy?
Harvey

You can use a SuperDish, these have more gain for 110/119 than a dish500.
Rain fade happens before the signal gets to the dish, it has more to do with the frequency these sats use, 12.2-12.7ghz, than the dish size.
You will get rain fade from these sats with a 10ft dish, if conditions are right.
But with a larger than recommended dish you can hold the signal longer.

The fortec or any larger dish won't have a Dish Skew adjustment for multiple sats so mounting 2 LNBs will require a custom bracket so you can "tilt" the LNBs to match the 2 different elevations of 110 and 119 from your location, but it would work fine as far as getting you a longer lasting signal on heavy rain days.

Yes the larger dish would work better, less rain fade, for 61.5
I would assume 61.5 is low in the sky for you which is why you notice the rain fade more on that sat than 110/119.
Lower in the sky means signal from satellite has to go through more atmosphere to get to your dish so signal can be defused more by moisture.

When using a non-provider dish use the LNB holder that comes with the dish and clamp the LNB in it, never try to slide the LNB into the support arm like you would with a providers dish, the LNBs feedhorn would be in the wrong place for this type of dish.
Since DN LNBs have a LARGE plastic covers on them they don't fit into most LNB clamps, you can either get a DTV LNB or make a custom clamp that places the DN LNB's Feedhorn at the correct height and distance from the dish, this height and distance can be seen by installing the LNB clamp and measuring.
If you are using a DishPro (DP) setup you will need to go the custom bracket direction, a DTV LNB wouldn't be compatable with DP.

Tom Bombadil said:
WELCOME to RonD.

Jumping in with a solid technical response on his first post!!!

Thanks, really nice site you have here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)