Sales of HD DVD Players Plunge After Warner Move

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
LOS ANGELES — One week after Warner Brothers Entertainment announced that it was abandoning its support for the next-generation HD DVD format in favor of the Blu-ray high-definition format, consumers abandoned HD DVD.
What was a 50-50 market split in 2007 for the high-definition players shifted sharply in Blu-ray’s favor in the new year. For the week that ended Jan. 12, Blu-ray hardware captured 90 percent of the market, according to data collected by the NPD Group, a market analysis firm.
The Warner film studio, a division of Time Warner, announced Jan. 4 that after May it would release movies solely in the Blu-ray format. Until then, it was the one major studio to release in both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats.
But is one week of sales data an indicator of the end of HD DVD or simply a temporary blip?
Toshiba, the major manufacturer of HD DVD players, thinks the data signify little. Jodi Sally, vice president for marketing of digital audio/video at Toshiba America Consumer Products, said player sales dropped because the company had just ended a Christmas discount and because some Blu-ray players were being given away to the buyers of certain flat panel TVs.
Stephen Baker, NPD’s vice president for industry analysis, said not too much should be read into one week’s sales results. “One week is not a trend. It’s a data point,” he said.
Still, Mr. Baker doubted that sales swings of that magnitude could be attributed to price changes alone, especially given the extensive news coverage the Warner announcement received.
Toshiba certainly took notice. To spur sales, it cut the price of its players on Jan. 13. Its entry-level HD-A3 machine now sells for $149.99, down from $299, making it not that much more expensive than some of the old-fashioned DVD players. Blu-ray players typically cost about $300.
Warner’s announcement leaves DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures with the HD DVD format. In addition to Warner Brothers, Blu-ray distributors include Walt Disney, Fox, Lionsgate, MGM and Sony.
“Consumers have gotten the message loud and clear,” said Andy Parsons, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a trade group. “Lowering prices sends the message that Toshiba is having a fire sale.”
Toshiba says it will increase its marketing efforts, including running HD DVD ads during the Super Bowl. “At $149, HD DVD is still a great value,” Ms. Sally said.
“I don’t see market share going back to 50-50,” Mr. Parsons said. “That I will bet a lot of money on.”

Link: The New York Times > Log In
Good read, lets see what Toshiba can pull out after their Super Bowl commercial.

Toshiba just needs to hold out long enough to show they won't go away and make Warner regret their choice.. I bet you if they survive this year we'll see studio support change yet again..

the war that would never die is what this will be called in history.. :)

Toshiba just needs to hold out long enough to show they won't go away and make Warner regret their choice.. I bet you if they survive this year we'll see studio support change yet again..

the war that would never die is what this will be called in history.. :)

"Toshiba needs to hold out longer".
Will their stockholders keep their faith in them?

Edited post by IcEWoLF

Last edited:
HD-DVD is just fine

BDD_mp_flesh_5.3.jpg

"Toshiba needs to hold out longer".
Oh yeah? I don't think their stockholders are too happy, and in few days Toshiba will be giving away free HD-DVD players to hold out? I don't call that a win,or even staying in the whole war to win, I call that a liquidation, give people BS to believe in, and then just walk out of the door screwing the new buyers up.

hddvd2008abr4.jpg

I believe it was your beloved BR players that were free along with 26 weeks of BOGO on software.

Prove it! :D

I may not have to. If HD-DVD continues production long enough, the President of Toshiba may rip his own heart out and eat it :hungry:

btw, nothing personal with this stuff. I just enjoy some good sparing back and forth once in a while. I hope you guys feel the same way.

Even if Toshiba can hold out, how long will Paramount and Universal with their titles not getting displayed in major retailers or Blockbuster while BD sales continue to climb? I was at my nearest Blockbuster yesterday, which carried around 200 different BD titles and not a single HD DVD. Not only that, but their front entrance was flanked by two giant window-sized Blu-ray banners (this in a heavily populated uptown area of San Diego).

I went little out of the way in this thread, sorry if I offended some of you, still love you guys.
Lets look at it the bright side, HD-DVD player purchase + 5free movies, 50% off, good up converter, tons of movies to select from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)