leaving dish

The most likely scenario is Directv supplying an HS17 and two clients. The models will depend upon if you want 4k or not. If you get the equipment from Solid Signal you will have to pay out of pocket for them. It's free from Directv.

You might want to consider Directv Stream. I was a satellite customer for 20 years and went to streaming last fall. It takes some getting used to, but I'm happy I made the switch.

Reactions: Mr Tony
If the slowness of the HR24 is a concern, your main receiver could be an HR44 or HR54, while the HR24 could be a secondary receiver. Since this setup includes a Genie DVR, you would have to pay for Whole-Home DVR.

In comparison, two HR24 receivers do not have a mandatory WH-DVR fee.

If the slowness of the HR24 is a concern, your main receiver could be an HR44 or HR54, while the HR24 could be a secondary receiver. Since this setup includes a Genie DVR, you would have to pay for Whole-Home DVR.

In comparison, two HR24 receivers do not have a mandatory WH-DVR fee.
I think the only way to get the two HR-24's is to buy them. Would DTV even activate the HR-24? DTV would send out either the HS-17 or HR-54, Mini's and the new Gemini with built in streaming apps for new installs.

Last edited:
You might want to consider Directv Stream. I was a satellite customer for 20 years and went to streaming last fall. It takes some getting used to, but I'm happy I made the switch.
I love that I can record as much as I want at same time on stream. No issues with ‘oh crap I only have 4 tuners and have 6 things to record’

Reactions: raoul5788
Big Guy,
Go with the HR54 and a Client or HR24 ....

A client is Usually fine as lone as its all on the same system.

Sometimes you can get wired or wireless, depending on your situation.

Big Guy,

If the requirement is separate playlists in each of two rooms, then the best recommendation is an HR54 and HR24.

we built a system for the hell of it. and it gave a HS 17 WE chose a gemini and the second box was a wireless hd box, none could be tied into the coax into the system!!! and it all runs off your wifi no thanks to that crap. i heard there not even giving out the C61K clients anymore. but dealing with directv is like dealing with idiots

Not everyone has a 4K TV, and not everyone wants the same DVR playlist on all of their TVs, especially if you have multiple people in your household watching some of the same shows at their own pace in different rooms and someone inadvertently clicks delete before you had a chance to watch the episode.

Big Guy,

we were told the other day that there pushing the hs-17 with wireless boxes and one gemini if we wanted it. we asked about the c61k minis. and the rep said they were not giving those out any longer they want to go all wireless and use the hs-17 as the hub as she put it. she also said that there rarely giving out the hr 54 any longer. so there pushing the wireless setup

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016