Learning Remote Codes almost works

dlmcmurr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Tennessee
Well, since I was able to learn how to use the TV Off button to turn off the DVR, let me pose another question.

Have a Joey with a Viore TV attached. No, it doesn't support HDMI-CEC. None of the several Viore codes worked for the remote, so I used the learn function to program it. That worked great for volume and mute, but I was never able to learn the power button. Evidently there is something in the remote firmware that prevents it from learning that function. When learning the other functions, the red light will blink as you tell it which key to learn. This never happens with the power button. So I tried to assign it to another button, such as PIP on the Joey which isn't used. It didn't refuse to learn it, however, even when pressing the TV button first, it still said this function wasn't available on a Joey when I tried to use the button to turn off the TV. The answer I received over at the Dish Support remote control forum was that there are some functions that don't work. To me, there's not a button more important than the power button.

Anyone have any ideas? Does Dish ever add to the codes in the remote when doing other updates?

Thanks,
Dave

Did you try learning the power command to the LARGE power button. The "TV" will then be programmed with the new code. You cannot learn a command directly to the "TV" button.

Additional info if I read your post correctly you cannot program ANY buttons in Sat mode on the remotes.

Last edited:
I think what he is trying to say is that certain ir commands won't be recognized by the 40.0 remote no matter what he does. I am currently battling this same issue. I can program the majority of my buttons, but some I can't get to work no matter what I do. On some, I even had to morse code on them to work, press hold release press, but that means the remote didn't get the proper codes in the correct order. Oh well, back to my old 20.0 for now :(

-Erik

Did you try learning the power command to the LARGE power button. The "TV" will then be programmed with the new code. You cannot learn a command directly to the "TV" button.

Additional info if I read your post correctly you cannot program ANY buttons in Sat mode on the remotes.

What I was saying, probably not very clearly, is it was unable to learn the red TV power button. In a last ditch effort, I tried to pick a key that I knew the Joey was not using and decided to try the PIP key. Although it seemed to accept the sequence, it would not play it back, instead seeing it still as a Joey command.

I have not yet tried the large red button as you suggested.

Thanks for the idea,
Dave