Help!! Need to upgrade my DVD Player

mitsufan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Okay my old Pioneer 414 may it RIP is now dead, I was just trying to hold on until the format war ended. So it looks like BR is the winner, although I was pushing for HD-DVD, but hey, even I can read the writing on the wall.

So I need to upgrade but wondering if I should wait a bit longer. I’m looking at the Samsung BR-P1400 model. It’s one of the only models to have the ethernet port to upgrade the firmware to 1.1. Should I wait until players come out w/ version 1.1 on them and they smooth over some of the quirky operational issues? Any other models I should look at? I’m only ale to use component cables at this time on my older HD RPTV.

Currently my DVD collection only consists of standard DVD’s.

Im not too familiar with the 1400 and its 1.1 capabilities(teamerickson can prob help you). I own the BD30 which is 1.1 and a fine player.

If you want the ethernet and profile 2.0 functions, just go with a ps3(BD50 is coming later this year). I did find that the ps3 pq is not as high at 720p as the BD30, but I think it does very well(according to others at 1080p).

With your limited connection options on the TV, you will not be able to take advantage of the upscaling abilities of the new player whether it be HD DVD or BluRay (doesn't upscale through component). You might want to save the money you would put on a player and put it towards a new TV set. You don't have to look to hard to find a sale on a HDTV that comes with a free player.

The 1400 is not 1.1 compliant. It may be someday, but I really doubt it. They are releasing the 1500 later this year (June) that will be 1.1. I really like the 1400 (I actually like it better the my Toshiba A1, but don't tell anyone. :eek:). Some people have had issues with the earlier released players. They've had about 3 updates and the problems seem to be solved. I have not had any problems with mine (I bought in December), and I think it's the best value of any Blu player. It has everything (except 1.1). It decodes the HD audio and will pass it through HDMI, or you can use the 5.1 analog for older recievers. The picture will look great through component but not as good as HDMI.

This thread should probably go in the Blu section as it seems you have already made up your mind on which format.

With your limited connection options on the TV, you will not be able to take advantage of the upscaling abilities of the new player whether it be HD DVD or BluRay (doesn't upscale through component). You might want to save the money you would put on a player and put it towards a new TV set. You don't have to look to hard to find a sale on a HDTV that comes with a free player.

I know it won’t upscale but my current DVD’s will look better as my old DVD player wasn’t even progressive scan. I do plan on upgrading the TV set but if I', going to get a new DVD player it might as well be oh HD quality for the future HD discs I purchase. Futhermore I was led to beleive that OPPO OPDV971H 720p/1080i Up-Converting DVD Player with DVI Output this unit did upconvert via component cables as well.

Im not too familiar with the 1400 and its 1.1 capabilities(teamerickson can prob help you). I own the BD30 which is 1.1 and a fine player.

If you want the ethernet and profile 2.0 functions, just go with a ps3(BD50 is coming later this year). I did find that the ps3 pq is not as high at 720p as the BD30, but I think it does very well(according to others at 1080p).
Mitsufan I would stay away from the BD30 it has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Also no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades or future interactive content. Getting disappointing reviews for upconverting. I'm pretty sure you want want those very basic things for $500.

Mitsufan I would stay away from the BD30 it has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Also no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades or future interactive content. Getting disappointing reviews for upconverting. I'm pretty sure you want want those very basic things for $500.

As always, you dont own the machine and talk badly about the upconversion. It does fine, get over it, quit spreading lies about the player.'

BTW, I notice you did not offer ANY suggestions as to what player he should buy :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder if you arent another one of those guys that has nothing to add, you just like to complain about everything. Or was this just another attempt in your campaign against the BD30 :rolleyes:

Okay my old Pioneer 414 may it RIP is now dead, I was just trying to hold on until the format war ended. So it looks like BR is the winner, although I was pushing for HD-DVD, but hey, even I can read the writing on the wall.

So I need to upgrade but wondering if I should wait a bit longer. I’m looking at the Samsung BR-P1400 model. It’s one of the only models to have the ethernet port to upgrade the firmware to 1.1. Should I wait until players come out w/ version 1.1 on them and they smooth over some of the quirky operational issues? Any other models I should look at? I’m only ale to use component cables at this time on my older HD RPTV.

Currently my DVD collection only consists of standard DVD’s.

Honestly your choices are a cheap HD DVD player *AND* a Playstation 3. A 40GB PS3 is $299+ tax if you want to get a Sony credit card. A Toshiba A3 is $145. Universal and Paramount along with many independent studios are still HD DVD exclusive. If you want all the high def movies, you pretty much need to be purple. The cost of entry for HD DVD is still significantly cheaper.

As always, you dont own the machine and talk badly about the upconversion. It does fine, get over it, quit spreading lies about the player.'

BTW, I notice you did not offer ANY suggestions as to what player he should buy :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder if you arent another one of those guys that has nothing to add, you just like to complain about everything. Or was this just another attempt in your campaign against the BD30 :rolleyes:
Is stating the following a lie??? "The BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Also no Ethernet jack for firmware upgrades or future interactive content." That alone is more then enough for anyone to stay away if they want to enjoy a complete hi-def experience.

I noticed you said your BD30 was fine for upconvert. Well let me state as loudly as possible that my HD-A3 does a great great job at upconvert. Not just fine. My point exactly.

As it appears that the poster was leaning towards BD I can't presently recommend a player. When a BD player is released that offers everything that at the very least the HD-A3 offers I may be able to recommend a player. Oh and all that being said if its $500 it won't get my recommendation.

Don't confuse complaining with stating facts.

No it does not internally decode those formats! It can only pass them. If your reciever can't handle it then your crap out of luck, and only a handfull of top of the line recievers can decode those audio formats. So.....

Panasonic DMP-BD30K Video Player and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews
"The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. This lack of internal decoding is particularly disappointing because the older DMP-BD10A itself offered internal decoding for all of these formats except DTS-HS Master Audio. Any DMP-BD30 owner whose AV receiver lacks built-in decoding for the new audio formats won't be able to enjoy the high-resolution soundtracks"

No it doesn't. It will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master only to a capable receiver for decoding.

I agree with Elway. Saying to stay from the BD30 and it is crappy at upconverting is wrong, especially when you do not own the player. I see no difference in upconversion between my A1/A35 and the BD30 and not enough of a difference in my XA2 and I have some pretty good gear.

Now back to the OP. Yes, the BD30 might not be the best choice for you if you do not have the equipment to take advantage of the offerings of the Panasonic. Yes, any BD player will output component to your TV and it will look very good with HD material. No, players will not upconvert SD DVDs over component unless the material is not flagged. There used to be a player that would strip the flags, but it was taken off the market and copy protection has been upgraded since then (but yes, everyone looks for ways to circumvent them and they do).

Not knowing what type of audio gear you have makes it difficult to recommend a player for you. Also, the Samsung does not handle DTS Master internally, it will bitstream, though. You might wait for the Panasonic BD50. It will do everything.

S~

Last edited:
No it doesn't. It will bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master only to a capable receiver for decoding.

I agree with Elway. Saying to stay from the BD30 and it is crappy at upconverting is wrong, especially when you do not own the player. I see no difference in upconversion between my A1/A35 and the BD30 and not enough of a difference in my XA2 and I have some pretty good gear.

Now back to the OP. Yes, the BD30 might not be the best choice for you if you do not have the equipment to take advantage of the offerings of the Panasonic. Yes, any BD player will output component to your TV and it will look very good with HD material. No, players will not upconvert SD DVDs over component unless the material is not flagged. There used to be a player that would strip the flags, but it was taken off the market and copy protection has been upgraded since then (but yes, everyone looks for ways to circumvent them and they do).

Not knowing what type of audio gear you have makes it difficult to recommend a player for you. Also, the Samsung does not handle DTS Master internally, it will bitstream, though. You might wait for the Panasonic BD50. It will do everything.

S~
I didn't say stay from the BD30 because of the upconverting, each time I warn people to stay away from the BD30 I always START with its short comings as far as internally decoding hi def audio, then I add on about up converting. I just find it mind blowing that a $500 player could leave that out. The lack of support for hi def audio is the most important point I make considering thats what people buy it for. No matter how good or bad the upconvert is and no matter how good or bad the PQ is the fact that it can't decode hi def audio is more then enough of a reason for me to advise newcomers to this forum to STAY AWAY FROM THE BD30.

If the BD30 MSRP is $500 how much do you think the BD50 will cost. With that in mind can you seriously recommend it to the OP.

Just get a HD A3, it's a great up-converter and you can still buy HD DVD movies now and in the future and if you really want Blu-ray, buy a PS3 as it is and will be profile up-gradable unlike the other SAP's.

One final comment, my issue is exactly what teachsac said. Numerous times you've taken it upon yourself to make PQ comments you are not qualified to make. Yeah, you read some threads on another forum.

You own the A3, well touch you.

Ive owned the PS3, A2 and now the BD30. The A2 and BD30 are neck and neck for upconversion, both are sharp. The PS3 is softer.

The OP should research the hardware specs ,as I did, of ANY player and decide if its right for him. As far as BD and DVD playback PQ, the BD30 is fine, oh I mean "great".

I didn't say stay from the BD30 because of the upconverting, each time I warn people to stay away from the BD30 I always START with its short comings as far as internally decoding hi def audio, then I add on about up converting. I just find it mind blowing that a $500 player could leave that out. The lack of support for hi def audio is the most important point I make considering thats what people buy it for. No matter how good or bad the upconvert is and no matter how good or bad the PQ is the fact that it can't decode hi def audio is more then enough of a reason for me to advise newcomers to this forum to STAY AWAY FROM THE BD30.

If the BD30 MSRP is $500 how much do you think the BD50 will cost. With that in mind can you seriously recommend it to the OP.

If you have the equipment to decode the HD audio formats, what difference does it make whether it internally decodes HD audio or not? I would actually say more people buy a player for video than audio. Audio is just an added perk. There are a lot of users in both formats that simply use the optical for audio. Besides, there is no player on the market right now, in either format, that will decode DTS master internally.

The thing is you go around slamming a player without having one and make no recommendation to the OP. I respond to the BluBoys the same way when they do it to HD DVD.

The upcoming BD50 will be the first player coming out in either format that will be able to do absolutely everything that we come to expect in an HD player: Internal decoding/bitstreaming, internet interactivity, 1080p/24, upconversion, etc.

S~

One final comment, my issue is exactly what teachsac said. Numerous times you've taken it upon yourself to make PQ comments you are not qualified to make. Yeah, you read some threads on another forum.

You own the A3, well touch you.

Ive owned the PS3, A2 and now the BD30. The A2 and BD30 are neck and neck for upconversion, both are sharp. The PS3 is softer.

The OP should research the hardware specs ,as I did, of ANY player and decide if its right for him. As far as BD and DVD playback PQ, the BD30 is fine, oh I mean "great".
If I'm guilty of basing my comments about upconvert based on other forums, reviews, and consumer comments then so be it. We've all done that. You keep coming back to my comments about upconvert in each of your rebuttals but never address the MAIN point I've been making all along. Its inabliilty to internally decode hi-def audio. You previously in this thread said that the BD30 was a fine player. Well for reasons OTHER THEN UPCONVERT, I can't understand why you would relay this to the OP.

BD is your choice, and the BD30 is your baby, is it possible that your only going to see in the light that you want to see it? Ex. upconvert. Its human nature.

If you have the equipment to decode the HD audio formats, what difference does it make whether it internally decodes HD audio or not? I would actually say more people buy a player for video than audio. Audio is just an added perk. There are a lot of users in both formats that simply use the optical for audio. Besides, there is no player on the market right now, in either format, that will decode DTS master internally.

That’s a big if. Only a few receivers out there decode all those formats and for what price???? Are you suggesting that its OK to simply have regular DD or DTS. I hope not. I personally thank audio is a huge part of the hi def experience and many others do to. Lets not diminish that to cover the short comings for the BD30.

The thing is you go around slamming a player without having one and make no recommendation to the OP. I respond to the BluBoys the same way when they do it to HD DVD.

As is recall clearly the original Sammy BD player was horrible at PQ. This was widely known and stated by many, all of whom I’m sure didn’t own it. So lets not act as if we here in this forum don’t make statements based on reviews, insiders, and consumer comments.

The upcoming BD50 will be the first player coming out in either format that will be able to do absolutely everything that we come to expect in an HD player: Internal decoding/bitstreaming, internet interactivity, 1080p/24, upconversion, etc.

On paper that sounds like a step in the right direction but at what price. If the BD30 is $500 MSRP, then I’m scared to imagine what the BD50 will drain the consumers for. With that being the case its definitely not “absolutely everything that we come to expect in an HD player”.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts