HD DVD Player Sales Top 750,000

Here the #2 format in terms of platform sales shows that their format met amilestone without mentioning the gap between formats.
That is because you have to factor in attach rates with those numbers for it to mean anything. When you do there is a much smaller gap when calculating software sales. You also have to get into the percentage of PS3's used for movies etc etc. It gets too complicated for the layman (and the blubloods) to understand. If you have twice the number of players on the market but mine have a 7:1 attach rate compared to yours then guess who is really winning the war? If the two makes ever reach equal numbers then your brand is being trounced.

That is because you have to factor in attach rates with those numbers for it to mean anything.

Only if you're pushing HD-DVD.

When you do there is a much smaller gap when calculating software sales.

Actually, the gap in sales is still the same. You're just using attach rate to try to prove that HD is going to catch up - it has nothing to do with how many titles are being sold today.

You also have to get into the percentage of PS3's used for movies etc etc. It gets too complicated for the layman (and the blubloods) to understand.

It is very complicated because BOTH sides twist numbers to say what they want them to say.

If you have twice the number of players on the market but mine have a 7:1 attach rate compared to yours then guess who is really winning the war?

Um, I think the one selling more software is winning. Not to say that can't change.... If your hypothesis here was accurate (1/2 the players but 7 times the attach rate), then yes, they would be selling more software. As of now, it's not, and they're not.

If the two makes ever reach equal numbers then your brand is being trounced.

On the other hand, IF, as more players flood the market, the HD attach rate goes down and the sales ratio doesn't change, who's being trounced then?

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think anyone on either side has any CONCLUSIVE numbers to prove anything, much as they like to think they do.

You have to count every Blu-ray capable player (this includes PS3). I vote for this approach going forward. Most Blu users are using a PS3 so you have to count them all. So based on the HD DVD figures of players and the Blu-ray figure of players there are about 3 times the number of Blu players. The attacment rate appears to becoming equalized.

You have to count every Blu-ray capable player (this includes PS3). I vote for this approach going forward. Most Blu users are using a PS3 so you have to count them all. So based on the HD DVD figures of players and the Blu-ray figure of players there are about 3 times the number of Blu players. The attacment rate appears to becoming equalized.

Did you just say something good about Blu-Ray? Or did I misunderstand you...? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)