League Pass HD on Dish?

tivoenthused

Original poster
May 30, 2008
I'm a 10 year DirecTV subscriber who recently switched to Dish. One thing I loved about DirecTV was they carried all of the RSN's on national satellites (vs local spot beams). This meant for sports packages like NBA League Pass, they almost always had every game in HD (and often would carry home and away feeds in HD for each game). Even if the game was shown on an RSN they didn't carry (like comcast sportsnet NW, etc) they still would broadcast at least one HD feed of the game for League Pass subscribers.

I'm considering getting NBA League Pass for Dish. What can I expect as far as HD coverage? What percentage of the games can I expect to be in HD?

Thanks for your help.

If I'm not mistaken...more often then not there is a game or two or ten in sd...there is hd games but some nights there could be 3 or 4 sd games...as far as home and away feeds there is only one feed but I'm not sure how they decide which feed to use

I was told this by a csr so take w a grain of salt...I want to get league pass deal too...do we know if their are any deals besides 189 for league pass???

If I'm not mistaken...more often then not there is a game or two or ten in sd...there is hd games but some nights there could be 3 or 4 sd games...as far as home and away feeds there is only one feed but I'm not sure how they decide which feed to use

I was told this by a csr so take w a grain of salt...I want to get league pass deal too...do we know if their are any deals besides 189 for league pass???

That isn't true. Dish uses their RSN feeds for League Pass just like Directv does. The difference is that Directv has the NY RSNs and full time HD RSNs. If Dish is carrying an NBA feed on the RSNs in HD league pass will have it in HD. Their RSN HD problem isn't as bad as it used to be. Almost every game will be available in HD. The exceptions are when two teams on RSNs that Dish doesn't carry like the Raptors and Nets are playing. You will still get the game but it will probably only have one feed available and it will be in SD.

If two teams Dish does carry the RSN for like Detroit and Boston are playing you will almost always have both feeds available in HD. If you want League Pass to follow a specific team let us know what it is and we can tell you if Dish has their RSN. If you just want it to watch random games around the NBA you will get at least one HD feed for most games but there are exceptions.

Here's the other thing. I'm pretty sure League Pass comes with the streaming service now. If you have a streaming device like a Apple TV, Roku, game console, etc... and a decent internet connection you will be able to stream the HD feeds Dish is missing.

That isn't true. Dish uses their RSN feeds for League Pass just like Directv does. The difference is that Directv has the NY RSNs and full time HD RSNs. If Dish is carrying an NBA feed on the RSNs in HD league pass will have it in HD. Their RSN HD problem isn't as bad as it used to be. Almost every game will be available in HD. The exceptions are when two teams on RSNs that Dish doesn't carry like the Raptors and Nets are playing. You will still get the game but it will probably only have one feed available and it will be in SD. If two teams Dish does carry the RSN for like Detroit and Boston are playing you will almost always have both feeds available in HD. If you want League Pass to follow a specific team let us know what it is and we can tell you if Dish has their RSN. If you just want it to watch random games around the NBA you will get at least one HD feed for most games but there are exceptions.

I don't remember having the choice between the home or away feed...I'm not sure how they decide but I always remember its one feed or the other...never both...I could be wrong ...it looks like heat vs sixes is sd on wed night...dish doesn't carry either rsn in hd???

I'm not sure about Miami, but Dish does not carry the Phily rsn at all.

I thought they did carry the Miami Fox Sports station but that is from a year ago (as I would often watch with MS to catch the end of Marlins games).

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't remember having the choice between the home or away feed...I'm not sure how they decide but I always remember its one feed or the other...never both...I could be wrong ...it looks like heat vs sixes is sd on wed night...dish doesn't carry either rsn in hd???

I would wait a few days and check again. I am betting that the Heat HD feed will be available and the Sixers feed won't be on Dish in HD or SD because Dish doesn't carry CSN Philly.

Ill do that...excited for the coming season...I guess I will find out but I always thought you get only one game and not your choice of home or away....one more day left...nba is back !!!

Ill do that...excited for the coming season...I guess I will find out but I always thought you get only one game and not your choice of home or away....one more day left...nba is back !!!

I thought you only get the home team's feed on the NBA. NHL offers both feeds.

Does anyone know if there will be a free preview this week on Dish? Always look forward to seeing my Bucks get crushed. :-(

Just came across this in another thread...

The only way to get all of the games in HD is to sub to DirecTV. Dish is limited in their bandwidth that they are wanting to offer for the HDRSN's which unfortunately leads to limited HD availability when it comes to NBA league pass and NHL Center Ice.

The op was saying they don't receive all games for center ice in hd...this might help answer some questions

The op was saying they don't receive all games for center ice in hd...this might help answer some questions

I'm pretty sure the person who said that left Dish years ago because they don't have full time HD RSNs. The situation has improved since then. Most games are available in HD on the RSNs now and most games will be available in HD on League Pass too.

The hockey thread you were talking about was a problem because he is talking about Canadian teams. Dish doesn't carry Canadian RSNs so most of the time they only get the SD feed on Center Ice when two Canadian teams are playing each other. The same thing will happen in NBA if two teams are playing and neither team has an RSN on Dish. An example of this would be the Knicks and Sixers. If those teams play each other Dish will only have an SD feed. Dish does carry most of the NBA team's RSN and does put most games in HD now. I suggest trying out the free preview before you make a decision if you are worried about it.

On Center Ice other than the Canadian and NY teams all the teams which have HD games we see in HD.
In fact in the last few weeks we have had some CDC hockey night in Canada games in HD.

Back to the whole Sixers/Heat game - it is the only on NBA League Pass not in HD tonight, but if you go to channel 422, it is in HD on Sun Sports on Dish. And right now, Dish is using the NBA SD feed of Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia. Why wouldn't Dish just remap that feed to the NBA League Pass feed so we can see the game in HD? Does the NBA dictate what feed they can use?

I was just going to post about this. ..it is sd...but I haven't checked yet but Im not sure if all home teams are the feed dish uses...but it seems like that. ..also about an earlier matter. ..you only get one feed. ..you get home or away thru the Internet but not the tv

I still got League Pass and can't wait to start using it next week when the free preview goes away

I was just going to post about this. ..it is sd...but I haven't checked yet but Im not sure if all home teams are the feed dish uses...but it seems like that.

It looks like you are right. Dish is carrying the HD version of MSG for the Bucks/Knicks game, even though the Fox Sports Wisconsin feed is on 440. Same thing with Charlotte/Rockets - Dish is carrying the HD version of Comcast Sportsnet Houston for the game even thought the HD version from Sports South is on 442. So right there they are using two HD feeds specifically for NBA league pass that they normally wouldn't have - they are doing more than just remapping the RSN's they carry in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts