Latest Price Increase - $5

Dish has a new business model: more profits from fewer customers. It seems to work in the short term but is not sustainable. When DirecTV Now finally goes out of Beta Testing and has a reliable DVR, I will be gone from Dish.

Sling TV is too limited in their channels, I can't say I will be interested in them unless they really up their game.

Reactions: sremick
Ironically I had very few issues on Chromecast other than no DVR before I dropped it last month.

Agree looks much better.

Can't uncheck that locals button though.
I no longer even see the locals button.

Looks like the new prices have taken effect today, along with changes to the "My Programming" section of the website. They now break out the charges AND include the credits on that screen. It is now more detailed and structured.
I have been asking for them to include credits in that section for awhile. It is nice to see them implement that. One slight quibble that I have is that the Monthly Total used to be in bold at the bottom of that section, and now it is in the middle of that section in plain text, so there is nothing to make the total stand out. Other than that, Dish did a good job with the re-design. :thumbup

I'm ready to CUT the cord. I have my PC directly connected to my home theater system. AT&T gives me 1terabyte a month. I'm good to go.:clapping

Currently, they now list them separately so customers can see what locals are charging. According to Scott, in the future they plan on being able to remove them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Currently, they now list them separately so customers can see what locals are charging. According to Scott, in the future they plan on being able to remove them.
Key words here are "being able", not that they necessarily will be removed.

I got my bill couple days ago and the locals are listed separately. Also International Basic went up from $10 to $15.

With all due respect, the $10 a month does NOT show what the locals are charging. That may be what Dish wants customers to believe, but I doubt it's the case. If you want to believe the locals in every market (and it's been proven on here that some markets have a dozen or more locals) charge exactly $10, I have a bridge to sell you.

With all due respect, the locals are billed, nationwide, at a $10 rate today. That may very well change in the future, even the near future. You also have to take into account that Dish needs to make a little profit off of the channel availability. They can't place them on the satellite for free so it is necessary to add some overhead.

. You also have to take into account that Dish needs to make a little profit off of the channel availability. They can't place them on the satellite for free so it is necessary to add some overhead.

You are the first poster I've seen that actually thought rational on this.

Agree 100%.

But that also raises the question.
Exactly how far out of control are the locals "Really" getting?

I'm going say to not very out of control at all compared to what Charlie is actually crying wolf about.
$10 is a low Number IMO

I mean seriously you get a Locals only package with cable, and you are $30 a month now.

I definitely think the Locals are worth every penny of that $10 to have them delivered via Satellite.

Maybe one also needs to ask about the PTA fees in that $10 that customers also have no control over .

You ever notice, they never say a $ amount, Its always a % when a network wants an increase?

For all we know the NY market may only cost Dish $3???
Does anyone know or have a document?

You are the first poster I've seen that actually thought rational on this.

Agree 100%.

But that also raises the question.
Exactly how far out of control are the locals "Really" getting?

I'm going say to not very out of control at all compared to what Charlie is actually crying wolf about.
$10 is a low Number IMO

I mean seriously you get a Locals only package with cable, and you are $30 a month now.

I definitely think the Locals are worth every penny of that $10 to have them delivered via Satellite.

Maybe one also needs to ask about the PTA fees in that $10 that customers also have no control over .
What are PTA fees and do they have to do with school?:D

Reactions: pattykay
You also have to take into account that Dish needs to make a little profit off of the channel availability. They can't place them on the satellite for free so it is necessary to add some overhead.
Of course. Dish's average profit margin is below 10%, so there will be markets that cost more than $10, and markets that cost less than $10, but on average, the overall locals costs (plus other overhead) is probably around $9, with a $1 Dish profit.

With all due respect, the locals are billed, nationwide, at a $10 rate today. That may very well change in the future, even the near future. You also have to take into account that Dish needs to make a little profit off of the channel availability. They can't place them on the satellite for free so it is necessary to add some overhead.
Just because that's what they're being billed to subscribers doesn't mean that's what Dish is paying for them is my point. Even using dare2be's $1 profit, let's say it costs Dish $9. How much of that is retrans fees and how much is overhead? Rental space, fiber lines, electricity, equipment, etc all add up. ChadT41 says (according to Scott) Dish wants to show what locals are charging. As I said, if you actually believe that's what locals are charging, I have a bridge to sell you.

Of course. Dish's average profit margin is below 10%, so there will be markets that cost more than $10, and markets that cost less than $10, but on average, the overall locals costs (plus other overhead) is probably around $9, with a $1 Dish profit.

In another thread I posted links that suggest they are likely at least at $8+ approaching the $9 you posted. Further, DISH is not the only one showing a charge of maybe a little less to about $10 so it isn't out of the question all things considered that is what it cost is with perhaps a little profit included. Charter last was at $8.75 for some markets, $9.00 for others, Xfinity that I can find is at $7.50 but that isn't this year. (I see many of them are charging an RSN fee also now - Fios is at $9.00) I can't find a break down for Directv they may not charge a separate fee. Note that Their package prices even with the DISH fee adding $5 (after -5 for the package) are higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)