Last and Next 3D Movie

Last: Dial M for Murder

Always one of my favorite Hitchcock's. Color was restored as well as the 3D. Very different from other 3d movies since it is essentially only shot in a two room set. The way it was shots were setup make much more sense in 3d.

Next: Prometheus (Have it already just haven't gotten around to watching it).

I start my vacation the week after next. Hopefully having the house to myself, I'll be able to do some catching up.

S~

JUST RECEIVED DIAL M FOR MURDER AND DEPTH WAS EXCELLENT AND HE MAINLY USED THE 3d FOR DEPTH.THEY DID LEAVE IN THE INTERMISION SIGN THAT YOU GOT AT THE THEATRE WHILE THEY CHANGED REELS. I ORDERED CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON FROM AMAZON UK AND IT SHOULD BE HERE BY NOV 7.

I haven't watched as many 3D Blu-rays as most of you because I mainly rent my disks from Netflix. I don't like to buy most movies because I only watch them once or twice for the most part but unfortunately Netflix doesn't offer Blu-ray 3D. If I do buy Blu-rays they are usually 3D or box sets like the Star Wars collection. I would really like a 3D box set with all the Marvel movies leading up to The Avengers if they ever release something like that.

I did order Prometheus 3D to round out my Alien box set. I have to say this is the best Blu-ray I have ever watched in terms of picture and sound quality. This is the first live action 3D experience I have seen that rivals Avatar. It got me excited about 3D again. I have been reading this thread to look for other movies I should consider and it looks like I will be checking out amazon.

ou can rent bluray 3D from this california company for 7 days from 4.99 to 7.99. it taks about 3 days delivery time but they have a lot of the latest 3d films. www.3D-blurayrental.com

Last edited:
Last: Three Musketeers (Not too bad for only paying $10, with coupons.)

Next: Ghost Rider 2

Just happened to check out my local family video out of the blue today and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they rent Blu-ray 3D. I haven't been in there for years because of Netflix. If you have a family video in your area check them out.

They don't offer everything but they do have a decent selection. They seemed to offer most 3D movies released in the last 6 months or so but everything before that was hit or miss. The manager told me to expect any new 3D release to be available there from now on.

I just picked up Madagascar 3 and The Avengers both in 3D for 5 nights at a total of $3.

Madagascar 3 has great 3D. Unfortunately, the PS3 still can't do Dolby TrueHD and 3D at the same time. I tried bitstream and LPCM output and it didn't work either way. Luckily most movies are DTS-MA HD now and that does work bitstream with 3D.

Madagascar 3 has great 3D. Unfortunately, the PS3 still can't do Dolby TrueHD and 3D at the same time. I tried bitstream and LPCM output and it didn't work either way. Luckily most movies are DTS-MA HD now and that does work bitstream with 3D.

The PS3 is at it's limits when it comes to that. No firmware update can get past that since the hardware is at it's limits.

Ramy said:
The PS3 is at it's limits when it comes to that. No firmware update can get past that since the hardware is at it's limits.

I guess I just don't understand why it can do DTS-MA HD and 3D but not TrueHD. According to the info bar you can bring up during playback on the PS3, DTS-MA HD almost always seems to have the higher bit rate of the two formats. You are probably right or they would have fixed it by now but I don't understand what the problem is. Anyways, it looks like Dreamworks is still using TrueHD for their movies but most other recent 3D releases are DTS-MA HD so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for me.

Note: I have the PS3 slim. This model can bitstream both DTS-MA HD and Dolby TrueHD while the fat PS3 can't. It just can't do TrueHD and 3D at the same time even if you switch to LPCM output in the PS3 settings.

Perhaps DTS-MA HD has a higher bit rate because there is less compression. More complex decompression takes more CPU, so TrueHD could take more computational power to decompress, thereby making 3D and TrueHD too much for the PS3.

Just watched The Avengers 3D Blu-ray. The first half bothered me a little. All the dark scenes in the first half didn't work well with my 3D setup. The subtitles in the interrogation scene were especially bad. However, everything starting with the aircraft carrier on looked outstanding. Once things brightened up the 3D really popped and the picture quality was great. Overall, Prometheus still outshines this movie in the 3D department for me but the final showdown at the end of Avengers is as good as anything I have seen.

The DTS-MA HD soundtrack was also as great as you would expect from a blockbuster action movie like this.

Last: Avengers 3D

Finally got around to it. Audio was outstanding. Movie was very enjoyable as was the 3D, especially the end.

Next: Prometheus

S~

Prometheus - Ive watched my copy 4 times now. Enjoying it more each time. One of those I began checking out the 2D copy and didn't get far. 3D was so much more interesting. This is one movie that 3D really adds to the visual.