8 New HD Local Markets coming to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
On todays retailer chat DISH announced that 8 new HD markets are coming to DISH on November 21st.

The new markets are shown in the screenshot below.

Please do not call DISH to get these locals until after November 21. As they will have nothing in their system until then.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 12.38.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-07 at 12.38.30 PM.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 1,903
Salisbury, MD has been uplinked. Alpena, MI and Clarksburg, WV should be available now. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/323509-11-6-2013-5-27pm-Uplink-Activity-Report-95-changes

5261(11) - WBKB [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 06 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Alpena, MI-Alpena, MI-CBS,)
5263(6) - WCML [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 06 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Alpena, MI-Alpena, MI-PBS,)
6530(12) - WBKB2 [MPEG4 SD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 06 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Alpena, MI-Alpena, MI-CBS,)
6532(25) - WEYI [MPEG4 SD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 06 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Alpena, MI-Saginaw, MI-NBC,)
6533(13) - WBKBD [MPEG4 SD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 06 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Alpena, MI-Alpena, MI-FOX,)

5161(5) - WDTV [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 27 Spotbeam 30 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Clarksburg, WV-Parkersburg, WV-CBS,)
5162(12) - WBOY [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 27 Spotbeam 30 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Clarksburg, WV-Clarksburg, WV-NBC,)
5163(10) - WVFX [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 27 Spotbeam 30 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Clarksburg, WV-Clarksburg, WV-FOX,)
5164(24) - WNPB [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 27 Spotbeam 30 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Clarksburg, WV-Morgantown, WV-PBS,)
7910(52) - WBOYD [MPEG4 SD] - Echostar16 61.5W TP 27 Spotbeam 30 changed to Available (H) (Mkt:Clarksburg, WV-Clarksburg, WV-ABC,)

6465(47) - WMDT [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Salisbury, MD-ABC,) (NA)
6466(16) - WBOC [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Salisbury, MD-CBS,) (NA)
6469(28) - WCPB [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 25 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Salisbury, MD-PBS,) (NA)
6470(12) - WDPB [MPEG4 HD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 25 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Seaford, DE-PBS) (NA)
6742(25) - WHAG [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Hagerstown, MD-NBC,) (NA)
6743(21) - WBOCD [MPEG4 SD] added to Echostar16 61.5W TP 31 Spotbeam 03 (Mkt:Salisbury, MD-Salisbury, MD-FOX,) (NA)

most of those are already launched
Lima (remember Scott you had the Al Snow joke)
Jonesboro
Lafayette
Parkersburg

Now some of those are in HD for the actual local(s) and not the imported ones (the last 3 in particular)...so maybe the post is that the imported ones will be in HD too on that date?

Actually they haven't launched yet. The uplink might have said they are available but they have not been made available in the csr's computers yet.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What are the size of some of these DMAs? Need them to get towards the bottom of the list to get Charlottesville, VA in HD.

Most of these are short markets or unique situations
Lafayette-1 station market (CBS)..rest from Indy
Jonesboro-2 station market (ABC & PBS) + religious
Lima-All 4 networks are owned by same people
Parkersburg-no ABC and the other 3 are owned by same folks (Gray...who dish signed a long term deal with)
Alpena-no NBC. Other 3 nets are owned by same person and are subchannels(CBS is on -1 Fox is -2 and ABC is -3)

Salisbury I'm kinda shocked at since when DIsh launched SD in all markets Salisbury was the one holdout so they only had PBS and an imported NBC

It also probably has a lot to do with spot capacity availability. As Iceberg pointed out these are small markets with just some channels, so if a spot already has the adjacent market and adding a couple more channels and use the existing ones to fill in the missing networks, Dish can have a new market with minimal capacity issues.

I think it has to do more with there is only one owner to deal with for the whole market. There is only one station (CBS) but they have Fox and ABC on subchannels.

In the case of Alpena this is true However they are pulling NBC out of Saginaw where the cable company offers WTOM out of The Traverse City market and has all of the Traverse City stations as well

My mother-in-law pays for HD and lives in the Puducha DMA. I was there this weekend and her locals are still in SD but available in HD. Would are need to call to get it moved to HD?

Actually they haven't launched yet. The uplink might have said they are available but they have not been made available in the csr's computers yet.
Here's part of an email I rec'd from the CE at Lima's stations (as Iceberg say, they're all owned/operated by the same group):

Me:
If you call Dish Network and ask for Lima's local channels in HD, they will inform you that they're not available.

Their website (admittedly it may not be updated) only lists SD channels: http://www.dish.com/entertainment/channels/local/ (I used 45805 zip code).
Him:
Whomever is telling you that is either ill-informed, or has not updated their call sheets.

We give both Dish Network and DirecTV our signals in 720P HD/Surround. If they don't know this, or they offer another "tier" to get them, is beyond our ability to solve once it leaves here.

I don't have dish services, but I do know people who have the service, and I know they are getting us in HD. I do not know which service they have.

If someone is telling you we're only in SD, ask them to contact me and I'll set them straight.
There was a previous exchange that I mentioned "uplinked", "available", and Eastern Arc but that seemingly confused him. He rambled on about digital channel assignments, 720p, 16:9, side bars, etc, etc...