Latest Eastern Arc Satellite Issue Update

Be patient or if you can't and you know how to do a "Check Switch", run one with your satellite cable(s) UNPLUGGED. Let it go through the steps, complaints, errors, etc, etc. Then re-connect them and re-run the "Check Switch" test.

So are they going to put the channels back onto 77? When? I don't know whether I should repoint my dish and somebody else's to 72 (if that is where Charleston WV channels are now located at) or just wait.

Be patient or if you can't and you know how to do a "Check Switch", run one with your satellite cable(s) UNPLUGGED. Let it go through the steps, complaints, errors, etc, etc. Then re-connect them and re-run the "Check Switch" test.
Well, I ran a "check switch" but since I have a 922 this didn't force the Channel Guide to update. So, I forced a Channel Guide update (I think) by changing the time of nightly updates temporarily (from the default of 3am) and my receiver shut down and rebooted. Unfortunately, this didn't solve my problem and I'm still without my HD locals. I guess I'll just wait, but I'm gonna be pissed if they don't return by the Super Bowl.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a couple more days and call Dish if it's still wonky then.

This has nothing to do with the program guide. Did you do it twice, first time with cables removed?

Yep, I just finished doing it twice...once with the cables removed and again with them reinstalled and I still don't see my HD locals. Are you sure that the procedure is the same for the ViP 922?

FWIW, after I ran the check switch routine the first time, it asked if I wanted to save the new configuration and warned that I'd lose channels in the process. I selected "Save" and got another warning stating that I shouldn't remove satellites so I selected "Cancel." I suspect that I needed to let the receiver remove the satellites from my configuration, but all the warnings scared me out of it.

Looks like Echostar 8 is still alive. Transponder 16 is now showing up on the BLSA. Looks like Turbo QPSK. I can't tell what's there as TSReader locks up on Turbo QPSK 5/6 FEC on the DVBTech card.

Looks like Echostar 8 is still alive. Transponder 16 is now showing up on the BLSA. Looks like Turbo QPSK. I can't tell what's there as TSReader locks up on Turbo QPSK 5/6 FEC on the DVBTech card.

Nice to see them getting it back online. I suppose they will test E8 for a while to be sure everything is working again before they move programming back to it.

All this is way over my head, and my local HD channels are still out (Cincinnati). Is there anything I need to do or will they eventually come back online? I do have a wing dish for my locals and I assume it's pointed at 71.

The List says your HD locals are on 61.5, your SD locals are on 110. Check switch won't help if you're not pointing there. Maybe you meant 61.5 instead of 71.

It sounds like they are making progress. Hope they get it fixed and all the channels moved back before the Super Bowl. I can't get half of the local HD channels even with an amplified antenna.

Last edited:
I would have to guess that it depends on the actual issue. If it's fixable, no need to file or report anything, wouldn't you agree ?

As i said in my earlier post this is a gray area. It does not fit easily into the standard categories so it is hard to say if they have to file or when. i will say that when E2 was failing a few years back they did file an 8K to report that they were having difficulties with it. I just can't say though that the lack of a filing means much here.

SORRY I DID NOT SEE MR. GRECZKOWSKI'S POST BEFORE I MADE THIS ONE> I WAS RESPONDING TO A PRIVATE MESSAGE BUT IF THEY ARE STARTING TO MOVE CHANNELS BACK THE BEST THING To DO IS WAIT TO SEE WHAT APPEARS

Last edited:
Springfield, MO DMA was on 72.7 until about 30 min. ago. Now guessing they have been moved back to 77. Back out in the snow to repoint wing dish now.

The List says your HD locals are on 61.5, your SD locals are on 110. Check switch won't help if you're not pointing there. Maybe you meant 61.5 instead of 71.

I am also in Cincinnati, and my locals are still gone too. Happened when 77 went down and was told it would be back on Sunday. NOW I am being told hopefully by THIS weekend. Can I move my dish to pick up local HD, or jump ship and go to DirectTV?

I am in Davenport IA and have a mainly western arc setup with 110, 119 and 129 so I have a wing dish for 77 to get locals in HD. I still do not have any signal restored from 77 so no HD locals, only SD from my other satellites.