LCD OR DLP?

I assume you mean the 52XV540U. It does, of course, have a backlight bulb. But yes, it will likely outlast the bulb in projectors many times over. But it will eventually fail, or dim enough to be of limited use. Not really a big concern, so I agree "there is no bulb issue" but wanted to clarify that this LCD, and almost all LCDs, do have "bulbs" or "tubes" to backlight them. LCDs shutter light, they do not generate light like PDPs or OLEDs do.

If you can stomach the big footprint of the DLP (they are pretty deep, usually over a 1ft) and the DLP is a LED DLP then I say save $500 and get the DLP. If size is an issue then go for LCD. .. I currently have a RP-CRT monstrosity so im going for LCD .. after having a 3ft deep set for 5 years, I dont think ill be able to find a HDTV thin enough!

I've been on watching the myhdtvdeals.com trying to find a nice 52" 1080p @ 120Hz I can afford.. I think I have my heart set on the Toshiba 52XF550U .. I was going for the Samsung LN52A750 but i detest that stupid red Touch of Color bezel.

Since I can't get an LCD in the size I want, at a reasonable price, I'll be getting an LED DLP (hopefully before Christmas). I want a minimum of 60". May go for the 67". Samsung sells a 70" LCD through Best Buy (Magnolia), but it costs $40,000. No way I can pay that for a tv, unless I win the lottery. :)

I was also wanting LCoS, but as said earlier, they're basically gone. I think JVC and Sony were pretty stupid for dropping them, and going with flat panel tvs only. Not everyone wants flat panels.

LCoS/SRDX are just front projection now. Both JVC and Sony are selling FPs with that technology. JVC has a projector with 30k:1 contrast without using an iris using D-ILA. But, they are pretty expensive, in the 3-8k range for the projectors. Of course next week they are both rumored to be releasing cheaper models for next year at CEIDA.

The problem is they did not want to get into the 1k price points, they like the more expensive ones, so they dropped rear projection when it went too low and stayed in the still lucrative FP market.

Since I can't get an LCD in the size I want, at a reasonable price, I'll be getting an LED DLP (hopefully before Christmas). I want a minimum of 60". May go for the 67". Samsung sells a 70" LCD through Best Buy (Magnolia), but it costs $40,000. No way I can pay that for a tv, unless I win the lottery. :)

I was also wanting LCoS, but as said earlier, they're basically gone. I think JVC and Sony were pretty stupid for dropping them, and going with flat panel tvs only. Not everyone wants flat panels.

Look into award winning, quality FPTVs - you will be able o get 70" - 100"+ for around $2500

Half life on most plasma and LCd sets is 60000 hrs, thats 8 hours a day for 20 years.
Where are all the 20 year old plasma sets to prove this? To me Plasma's make things look kinda cartoonish.

My opin to the OP is that if I had to select one out of the best of each DLP, Plasma, LCD I'd take the DLP. Colors and size do it for me. I will say my recently purchased Sharp LC-32SB24U for the bedroom has the blackest blacks I've ever seem-perfect. But my 2.5 year old RCA 1080i DLP has a better picture. I'm happy with both.

Where are all the 20 year old plasma sets to prove this? To me Plasma's make things look kinda cartoonish.

My opin to the OP is that if I had to select one out of the best of each DLP, Plasma, LCD I'd take the DLP. Colors and size do it for me. I will say my recently purchased Sharp LC-32SB24U for the bedroom has the blackest blacks I've ever seem-perfect. But my 2.5 year old RCA 1080i DLP has a better picture. I'm happy with both.

Yes folks, its time for the new Jihad. Lock and load your remotes and prepare to slaughter the infidel. The proponents of the other format cannot be allowed to survive and all traces of their evil position MUST be wiped from the face of the earth!

Oh, yeah. - :)

I went into BB over my lunch hour today. All rear projectors had been moved out of the home theater area and into the clearance racks. They mostly had yellow tags. Might be some deals there, but look quickly. The Mitsu LED DLP had already disappeared when I was there.

My BB seems to be slightly ahead of other stores in closing out stuff. We were about a week ahead of most in dumping HD-DVD.

A BB I go to here (Austin) still has a number of rear projection sets up and running as of last Monday (8/25). They also still had them in their weekly ad this weekend.

I recently replaced a Sony LCD RP (KDF46E200) with a Mits DLP RP (WD-73735). I liked the Sony, just wanted the bigger screen (46" to 73"). The only thing I noticed with the Sony was a slight "screen door" effect, don't see that or the rainbow effect on the Mits. I checked the cost to replace the lamp on the Mits at their parts site and they say it's $99, the Sony was $199 when I checked.

What is the largest DLP LED powered television that you can get at an affordable price? I seen a 71" for around $2,200 not long ago then the ads said that they were not LED powered, but the 67" was for around $1,700. I want something that has a longer bulb life than 8,000 hours but something around the 50,000 hour range. Also do those require color wheels? I do not want to have to replace those either. I want a television that will remain maintenance free for 5-10 years like the SD tube televisions were. I figure if I can get about 10 years use out of a television at around 15 hours a day then I will have gotten my money's worth out of it and something new and much more amazing will be out by then and prices will have gone way down as well even less than 10 years.

I believe all the LED DLPs for sale today do not require color wheels. But so far, their overall PQ is not as good as expected. It's a technology still early in it's development phase, I guess. Not bad, mind you, but I keep reading where it has not yet lived up to expectations.

I doubt that any regular reader in these forums will have the same primary TV in 10 years that they do today. Just too many advancements coming. I expect after OLED hits the market in large sizes, things will settle down. Maybe MEMs will be out then too.

I believe all the LED DLPs for sale today do not require color wheels. But so far, their overall PQ is not as good as expected.

I agree with this. When I went shopping there was a Mits DLP with a bulb and a Samsung DLP with LED lighting and the Mits just looked better, plus it was cheaper.

What is the largest DLP LED powered television that you can get at an affordable price? I seen a 71" for around $2,200 not long ago then the ads said that they were not LED powered, but the 67" was for around $1,700. I want something that has a longer bulb life than 8,000 hours but something around the 50,000 hour range. Also do those require color wheels? I do not want to have to replace those either. I want a television that will remain maintenance free for 5-10 years like the SD tube televisions were. I figure if I can get about 10 years use out of a television at around 15 hours a day then I will have gotten my money's worth out of it and something new and much more amazing will be out by then and prices will have gone way down as well even less than 10 years.

You might wait and see how the laserVue does when it is finally released towards the end of the month. It will be more expensive, but it should deliver one of the most outstanding pictures with rich, deep blacks and you won't have to worry about bulbs.

S~

You might wait and see how the laserVue does when it is finally released towards the end of the month. It will be more expensive, but it should deliver one of the most outstanding pictures with rich, deep blacks and you won't have to worry about bulbs.

S~

If you can believe the price reported in Home Theater: Mitsubishi Gets Coherent $6,995 for a 65" is out of the price range for most. I can buy a ton of $99 lamps for my WD73735 for the difference in price.

I read that Mitsubishi is now working on getting the laser technology into a front projector. LED front projector is on the way with some models starting this year (from other companies not Mitsubishi).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)