LCD, Plasma or Rear projection

richardmb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Berwyn IL.
I've noticed lately that allot of hd Lcd & Plasma sets are being sold at 720p, and most 1080i/p sets are rear projection is there a big difference in quality between plasma & or lcds and rear projection sets? :confused:

richardmb said:
I've noticed lately that allot of hd Lcd & Plasma sets are being sold at 720p, and most 1080i/p sets are rear projection is there a big difference in quality between plasma & or lcds and rear projection sets? :confused:
Yes, there can be a big difference in picture quality, but not really because of 720p vs 1080i vs 1080p.
In your question, you are actually dealing with a LOT of variables that can impact picture quality and what TV you would want to buy. While the native resolution of a TV does play a role in PQ, especially at larger sizes (55 in. +), it is just one of many factors to consider. LCD, plasma, and the various rear projection technologies (DLP, LCD, CRT and LCOS) each seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses. Matching those strengths and weeknesses to what you want out of a TV is the trick.
So yeah... it can be overwhelming. If you'd like, though, toss out some more info on what you might want from a TV. Things like budget, types of shows/movies/sports you'd watch, what size of TV (or, how far away you would sit from the TV), and any thing else you might find relevant. I could then give you some pointers (and explain the reasoning behind the explanations).

RP CRT is hands down the best tech on the market. But the retailers are pushing the others down peoples throat based on one thing, higher profits to them, and inferior picture to you.

VIPERS-PIT said:
RP CRT is hands down the best tech on the market. But the retailers are pushing the others down peoples throat based on one thing, higher profits to them, and inferior picture to you.

Maybe, but the flat screen LCD and Plasmas are (as Joe Isuzu would say, just like the Isuzu Axiom...) "SEXY". :D

I have a RP CRT and can't complain. The only problem is they need to be converged occasionally. I don't think you need to do that with other technologies out there.

-John

smokey982 said:
Could you please explain what you mean by "converged"? I have a RP CRT and I woud love to know if there's a way to improve my picture quality without spending a fortune.
Most RP CRTs have some sort of convergence. Newer models have auto convergence, and older models have manual convergence (you align things by hand at fixed points on the screen). Basically, you need to allign the red, green and blue CRTs so that when all are on you get a nice white with no halo around it.

Look in your TV manual, there has to be a way to do convergence. For example, my RCA model from 3 years ago does autoconvergence around the edges, but you still need to do the manual convergence in the center of the screen.

-John

I have a 57" Hitachi (57S500) that has a "Magic Focus" button. Is that the convergence button? When I hit the button, the screen turns different colors for a few seconds at a time(red,green,blue).

I occasionally use this feature, but I honestly have never been able to see any difference in the picture quality. Is this something I should use frequently?

Thats the feature. Just use it as needed. Usually its easy to notice when you need to do it because text will appear out of focus. (look closely at the CNN scroller, or weather channel text).

You shouldn't need to do it too often. Maybe once a year, or every 6 months or so. I dunno. I just do it whenever I notice it doesn't look right.

-John