HD DVD Standalone Player Sales Nearing 500,000

wow... and here i was believing the hype that HD was starting to make the final push to win the war.

It seems to be near impossible for HD-DVD to catch Blu-ray over the next year, with the continuing price drops of players on both sides and the bonus of the PS3 sales, of course nothing was mentioned of the HD-DVD add-ons for teh 360 being part of that # either... so it may be closer than those numbers.

It seems to be near impossible for HD-DVD to catch Blu-ray over the next year,
It would be difficult, but the adoption rate is much higher with HD DVD. Blue-Ray has 5 times the players but only about twice the software sales. If HD DVD has a good 4th quarter software sales might start to get even.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the year, Toshiba was projecting 1.8 million players. Now they're not even on track for the dramatically lowered projections.

Likewise.
At the beginning of the year Sony was projecting 10 million PS3.
GotFrag DPAD - Sony Playstation 3 News Story - Sony fiscal year reports PS3 disappointments
Sony maintains that the sales for the PS3 in March will reach 6 million units despite the problems and delays that have plagued the system since its launch. Noruma disagrees, however, adjusting its overall sales figures for 2007, dropping projections from 16 million to 10 million units.
Just as you said
...You can twist every bit of minutia both ways...
(although I have no clue what minutia means).

Diogen.

Only about 4.49 million more to go.
Something like that, if we don't pay attention to the differences between shipped and sold.
As it says in the quote above "sales for the PS3 in March will reach 6 million", i.e. now, 8 months later
and 3 days before PS3 first anniversary, Sony hasn't sold as many PS3s as they were planning to do in 4 months...:)

Diogen.

Both sides are missing expectations. CEM's can't make as much money due to low demand and a weak US dollar.

If the US economy slips, Sony will really be screwed. Let's not forget that Toshiba wins if SD DVD continues to prosper as they get royalties from that, too.

Wal-Mart proved (as they did with SD DVD) the player prices are too damned high. Most Americans will not spend $500 on a buggy, slow (planned to be) obsolete standalone. Most people aren't going to buy a gaming console to play movies.

Something like that, if we don't pay attention to the differences between shipped and sold.
As it says in the quote above "sales for the PS3 in March will reach 6 million", i.e. now, 8 months later
and 3 days before PS3 first anniversary, Sony hasn't sold as many PS3s as they were planning to do in 4 months...:)

Diogen.

Estimates for the PS3 sold Worldwide are about 5.51 million w/ about 2.1 sold in the US.

S~

It would be difficult, but the adoption rate is much higher with HD DVD. Blue-Ray has 5 times the players but only about twice the software sales. If HD DVD has a good 4th quarter software sales might start to get even.

Are we now saying that every PS3 is being used as a BluRay player? How about we use 50% as a rule and relook at those attachment rates for BD. You really cannot have it both ways, either we say all of the PS3s are being used for BDs or less then half. I am more inclined to believe less then half. Somebody here run some actual numbers for North America and see what comes up?

I wonder if less people care about blu-ray that own a ps3 are due to the fact they don't own a high def tv?

where as everyone who's gotten an hd-dvd system actually has one?

just a thought.

Are we now saying that every PS3 is being used as a BluRay player? How about we use 50% as a rule and relook at those attachment rates for BD. You really cannot have it both ways, either we say all of the PS3s are being used for BDs or less then half. I am more inclined to believe less then half. Somebody here run some actual numbers for North America and see what comes up?
Here's how I came up with my math.

Blu-ray players at least 2.3 mil -
HD DVD players 500,000 -

About 5 times more Blu-ray players, right?

Year to date software indicates that Blu has sold about twice as much. Blu-ray Disc Sales Lead HD DVD by Nearly 2:1 YTD; Q4 Crucial For HD DVD | High-Def Digest

Looks like 1 disc per player average for Blu and 3 discs per player average for HD DVD

5 times the players but only twice the software sales.

Sure seems like more sales per player for HD DVD to me.

I don't understand why this is such a confusing concept?

The HD-DVD owned movie #'s would be higher, due to the fact it is the enthusiasts choice. No argument there I hope.

I have a PS3, and I have rented many Blu-Ray titles but havnt bought any yet. I will get an HD-DVD soon as well, but really I dont know how many titles I will by there either, the pricepoints for the movies are still to high for me.

I also only have only about 40 DVDs in my collection with the majority being Disney or Sci-fi/Fantasy "classics" (Star Wars, Lord or the Rings, etc), so i think I may be a better example of Joe 6P than a true enthusiast, I am in the 2nd wave of adopters for most things (got into DVD with my PS2, got an HDTV 3 years ago when the rear projections hit $1000), once i adopt certain technologies, my friends and family seem to follow within a year or less...

I wonder if less people care about blu-ray that own a ps3 are due to the fact they don't own a high def tv?

where as everyone who's gotten an hd-dvd system actually has one?

just a thought.

Really? I guess I'm the only PS3 owner that owns a HDTV out of the thousands of PS3 owners in the USA. I am not a gamer either:rolleyes:
And to claim every HDDVD owner has a HDTV?:eek: That is quite a thought, but I wonder if it's true?
By the way, what model HDTV do you own?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)