legal subscribtion using FTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcbag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Tennessee
I've had a stationary dish pointed to AMC4 for the Hope & 3ABN channels for many years, I was wondering if there is a way to subscribe to the pay stations on this satellite using my coolsat receivers. Kinda the way we used to do with C-band.

Which channels in particular? Are you talking about the PowerVu channels?

I'm not sure I know what those channels are. I'm talking about Fox News, History, those type channel. When my Dish contract runs out, I will have to do something else, can no longer pay their prices, when all I ever watch are news type channel and a few others.

If you ran a hotel, maybe..

I assume the channels on 12060H...

In other words, not on that transponder.

There are many pay channels on AMC4 which I might be interested in. But in general news type channels are what I am looking for. I have several receivers and a couple of Dishes, so I could put up another stationary dish if I could subscribe to what I want without paying for Directv or Dishtv. I just don't have the funds to pay for what I don't watch now that I have been retired for several years, any extra money I had is long gone.

Last edited:
If you don't mind international news, add another LNB to your dish for 97W - Galaxy 19. There are 3-4 English language news channels there, plus lots of other programming that might be of interest to you. The 2 LNB setup is basically what the Glorystar system consists of. Check out the Glorystar forum here for more info.

If you don't mind international news, add another LNB to your dish for 97W - Galaxy 19. There are 3-4 English language news channels there, plus lots of other programming that might be of interest to you. The 2 LNB setup is basically what the Glorystar system consists of. Check out the Glorystar forum here for more info.

Thanks, I will look into that.

Speaking of hotels, I wonder what those guys would charge for the one-room bed-and-breakfast inn a lot of us might like to open (for our own private use of course) :)

There are many pay channels on AMC4 which I might be interested in. But in general news type channels are what I am looking for. I have several receivers and a couple of Dishes, so I could put up another stationary dish if I could subscribe to what I want without paying for Directv or Dishtv. I just don't have the funds to pay for what I don't watch now that I have been retired for several years, any extra money I had is long gone.

For free:
I agree with the poster who suggested the international news on 97W. There are two or three channels there.

You might also consider the ABC News on 89W
SatelliteGuys.US - 89.0°W Galaxy 28 Ku

For free:
I agree with the poster who suggested the international news on 97W. There are two or three channels there.

You might also consider the ABC News on 89W
SatelliteGuys.US - 89.0°W Galaxy 28 Ku

I will look into setting up a dish for 97W. I do get the local stations with the network news, but in my opinion the networks are not always a good source as to what is really going on, so I prefer to also include others, such as Lou Dobbs on CNN and maybe Fox news. I am not a trusting person of the media, and it seems the current administration is still in the campaining mode and has most still under their spell. I just can't buy what they seem to be selling.

I can relate to the viewpoint that news and media sources are tailored to suit certain philosophies or audience demographics.

Given the subject matter mentioned, be advised what is on 97W:

Al Jazeera - Think the style of BBC news, funded by the Emir of Qatar
Russia Today - from the Russian state owned news agency
Press TV - Funded by the Iranian government.

I like to watch these for contrast, to see other points of view.

I also like the opportunity to see euronews on 121W C-band.

Last edited:
I can relate to the viewpoint that news and media sources are tailored to suit certain philosophies or audience demographics.

Given the subject matter mentioned, be advised what is on 97W:

Al Jazeera - Think the style of BBC news, funded by the Emir of Qatar
Russia Today - from the Russian state owned news agency
Press TV - Funded by the Iranian government.

I like to watch these for contrast, to see other points of view.

I also like the opportunity to see euronews on 121W C-band.

Since I get BBC World News OTA from the local PBS, once I get the mesh up I'll have EuroNews.

You need to watch it to see if it's for you.
You know it's a slow news day when EuroNews loops at the half hour mark instead of the hour.

Since I get BBC World News OTA from the local PBS, once I get the mesh up I'll have EuroNews.

You need to watch it to see if it's for you.
You know it's a slow news day when EuroNews loops at the half hour mark instead of the hour.

Thanks for all this great information, maybe I need to learn how and to install a motor on one of my dishes.

dcbag

Since your dish is stationary and aimed at AMC4, there is a very simple solution for you to get G19 (97W) without moving your dish or adding a motor.

The solution is this:

You will be able to receive signal from two satellites at once with this Mono-block Duo LNBF.

Easy to install & setup. In your case, just clamp the left side LNBF on this unit. That will be your AMC4. Adjust the skew a couple of degrees. The right hand LNBF will receive G19. The unit has a built-in DiSEqC switch. Setup your receiver accordingly.

Attachments

• KLB1.jpg
    KLB1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Monoblock-KLB1-holder.jpg
    Monoblock-KLB1-holder.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Monoblock-KLB1-label.jpg
    Monoblock-KLB1-label.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 176
dcbag

Since your dish is stationary and aimed at AMC4, there is a very simple solution for you to get G19 (97W) without moving your dish or adding a motor.

The solution is this:

You will be able to receive signal from two satellites at once with this Mono-block Duo LNBF.

Easy to install & setup. In your case, just clamp the left side LNBF on this unit. That will be your AMC4. Adjust the skew a couple of degrees. The right hand LNBF will receive G19. The unit has a built-in DiSEqC switch. Setup your receiver accordingly.
Thanks for info, I just ordered 1 from you off of ebay.

As far as Euronews is concerned I still have yet to find it.

Been looking for four months.

6 footer just cant do it.

DCBag

I have one of those too. Worked pretty well for 97 & 101 or 97 & 93. Only drawback is there is a diseqc built in so you can only use it for one receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)