HD DVD Player Sales Top 750,000

Never has included the add on for the xbox 360.

least from what I have read.

Umm... IT'S THE FIRST LINE OF THE STORY!

"A combined total of over 750,000 standalone set-top players and Xbox 360 HD DVD players have now been sold through to consumers."

Umm... IT'S THE FIRST LINE OF THE STORY!

"A combined total of over 750,000 standalone set-top players and Xbox 360 HD DVD players have now been sold through to consumers."

Fair enough and my bad.

Still though 60% of PS3 owners do not use it for movies. So we got to kinda work the math for it.

*shrug*

750,000 in the US not worldwide, like 1.5 million PS3 in the US.

And if we go by previous post estimates (including numbers from maxconsole.net) that say only 60% of PS3 users play Blue ray disks in their machines.

That = 900k

Pretty close numbers there if you ask MHO

And if we go by previous post estimates (including numbers from maxconsole.net) that say only 60% of PS3 users play Blue ray disks in their machines.

That = 900k

Aye, but that's about as reliable as the 33% Xbox replacement figures. This is just an arguing grey area, people just bend it to boast their point (see this thread for examples.... from 2.5m-900k).

The PS3 can play Blu-Ray discs, it should probably be counted as a player, period, making the 2:1 disc sales ratio kind of sad given the BD lead in players.

750k units have sold that are for playing HDDVDs and nothing else. That's an accomplishment. Saying the 360 addon should be excluded is either ignorant or moronic, take your pick.

Aye, but that's about as reliable as the 33% Xbox replacement figures. This is just an arguing grey area, people just bend it to boast their point (see this thread for examples.... from 2.5m-900k).

The PS3 can play Blu-Ray discs, it should probably be counted as a player, period, making the 2:1 disc sales ratio kind of sad given the BD lead in players.

750k units have sold that are for playing HDDVDs and nothing else. That's an accomplishment. Saying the 360 addon should be excluded is either ignorant or moronic, take your pick.

Wasn't saying it should be excluded only that in several other postings it was.

*shrug*

and 33% sounds about right on the 360 failures. I have 3 xbox 360s and 1 of them went RRoD last august (MS replaced it though)

*shrug*

Again stats major will tell you. It all depends on the sample size and how honest the data is.

That = 900k

Good point, Elstevo. You can't have it both ways. Either there are 900k BD players vs 750k HD, which would make the 2:1 disc ratio fantastic, or it's 2.5M vs 750k which makes it look like crap. It all depends on what you're trying to prove.

I tend to agree that it should be counted, and that Sony should be doing more to promot it as a BD player (including Spider-Man in the box is a good first step), but the sad fact is that most people are probably not hooking up their PS3's to HDTV's - the ones that are probably make up most of that 40% that is using it for movies.

That is a good point, but I'd assume both camps count box sets as one unit since it's one sku sold.

But yes, it is a numbers game.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but Bloomberg put out a report yesterday on last week's PS3 sales. No exact figures yet, but 245% increase. Should we count these?

Bloomberg.com: Japan

Definatly, but then divide it by .40 for the number of people who will use it as a movie player.

I guess I am starting to move to the let's just release everything on both formats and let the consumer choose camp.

Definatly, but then divide it by .40 for the number of people who will use it as a movie player.

I guess I am starting to move to the let's just release everything on both formats and let the consumer choose camp.
where did they survey to get the 40% number?
100% of people on my road use the PS3 for a blu-ray player, since im the only one:)
So yes numbers can be skewed!

(100% also use the 360 add on as a HD-DVD player on my road)

Amen, I'm tired of the threads of just twisting and interpreting. It's like the $150m Paramount stuff, and the Transformers sales figures. Interpreted and extrapolated numbers gave us data to debate each other over... I'm sick of both sides and want just a reliable format at this rate.

That and Sony just bothers me for it's strategies and loudmouth execs who should never be allowed to be interviewed by anyone ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts