Lawsuit?

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
So I have no clue why I received this info today but apparently there's a class action lawsuit involving dish. www.ernstsettlement.com is the website it told me to visit for questions. I'd rather come here so my question is, what exactly is this!? Has anybody else received this? I don't work for dish and from I read it deals with techs? I just did a quick google search for it is all. Anybody get this as well or is it a scam or what? I'm not signing my name to it either way, just curious

All I know is that the only people that get anything from a Class Action lawsuit is the winning side's lawyers. The actual people who sue get a small dollar amount when it is spread out over a large group. I got like $5.00 from some class action lawsuit filed years ago and I couldn't even remember what company it was, but the dollar amount I won sticks out in my mind ,because I laugh every time I think about how small it was.

Looks like it is specifically for those that had a tech that had a bad background check for Sterling Inc which is a 3rd party. Also, for contractors hired by Sterling.

Good enough answers for me. I didn't plan on jumping on board. Don't understand how I even got included considering I haven't had dish

My dad, who was a coal miner, was in a class action against some company that produced a product called rock lock, that they used in underground mining to keep rocks in place and from cracking and falling.
Anyway, to make a long story short, there were about 1,500 litigants, they got a $58,000,000 settlement, each one ended up getting about $6,000-$8,000 a piece. I think probably some where around $15-$20 million went to the plaintiffs, and the lawyers ended up with the rest.
Point being, the lawyers ended up with perhaps $38,000,000 or more, the miners that were affected by the product (potential breathing problems from using the product) got practically nothing after the "fees" and "expenses" incurred by the attorneys.

My dad, who was a coal miner, was in a class action against some company that produced a product called rock lock, that they used in underground mining to keep rocks in place and from cracking and falling.
Anyway, to make a long story short, there were about 1,500 litigants, they got a $58,000,000 settlement, each one ended up getting about $6,000-$8,000 a piece. I think probably some where around $15-$20 million went to the plaintiffs, and the lawyers ended up with the rest.
Point being, the lawyers ended up with perhaps $38,000,000 or more, the miners that were affected by the product (potential breathing problems from using the product) got practically nothing after the "fees" and "expenses" incurred by the attorneys.
The primary point of class action suits it to STOP the damaging actions of the defendant. The $$ is all for the lawyers, but the result is PRO consumer.

Consider the infamous case of the Hertz rental car company class action: The rental company had been charging an additional "Fee" of about (I can't remember the exact amount, but it was very small) $3.50 for each rental that was not on the original paperwork, but did show up on the credit card statement. Most consumers just accepted the fee thinking it was some legitimate fee that was "probably" disclosed, but they did not remember, after all, it was only a louse $3.50, so the charge would not be contested. Now, calculate the $3.50 per the millions upon millions of rentals Hertz made in just one year. You get a really fat goose laying grade AAA golden eggs.

If a consumer finds this bogus charge and decides they want their money back (credit on the CC?), at the end of the process Hertz never refunded the fee and pretty much seemed to say "too bad." Now, if you want to seek justice and get the money back, it would cost you far, far, far more in money, either personally or in legal fees to see to it that Hertz does the right thing and returns your money or stops the practice. The government far too often does NOTHING! This is exactly how a company can set up a charge so that it makes no economic sense to get back your "stolen" money by taking the only course of action left to the consumer: legal action. The only economical way for people to either get some form of restitution (maybe 5 cents in cash) AND force Hertz to STOP this dishonest, immoral charge is if they have a multi-million dollar judgement or settlement that costs a company like Hertz way too much money. At the end, class action is hardly perfect, and they lawyers all walk away with most of the money, but it does STOP companies from continuing to cheat people out of a few dollars multiplied by millions. Otherwise, Hertz would still be charging everyone, including those who did not know it was a bogus charge, who rented from Hertz. Class Action is like grades: it aint perfect, but it's all we got, and we are better off WITH it than without it. Keep in mind there are those who want to get rid of Class Action suits altogether, and that is NOT good. Class Action does not make the consumer rich, but it does bring at least a form of justice and forces companies to cease immoral, illegal activities that cost consumers money.

Reactions: AZ.
So I have no clue why I received this info today but apparently there's a class action lawsuit involving dish. www.ernstsettlement.com is the website it told me to visit for questions. I'd rather come here so my question is, what exactly is this!? Has anybody else received this? I don't work for dish and from I read it deals with techs? I just did a quick google search for it is all. Anybody get this as well or is it a scam or what? I'm not signing my name to it either way, just curious
Be wary of this..My suspicious nature tells me this may be a scam....Do your research before clicking on the link...

The primary point of class action suits it to STOP the damaging actions of the defendant. The $$ is all for the lawyers, but the result is PRO consumer.

Consider the infamous case of the Hertz rental car company class action: The rental company had been charging an additional "Fee" of about (I can't remember the exact amount, but it was very small) $3.50 for each rental that was not on the original paperwork, but did show up on the credit card statement. Most consumers just accepted the fee thinking it was some legitimate fee that was "probably" disclosed, but they did not remember, after all, it was only a louse $3.50, so the charge would not be contested. Now, calculate the $3.50 per the millions upon millions of rentals Hertz made in just one year. You get a really fat goose laying grade AAA golden eggs.

If a consumer finds this bogus charge and decides they want their money back (credit on the CC?), at the end of the process Hertz never refunded the fee and pretty much seemed to say "too bad." Now, if you want to seek justice and get the money back, it would cost you far, far, far more in money, either personally or in legal fees to see to it that Hertz does the right thing and returns your money or stops the practice. The government far too often does NOTHING! This is exactly how a company can set up a charge so that it makes no economic sense to get back your "stolen" money by taking the only course of action left to the consumer: legal action. The only economical way for people to either get some form of restitution (maybe 5 cents in cash) AND force Hertz to STOP this dishonest, immoral charge is if they have a multi-million dollar judgement or settlement that costs a company like Hertz way too much money. At the end, class action is hardly perfect, and they lawyers all walk away with most of the money, but it does STOP companies from continuing to cheat people out of a few dollars multiplied by millions. Otherwise, Hertz would still be charging everyone, including those who did not know it was a bogus charge, who rented from Hertz. Class Action is like grades: it aint perfect, but it's all we got, and we are better off WITH it than without it. Keep in mind there are those who want to get rid of Class Action suits altogether, and that is NOT good. Class Action does not make the consumer rich, but it does bring at least a form of justice and forces companies to cease immoral, illegal activities that cost consumers money.
With all due respect, there is a little bit of difference in a Hertz rent a car overcharge and coal miners being made by their employer to use a potentially harmful substance in an underground mine with limited ventilation, that could have potentially caused breathing problems.
An apples to oranges comparison.

Be wary of this..My suspicious nature tells me this may be a scam....Do your research before clicking on the link...

The site and the lawsuit are legitimate. If you did not receive the snail mailed information regarding claims, you need not take any action.

There's nothing to be wary about. It's legit. I wouldn't post something if I questioned it doing wrong doing it harm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)