There's no such thing as an HD-DVD player (according to Best Buy)

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
I'm not trying to start a fight with this, as I really don't think it's a big deal at this point - just found it interesting...

If you go to BestBuy.com and click on the "outlet" banner on the main page, they have the Toshiba HD-DVD players on there at discounted prices ($99/$129/$149 - but all sold out), and they refer to them as "Upconverting DVD players with HD-DVD playback."

I guess it makes sense to market them that way at this point, but it's kind of weird....

Gotta be cheaper to take the loss than to pay the landfill.

I'm not trying to start a fight with this, as I really don't think it's a big deal at this point - just found it interesting...

If you go to BestBuy.com and click on the "outlet" banner on the main page, they have the Toshiba HD-DVD players on there at discounted prices ($99/$129/$149 - but all sold out), and they refer to them as "Upconverting DVD players with HD-DVD playback."

I guess it makes sense to market them that way at this point, but it's kind of weird....
A little advice if your not trying to start a fight then don't start your statement with "I'm not trying to start a fight".:eek:

I think Toshiba was starting to advertise its upconvert abilities very prominently in their ads.

A little advice if your not trying to start a fight then don't start your statement with "I'm not trying to start a fight".:eek:

I think Toshiba was starting to advertise its upconvert abilities very prominently in their ads.

Which IMHO is a wise move, the players are great upconverters. It would be a shame to just junk all the remaining players. I'll keep mine in service as long as it keeps playing. I don't want to use my PS3 as my primary DVD player. I'll only use it for BD's I buy.

they refer to them as "Upconverting DVD players with HD-DVD playback."
Thats a far cry from "no such thing as an HD DVD player" Infact it is in direct contradiction to your statement. "HD DVD playback" is the very definition of an HD DVD player. This thread is pure fight bait, not to mention a poor reflection on your reading comprehension.

The title for the Samsung combo player in this morning's BB ad says "Blu-ray and upconvert player". In the description it says it plays both Blu-ray and HD DVD discs and upconverts SD discs.

S~

Thats a far cry from "no such thing as an HD DVD player" Infact it is in direct contradiction to your statement. "HD DVD playback" is the very definition of an HD DVD player. This thread is pure fight bait, not to mention a poor reflection on your reading comprehension.

You know, before I even read the thread I knew vurb and nonrev would have to chime in in a condescending manner... I got the order in which they would respond wrong, but hey, cant be right all of the time:p

Whatever, buddy. You guys are always looking for something that's not there, and I'm sure it's not possible that I actually meant what I said and just found this interesting.

In the past, they were called "HD-DVD Players" with whatever features they have.... Now they're called "Upconverting DVD Players," one of the features of which is HD-DVD playback - that was my only point.

And, by the way, you chastising someone for posting "pure fight bait" is pretty comical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)