Latest Price Increase - $5

Old news here... I see that you are a new member.

Actually I have been lurking for quite a while but just finally joined :clapping
Usually I see price increases listed here way ahead of time but I must have missed this one. I know they come around this time of year but I was hoping Dish would give us a year off ..

Welcome to Satguys!

Thanks! Glad to be here!

Reactions: dare2be
Dish always prices competitively with DirecTV. They will closely copy whatever DTV does. Dtv went up about the same this year.
Yep, driven by the content owners.

"Hey, DTV gave us this amount of increase, so we expect at least as much from you."
"Dish had a long dispute with us last time and still paid this much, you don't want to have the same thing happen to you, do you? Just pay us what Dish agreed to."

Etc.

With all the disputes and dropped channels because of contract disputes, you would think Dish would be much cheaper than DTV, since DTV has far fewer disputes. Yet every time DTV raises prices, Dish raises them about the same. So, what are we getting for all of the Dish disputes? Answer: NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

When a dispute happens, IF there is an agreement for a lower price than what is asked for, then other providers could benefit as well come renewal time. It goes both ways. But make no mistake, the upward pressure comes from the channels owners and the prices continue to rise many times the rate of inflation.

With all the disputes and dropped channels because of contract disputes, you would think Dish would be much cheaper than DTV, since DTV has far fewer disputes. Yet every time DTV raises prices, Dish raises them about the same. So, what are we getting for all of the Dish disputes? Answer: NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
When I looked (a couple weeks ago), Direct's introductory price was ~$10 less/month than what I'm paying Dish. Once that price ran out (in a year), the price was ~$20 more/month. I would consider that "much cheaper".

Can we just abolish the NAB? Can we mandate that localchannels must be local(meaning their parent company is local) and go back to only being allowed to own so many channels? Why does the FCC protect the locals so much, when little of that money stays in state?

Also, whether it is in Dish or any provider favor or not, can someone explain to me how the current regulations are in the best interest of the consumer, who the FCC is supposed to be protecting.

Looks like the new prices have taken effect today, along with changes to the "My Programming" section of the website. They now break out the charges AND include the credits on that screen. It is now more detailed and structured.

Looks like the new prices have taken effect today, along with changes to the "My Programming" section of the website. They now break out the charges AND include the credits on that screen. It is now more detailed and structured.
Agree looks much better.

Can't uncheck that locals button though.

Congress messed it up, and only they can fix it......and they could care less!

Can we just abolish the NAB? Can we mandate that localchannels must be local(meaning their parent company is local) and go back to only being allowed to own so many channels? Why does the FCC protect the locals so much, when little of that money stays in state?
On what grounds would you abolish the NAB?
Can we mandate that local gas stations must be local (meaning their parent company is local)? What about retail establishments?
I agree owners should only be allowed to own a single channel in a market, and not more than x% across the country.

Difference with gas stations is that it's impossible to say "only this gas station is allowed in this market". There are plenty of locally owned, highly successful gas stations throughout the country.

I also notice that if I attempt to switch out of the Flex Pack to a different Pack, the eAutoPay discount disappears. So does that mean that the eAutoPay discount only applies to the package that you had when you started the discount?

Reactions: pattykay
Difference with gas stations is that it's impossible to say "only this gas station is allowed in this market". There are plenty of locally owned, highly successful gas stations throughout the country.
No, but Shell (for example) could say "We're only going to allow this station to sell our gas." Or are you against businesses being allowed to make exclusive deals with other businesses? THAT'S what's happening. Locals make exclusive deals with program providers that they will be the only ones in a broadcast market to show that programming. That applies to network as well as syndicated shows.

No, but Shell (for example) could say "We're only going to allow this station to sell our gas." Or are you against businesses being allowed to make exclusive deals with other businesses? THAT'S what's happening. Locals make exclusive deals with program providers that they will be the only ones in a broadcast market to show that programming. That applies to network as well as syndicated shows.
I'm not against businesses doing that, but to have the government assist in making the destructive oligopoly. That I do have an issue with.

I'm not against businesses doing that, but to have the government assist in making the destructive oligopoly. That I do have an issue with.
But isn't that what locals (businesses) are doing? I could be wrong, but as long as a frequency was available, can't you start up a television station? Or is the government preventing that (again, assuming frequencies are available)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts