Least expensive place to buy a HR24?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Direct will sell it for 199.00. Has anybody had a less expensive experance? Thanks

Just to remind you, that's a lease price, you won't own it. And DirecTV won't guarantee an HR24, you could get any of the DVRs.

If you really want an Hr24, there are a couple of options. First, get it (still a lease) from Solid Signal or another online vendor. Still $199.

Or, with great care, get an "owned" one on ebay, having checked with DirecTV th.at the seller does in fact "own" the box. But that will be closer to $300.

Occasionally people like solid signal offer the box for a lease price lower than $199, but a quick check today showed $199 was the lease price everywhere.

Well it all depends on how long you have been a customer. Log on to your DirecTV website account and see if you qualify for an upgrade. I did that and decided not to proceed when they wanted a $50 installation fee. Somehow D* knows you have been on their website and they called me about two weeks later to ask why I did not upgrade. I said that I really liked the idea of an HR24 upgrade but didn't want to part with the $50 right now. So, they waived the fee and I got a new HR24 for free. It seems worth a try.

I've seen the 34's cheaper than the 24's on Amazon ...

I think I'd rather have another HR24 over a 34.

Then again, I'd like a 44 with the old remote that is used on the 24's !

I've got 2 backlit remotes that I use daily ... doubt that the new remotes do that. :(

Nope no back light, just a matter of time I hope. I really do like the new remote other than that. You can use the old remotes but only in IR, no RF.

I didn't see anything much below $200 for the HR24. If you don't already have a Genie you may consider that instead, Amazon has HR34 for around $160 or other places sell HR44 as low as $250. You may even be able to get a Genie upgrade at a lower price right from DirecTV. If you already have one, or just want to add an HD-DVR, you are kinda stuck around $200 unless DirecTV will give you a discount.

I am getting the HR44 for free. new costomer. Then if I want to add a HR24 for more tuners it would be another 199. Also looking at the AM21 for OTA. Unclear if that adds to the tuners or takes the place of? 5 people in the house, more tuners more better! I may try and insist on a better deal for the HR24. But to be honset seems like it is reasonable. I have read the buy vs lease and visea versa. To me, really makes no difference. You can't really use the box if you are not a Direct comstomer so owning it seems pointless. But I know there are reasons and have read them.

The AM21 will add tuners, I have an older HR20 -700 that has an internal tuner so with MRV and my HR24 - 500 I don't need one.

Don, the AM21 doesn't add any tuners as far as Recording goes.

A HR24 has 2 tuners in it, add an OTA AM21 and it still only records 2 things at a time.

Unless ones an on demand. iirc.

@jimbo, that's correct, that's what the OP was looking for.

I was just making a statement showing amazon as one of the cheapest retailers to find receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)