Layer3 TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Right it's Iptv not OTT, so it shouldn't be using much data
Wrong.

Layer 3 for those who aren't fiber provisioned by Layer 3 is absolutely OTT of whatever broadband Internet you happen to have. Layer 3's fiber footprint is fairly small but they serve many more areas than their fiber covers via OTT.

In the TS's case, they are in a Layer 3 city but not served by Layer 3 fiber so everything comes over their Comcast broadband connection as data.

In answer to Mike1096 and navychop -- I tried Layer 3.

Last August I took advantage of Layer 3's 30 day free trial. During that time I was able to compare Layer 3 performance with Dish Hopper 3 in side-by-side testing. After two weeks using the Layer 3 DVR, both my wife and I agree that although picture quality was not an issue, the Layer 3 software was too feature poor and buggy to be acceptable. I returned the Layer 3 DVR and continued with Dish. If you want to see my full report, search with key words Layer 3 and jackdemcak.

Every few months or so I visit the Layer 3 web site and chat with a one of their tech support people. So far, they have not fixed the 5 deal breaking issues I reported to them. These are:

Provide 30 second forward and 10 seconds back jumps just like the Hopper 3.

Allow at least 4 favorite channel displays like the Hopper 3.

Automatically select 4K format for recording if any channel provides it.

Add BEIN to their list of supported channels.

Display a "recording in progress" indicator on their DVR.

If Layer 3 fixed these problems and cleaned up some performance bugs I found, I would drop Dish and save about $40/month.

Reactions: navychop