Lease a 942 ? Existing Sub

B

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
309
1
emtownsend said:
...Why do I need to pay an extra $5 a month just for upgrading my DVR? Why do I need to pay $5 a month for no phone hook up? It is not needed. I have been using Dish just fine for seven years with no land-line and no extra fee. ...

The $5 DVR fee is to help them recoup the cost of the DVR, as $250 probably does not quite cover it. The $5 no-phone charge is a penalty for lost revenue since they will never get any PPV/VOD revenue from you. Why on the DVR? Because people with DVR's are more likely to use PPV and VOD. But - now that I think about it - I seem to recall that they hit you with the $5 no-phone penalty if you have a dual receiver also. I suspect all contracts will eventually have the $5 no-phone penalty. Perhaps they will eventually add an Ethernet port and give you the option of using the internet instead of a phone line.
 
SatinKzo

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
6,232
83
Louisiana
bbtkd said:
The $5 DVR fee is to help them recoup the cost of the DVR, as $250 probably does not quite cover it. The $5 no-phone charge is a penalty for lost revenue since they will never get any PPV/VOD revenue from you. Why on the DVR? Because people with DVR's are more likely to use PPV and VOD. But - now that I think about it - I seem to recall that they hit you with the $5 no-phone penalty if you have a dual receiver also. I suspect all contracts will eventually have the $5 no-phone penalty. Perhaps they will eventually add an Ethernet port and give you the option of using the internet instead of a phone line.

God No. I have enough problems keeping my buggy MS software safe from hackers. Dish will be worse, and probably get pissy when you have it behind a firewall.

They are working on their own setup where only one receiver in the whole house will need to be plugged into a phone jack, but this is only on newer receivers, by using the power lines to connect all the receivers.
 
120inna55

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
1,454
31
Athens, Texas, United States
datwell said:
E* has a policy that dual tuner units should be professionally installed. I told that super nice lady at E* that I wanted to do my own install (I had already pewired for the 2nd tuner). She covered E*'s policy with me and then set up an installation date well after I would recieve the unit so I could take a crack at installing it myself. After I completed the installation, I called E* to activate the 942 and when all was properly completed, they cancelled the installation. The 942 is one super nice unit - we just love it! :D

da doug

I took your lead and did the same thing. Amanda set up install for Sunday the 12th. The 942 shipped Monday the 6th. I ran another wire in from my DP34 Tuesday. The 942 arrived Thursday. I hooked it up (a no-brainer). The software download & memory writing took about 30 minutes. I called 800-333-DISH. When I stated I needed to activate a 942, the rep said I needed to talk to an advanced tech support guy, so she transferred me. He said he could see that I had a work-order for an install on Sunday. I told him the receiver came in and I couldn't wait, but that I had no problems. He warned me of the inevitable problems of only having one tuner connected to the 942. I told him I was aware of that and that I had 2 tuners hooked up. It took me a while to make him understand that I actually had 4 lines coming in from a DP34 with 2 going to my 721 and now 2 going to my 942. Once he realized I knew what I was doing. He started apologizing. I told him there was no need and that I could only imagine the tech support nightmares that he must face with these dual-tuner DVRs. He was a very nice guy and he cancelled the install order for Sunday without any hassle. A very good experience.
 
swade

swade

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 30, 2005
68
0
Returning Dish Customer after being with VOOM

davemanfl said:
If you could talk dish into leasing you a 942 as an current sub for 249.00 do you think that's the best deal you will see for a while ??

:confused: :confused:

I was not allowed to be on the Voom deal as a new customer. I did get the 924 and the 627 (new SD DVR). The deal was $250 upfront for the 924 but no monthly charge because I am on the Everything plan. I also get the insurence coverage for repair free for 2 years. The 924 was suppose to be on a 2 year contract but the installer brought a one year contract for me to sign. I also got the HD package for half price for a year but Voom package at $5. Even though I had both the Voom antenna and a 3 year old dish antenna, the elctronics needed to get voom had to be the newer model which cost me an additional $100. There was an additional $49 but that is rebated with the first month.

I pay about $110 mo now will go up to $115. This is about $20 more than VOOM but then I didn't have 2 DVR's.

Biggest gripe over the 924 is that it is only 250 Gigs. Other gipes I hope they will fix are the occationally it switches to sterio but comes back to Surrounds sound if I use PIP, CBS local will not fill in, default recod goes to record every show (almost wipped out my hard drive). It would be nice if protected was the default mode so accidents don't happen. Also it only records one off the air show at time. This seem to be a political move no a technical reason.

It produces a exact copy of HD programing with full surround sound when available.

Now if they just combined that with a HD DVD writer.

I think the only reason there are limits on the 924 is that they don't have enough. I went through a local dealer which got me a better deal than direct. I think I talked to 4 people directly for a total of 3 hours on the phone & each one had a different deal.. The dealer & I were completely honest with dish. We had to get a supervisor on one issue but ruled in my favor. His concern was that he could not get one from his supplier. We called while I was there and they had 2 of them.

I like my 624 DVR ( for my wife). :shocked :shocked :shocked
 
DWS44

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
7,311
4,498
Rock Hill, SC
SatinKzo said:
They are working on their own setup where only one receiver in the whole house will need to be plugged into a phone jack,

...which will be totally useless to those of us who choose to live life without a (gasp) landline!
 
Devil24

Devil24

Proud Supporter of SatelliteGuys.US
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2005
280
0
Houston, TX
swade said:
I pay about $110 mo now will go up to $115. This is about $20 more than VOOM but then I didn't have 2 DVR's.

Biggest gripe over the 924 is that it is only 250 Gigs.

- The correct model is a 942.

- $115 for all that programming and 2 DVRs is not a bad deal at all (ex-Voomer here, also paying the same amount to E* for their AEP+HD+V10).

- '250GB only' a gripe???? that's a pretty decent amount of storage space, even when dealing with a lot of HD content.
 
dimi1963

dimi1963

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 19, 2004
268
0
Union, NJ
I did what everybody did, I sent an email to the 'CEO@echostar.com' and about one hour later I received a phone call by a guy named Todd (i believe it was Todd), who left a VM because I wasn't home and told me that in a month there will be a promotion for existing subs to lease the 942. Stay tuned then because he made it sound interesting...
 
F

fenwah

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 18, 2004
145
0
dimi1963 said:
I did what everybody did, I sent an email to the 'CEO@echostar.com' and about one hour later I received a phone call by a guy named Todd (i believe it was Todd), who left a VM because I wasn't home and told me that in a month there will be a promotion for existing subs to lease the 942. Stay tuned then because he made it sound interesting...

Just in time for the NFL. ***DROOLING***
 
H

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Oct 13, 2003
2,289
0
This better be the deal of the century.. I just checked out my local Comcast deals, since I haven't paid attention to them in about 4 years.

For $70 a month I can get a dual tuner HD DVR with firewire ports active, all the normal chans + one movie pak + all the HD (locals + tnt + discovery + inhd1, 2 + comcast sportsnet HD + one movie HD).

In addition, if I give up the dish, they'll give a $25 credit for 1.5years.


The only HD DVR dish has is the 921/942. As far as I can tell, theres no way around the up front lease "upgrade" fee, + the DVR fee + the phone line fee. I am one of those CRAZY TECHIE FOOLZ with no landline (get with the program dish)..... If Dish cant provide an HD DVR in the next few months for little to no "upgrade" fee... charlie can take a hike, I'll suffer w/o HDnet for awhile.
 
Y

yukon

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
119
0
Well I think its time to Jump ship. Everytime I email the CEO link I never get a email or a call back. Point is, I pay over a $100 bucks a month and been loyal to dish for couple of years and they can never return my call or offer me any breaks. Just pisses me off. How can you hand out the 942 to some existing subs and ignore others? I sent my account number, and telephone number in link and still nothing. Anyone have a contact at dish I can talk to that will offer me this deal???
 
W

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
341
0
yukon said:
Well I think its time to Jump ship. Everytime I email the CEO link I never get a email or a call back. Point is, I pay over a $100 bucks a month and been loyal to dish for couple of years and they can never return my call or offer me any breaks. Just pisses me off. How can you hand out the 942 to some existing subs and ignore others? I sent my account number, and telephone number in link and still nothing. Anyone have a contact at dish I can talk to that will offer me this deal???


They extended it to me because they failed to show or call for two dish install attempts for the 148 sat to get the remaining locals I need. Perhaps they are on to the onslaught of emails, or maybe they are back logged?

-Bill
 
ToUgHsPot

ToUgHsPot

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 24, 2005
60
0
yukon said:
Well I think its time to Jump ship. Everytime I email the CEO link I never get a email or a call back. Point is, I pay over a $100 bucks a month and been loyal to dish for couple of years and they can never return my call or offer me any breaks. Just pisses me off. How can you hand out the 942 to some existing subs and ignore others? I sent my account number, and telephone number in link and still nothing. Anyone have a contact at dish I can talk to that will offer me this deal???

yukon, you should have read through the beginning of this entire thread. If you had, you would've found this...

ToUgHsPot said:
Wow!! Isn't that a coincidence??? Ms. Amanda Wood was the same lady that called me too. You are so right, she's really a nice and helpful lady. A real asset to her company. Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but any existing subscriber that wants to lease the 942 can PM me, I'll give them Amanda's direct phone line. She includes it with all her emails.....

Thing about it, I've found on other forums that alot of other people are really complimenting this same lady for being so helpful and pleasant. No!!! She's no relative of mine!!
 
Y

yukon

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
119
0
Its cool.. They finally called me, just a few days Late..hehe.. So what you guys think.. 942 worth the bucks????
 
GregH

GregH

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 21, 2004
16
0
I sent the CEO email. Got a call at home 2 hours later. Unfortunately, I was at work and missed it. The guy who called works from 2:30pm - 11:00pm MST. Hope when I catch him its good news!. I have a 56" Samsung 1080P on order. I need a 942 lease!
 
David Dietzel

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 21, 2004
371
0
Rancho Cucamonga
I got my 942 via UPS in only 7 days with the install due Thursday 6/23 in the morning.

Can't wait to record all the great HD content Dish offers that Direct and Cable in my area do not.

Life is about to get very good.
 
David Dietzel

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 21, 2004
371
0
Rancho Cucamonga
Installation of the 942 went great. Will ship back the 811 and move the 510 upstairs so we'll have two DVR units on our two sets.

Wow.

Great picture on the 942. Now I can record American Chopper in HD and watch when I get home late.

Too kewl.
 
S

SteveinDanville

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 1, 2003
129
0
Amanda got me my existing customer lease and it showed up in 7 days. Installed on Tuesday, from a VERY helpful and knowledgable installer, I might add. Bad news is that here in California, 61.5 is barely above the horizon, and to make matters worse, there is a two-story house to my east, so I can't see the Voom sat at all, so I'm stuck with the incredibly compelling set of Dish HD broadcasting. I must say, with my new 55" Fujitsu plasma, the picture detail is so good that standard def on it looks horrible, with pixelating and aritifacting all over the place. I'm on 1080i using zoom 2, and my wife right off the bat said that our 1992 Mitsu. 50" RPTV looked much better. Ouch! I'm afraid that so far I have to agree. I've got a lot of work to do to bring the picture up to snuff.
 
W

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
341
0
SteveinDanville said:
Amanda got me my existing customer lease and it showed up in 7 days. Installed on Tuesday, from a VERY helpful and knowledgable installer, I might add. Bad news is that here in California, 61.5 is barely above the horizon, and to make matters worse, there is a two-story house to my east, so I can't see the Voom sat at all, so I'm stuck with the incredibly compelling set of Dish HD broadcasting. I must say, with my new 55" Fujitsu plasma, the picture detail is so good that standard def on it looks horrible, with pixelating and aritifacting all over the place. I'm on 1080i using zoom 2, and my wife right off the bat said that our 1992 Mitsu. 50" RPTV looked much better. Ouch! I'm afraid that so far I have to agree. I've got a lot of work to do to bring the picture up to snuff.

As far as an SD to HD comparison, I have found a lot of OTA SD content that looks really good on my Hitachi 65". Most of it is very tough to tell the difference between between it and HD.

As for Dish SD, HD is night and day....
 
G

Greg Haynes

Member
Jun 18, 2004
6
0
Can someone tell me exactly what I will need for a 942 lease? I currently have a Dish 500 with a Dish 721 & 508. I live in the Northeast and want to get locals in HD as well as the Dish HD package.

Do I need to add an extra satellite for 61.5 bird?
Do I need to add an antenna to the roof for locals or does Dish now broadcast HD locals through their satellites?
Do I need any switches?

I probably will sell the 721 and keep the 508 up in the bedroom. So I need just the one line for the 508 and I'm assuming I will need 3 lines for the 942 with 2 being for the Sat Tuner and the 3rd for OTA unless this is not necessary anymore.
 

Similar threads

DishDave
Replies
8
Views
2K
Pepper
Pepper
DishDave
Replies
3
Views
1K
Edgar_in_Indy
Edgar_in_Indy
Fabric8r
Replies
4
Views
2K
Cliff
Cliff
jmd102354
Replies
6
Views
2K
webtent
webtent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top