Leased Receiver Fees

brad880

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Customer service is taking a hard line on the leased receiver fee for the FIRST receiver on an account. I called to change my base programming and asked them to remove the leased receiver fee (I only have one receiver). They said they couldn't because I was grandfathered into that receiver promotion that charged the leased receiver fee on the first receiver... What???

I had to go to retentions to get it removed... Whats the deal with that?

BTW I'm not under contract.

I had the same issue. I thought that the $7 fee that I was going to be charged was going to be an additional outlet fee and that they would waive it on one of the other recievers but they done it to their benefit. They charged $7 for the 722 and $5 for each of the other receivers on the account. Told them NOPE, aint paying it, shut my account off, $23 in fees for the main receiver on the account is just too much for me ($10 HD $7 Lease Fee $6 DVR Fee).

They told me that they would remove it for the remainder of the 24 month contract. If they try to charge that fee after that I am cancelling and going to DirecTv. I have drawn the line and sick of all the extra fees.

Does DirecTv charge a lease fee on the first receiver on an account?

When did Dish Network change the rule on not charging the lease fee for the first receiver on the account? They activated mine last November so I thought they had that rule before then. They told me due to the fact that I pay annually that it charged the fee.

That's our CHARLIE! The king of cable like FEES!

The more he can charge the more he likes it. That is why we have;

The wonderful DVR fee $5.98 PER dvr RECEIVER!

The additional receiver fees -highest in the sat industry: 6.00 for sd and 7.00 for hd receivers.

The hd enabeling fee -Now reduced to just $5.00!

Oh and lets not forget the no phone line connection fee for a low, low price of $5.00 a month.

Extra fees you can expect : $39.99 for external hard drives for the 612/622/722 dvrs and a separate $39.99 for external hard drives for the 211/211k receivers. That's right ! Even if you have both on your account ,you still pay TWICE!!

And remember folks with DISH you pay more than either DIRECTV or cable for your pay per views. If you have an hd receiver and you want just a regular pay per view it will be $4.99/ HD version $5.99. Now if you want the convenient pre recorded pay per views on DISH portion of your hard drive it will be $5.99 for sd and $6.99 for hd movies.

THe best part / saddest part is that DISH is still cheaper ,yes cheaper for regular programming packs than the competition. Its the extra fees where DISH racks up the $$$$ and kill you.

DISH the home of extra FEES$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Customer service is taking a hard line on the leased receiver fee for the FIRST receiver on an account. I called to change my base programming and asked them to remove the leased receiver fee (I only have one receiver). They said they couldn't because I was grandfathered into that receiver promotion that charged the leased receiver fee on the first receiver... What???

I had to go to retentions to get it removed... Whats the deal with that?

BTW I'm not under contract.

brad880: did retention remove the fee? I'm going thru the same thing, trying to get the $7 lease fee removed on the only rec (622) on my acct; I got the 622 (under the dishing it up plan) in July 2006, so I figgered they've recouped their investment since I've been paying the lease fee for 2 1/2 years. My story is that to get the fee waived dish is doing a swap; they are sending me a replacement 622 (via ups) and I'll return my leased 622. I had tried to get the fee removed thru the phone, no luck, so I sent an email to the ceo address. I think it's pretty screwy that they can't just drop the lease fee but I'll play the game to save $84 + tax for a year. I did find out when viewing your acct online, on the menu there is a heading called "orders"; I clicked on it and it shows the replacement rec was shipped on 1/30, with a link to the ups tracking #. Now I'm hoping that I don't get someone else's defective 622:D; well actually I'm thinking it would be nice to get a 722:). My email said the "back office department" wouldn't waive the fee outright, that's the reason for the swap (upgrade). Boy, that hurts my feelings:p

That's so screwed up that they have to swap the 622 for another one just to get the $7 fee removed. Something is very wrong with a company that has to do it that way. Their computer system must not be setup correctly to remove fees. At least you get an updated 622 but if your current one is working fine and you get your refurb it might start causing you lots of issues, swap it for another one once again and it start giving you problems as well.

Don't forget, you will lose all of the recordings on your hard drive and have to redo all of your timers unless you have an external hard drive. You can go ahead and buy one but its $39.99 for the privelidge to do so. Maybe you can get it waived by telling them that you want to transfer your recordings.

Retentions did remove the fee and indicated there was no reason for the fee being on my account. I asked them why the regular cust service reps were basically lying to customers when their own website is clear on this subject that the first leased receiver fee is included with your basic programming package and she didn't have an answer.

I should have mentioned that the service rep couldn't do basic math either. My contract went from Jan 2007 thru Jan 2009. The dude was convinced that was only 1 year and I still had another year left. Go figure.

That's so screwed up that they have to swap the 622 for another one just to get the $7 fee removed. Something is very wrong with a company that has to do it that way. Their computer system must not be setup correctly to remove fees. At least you get an updated 622 but if your current one is working fine and you get your refurb it might start causing you lots of issues, swap it for another one once again and it start giving you problems as well.

Don't forget, you will lose all of the recordings on your hard drive and have to redo all of your timers unless you have an external hard drive. You can go ahead and buy one but its $39.99 for the privelidge to do so. Maybe you can get it waived by telling them that you want to transfer your recordings.
Yeah, I agree it's a pita. I suppose I can see their point, the only legal way to do away with the lease fee is to close that contract out
(since that was what I signed up for in July 2006, and that's what the contract said), do an "upgrade", then I'll be covered under the current agreement, which says the first receiver on the acct doesn't have a lease fee. Two other points, I didn't have to commit (am out of contract), and the no fee for the first receiver is good for 12 months, after that I'll hafta contact the executive branch:D again to get it waived for another 12 months. Maybe they figger I'll forget by then;). I don't have the ehd option, thought about it and to me it's not worth the $40. Got most of the recordings watched or deleted, no biggie on anything that's left unwatched. This just goes to show that businesses don't do anything to accomodate their existing customers, just want the new ones to sign up:mad:
Looking at the acct online, it shows a $50 upgrade charge, then a -$50 credit for that charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)