Leaving Directv for Dish

dolfantiger

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
South Carolina
I'm going to be leaving Directv soon for Dish....my contract expires on July 17th, and my monthly bill is due the 5th of each month. If I do this change the last week of April, how many months will I have to pay Directv for....2 or 3? Also anyone that has also done this change recently that is willing to give any advice, I would appreciate it.

Can I ask why you are leaving?

If you cancel the last week of April it would be 3 months
April-May
May-June
June-July

Iceberg said:
Can I ask why you are leaving?

If you cancel the last week of April it would be 3 months
April-May
May-June
June-July

Directv's last price hike didn't make me happy and I'm very impressed with the Hopper and Joey system I have seen with Dish, I have been with Directv for 9 years and have been mostly happy, I have tried on three separate occasions to talk to their retention department, I am thanked every time I call for being a loyal customer, but they refuse to even consider matching the package and cost of any of Dish's promotions...the best I have been offered is $5 off a month of 6 months and I refused the offer.

very rarely will a provider match "new sub" pricing because its not worth it in the providers mind.

I would research and do the homework before making a decision. Depending on the equipment you have now and your recording habits the Hopper may not be the best option. But that is up to you

Iceberg said:
very rarely will a provider match "new sub" pricing because its not worth it in the providers mind.

I would research and do the homework before making a decision. Depending on the equipment you have now and your recording habits the Hopper may not be the best option. But that is up to you

Thanks...I've done my research and homework and ready to move on

What part of South Carolina are you in dolfantiger? I'd love to do the dish install its anywhere within an hour or so of Savannah. PM me if you'd like. I can get you setup with anything you need.

Nice try Darth Vader..... :D

Sorry, more like 4 hours from Savannah...what's the story on that "nice try Darth Vader" quote??

Oh, and I started figuring you must be around Clemson due to the nick. I could still give you a hand on the weekend sometime when I'm at my in laws or parents in NE ga if interested. If not, hope you enjoy the new setup. I love mine!

Last edited:
Directv's last price hike didn't make me happy and I'm very impressed with the Hopper and Joey system I have seen with Dish, I have been with Directv for 9 years and have been mostly happy, I have tried on three separate occasions to talk to their retention department, I am thanked every time I call for being a loyal customer, but they refuse to even consider matching the package and cost of any of Dish's promotions...the best I have been offered is $5 off a month of 6 months and I refused the offer.

If you don't get 2 Hoppers, then forget it.

Ok...why do i need 2 Hoopers?

you don't, unless you have a requirement to record 4 satellite events simultaneously outside of primetime hours, or 3 non-major-network events during primetime hours.

There's a very vocal minority on this site who are holding the position that anything fewer than 5 satellite tuners is unacceptable. Personally, we have one Hopper and one Joey servicing two TVs, and couldn't be happier.

gadams said:
you don't, unless you have a requirement to record 4 satellite events simultaneously outside of primetime hours, or 3 non-major-network events during primetime hours.

There's a very vocal minority on this site who are holding the position that anything fewer than 5 satellite tuners is unacceptable. Personally, we have one Hopper and one Joey servicing two TVs, and couldn't be happier.

I agree with you...we only have 2 tv 's and see no need for 6 tuners....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts