Latest on the Warner going HD-DVD

Looking back now at the Paramount deal, this was apparently in the works for some time, considering how few announced BD/HD DVD titles they had. Blades of Glory was the only significant title that had to be pulled in BD. And look at the "Boycott Paramount" outcry in the Blu forums.

With Warner having the Ocean's and Harry Potter titles announced on both formats out into December, I don't see anyway Warner could announced exclusivity for either format until next year without doing significant damage to their public image.

But then, that doesn't preclude them from letting a subsidiary - say New Line, for example - decide they agree with Paramount's logic. ;)

For a trashtruck load of money any studio will go exclusive. That being said -- Toshiba is not the only one throwing money at Warner right now -- Sony is doing it too. Now the real question is if Sony is asking for exclusivity or for Warner to remain nuetral. Another thing interesting is the timing of the exit of the CEO. The parent owner of Warner likes BD -- who knows why -- and as Warner is on the BDA this is going to be real interesting in how it turns out.

Paramont and Dreamworks I can do without -- Warner is a differant story.

For a trashtruck load of money any studio will go exclusive. That being said -- Toshiba is not the only one throwing money at Warner right now -- Sony is doing it too. Now the real question is if Sony is asking for exclusivity or for Warner to remain nuetral. Another thing interesting is the timing of the exit of the CEO. The parent owner of Warner likes BD -- who knows why -- and as Warner is on the BDA this is going to be real interesting in how it turns out.

Paramont and Dreamworks I can do without -- Warner is a differant story.
Is that you beatboy?

From Bluray Bill the Shill Hunt:

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]MY TWO CENTS - 9/10/07 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *](LATE UPDATE - 9/10/07 - 12:15 PM PDT)[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Here we go again: It seems that Toshiba, fresh off their success in paying Paramount and DreamWorks to go HD-DVD exclusive, has now made a huge offer to get Warner Home Video to do the same. According to this story at the L.A. Times, Warner is currently considering "a lucrative offer" to go HD-DVD exclusive as well (if you can't see it, Newsday has the article up too). The same piece says that Wal-Mart had set a mid-August deadline to consider which format to continue carrying in its retail stores, but that Toshiba has pledged to the retailer "a large cooperative promotional budget to support HD DVD sales." For the second time today: Ugh.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]It's all about the Benjamins, folks. Cash on the barrel head. And there's nothing like a little cha-ching to warm a studio up to "the merits" of your high-def format. Anyone who actually thinks this is still about the merits of the technology, and what consumers actually want, is kidding themselves. It's all money. Always was, always will be.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Format wars. HUH! What are they good for? Absolutely NOTHING.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Unless you're a big studio CEO that is. "Please sir, may I have some more millions?" MMmmmmm... millions.[/FONT]
The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Diogen - a quote from the LA Times article:

"The brinkmanship is intensifying. Another major studio, Warner Bros., is being courted by both camps and believed to be mulling over a lucrative offer that could bring such popular titles as "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" into the HD DVD camp, according to Hollywood insiders who requested anonymity because the talks were confidential."

It does not take much of a brain like you to figure that 'both camps' means both Toshiba and Sony! Because of the HD-DVD coup with Paramount and Dreamworks everyone thinks that is HD-DVD who has the upper hand but it could be the BDA in this one -- all they have to do is offer the same money for continued nuetrality. And then the consumer can decided -- isn't that what you HD-DVD fanatics want anyway?

I just wanna know what kind of reliable reporting starts with "It seems that........"?

That's an easy one - 'Reliable reporting' and "Bill Hunt & THe Digital Bits" don't even belong in the same sentence. When he caught flack for his initial FUD that it was Microsoft's Money that bought Paramount, he backtracked by saying his site was "editorial, opinion based".

But, guys - it's in the linked article in the OP -

The brinkmanship is intensifying. Another major studio, Warner Bros., is being courted by both camps and believed to be mulling over a lucrative offer that could bring such popular titles as "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" into the HD DVD camp, according to Hollywood insiders who requested anonymity because the talks were confidential.

After Paramount, I'm sure the BDA / Sony aren't taking anything for granted.

Am I the only one that thinks the wording is odd?

"could bring such popular titles as "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" into the HD DVD camp,"

They don't say "exclusively into...." It's like the writer didn't know they're already available on HD DVD and BD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts