Legal way to get Canadian locals in US?

crussell19

Original poster
May 23, 2012
Northeast US
Is there a legal way to get Canadian locals via satellite in the us? Comcast offers these so I'm thinking there must be some way to do it without a broker, etc

Aren't there channels you can receive off Canadian satellites' footprints if you live in the Northern US?

Aren't there channels you can receive off Canadian satellites' footprints if you live in the Northern US?

Plenty of channels....hewever you will find the monthly service more costly than their US counterparts, especially since the Canadian Dollar is so strong against the greenback now. Plus you will be buying your own equipment.

Aren't the Canadian locals unencrypted though? All you should need is some free-to-air satellite equipment.

Aren't the Canadian locals unencrypted though? All you should need is some free-to-air satellite equipment.
Not on Bell, Locals are encrypted using Nagra 3, you will need to subscribe. Check the Sat Maps for coverage area as Bell is not available except in the North US and Swaw may disappear soon.

crussell19 said:
Is there a legal way to get Canadian locals via satellite in the us? Comcast offers these so I'm thinking there must be some way to do it without a broker, etc

There is NO "legal" way that I know of. Gettin Canadian tv service out of Canada is illegal as per legislation

2 things
-CBC and SRC are free to air on a big dish
-it is NOT illegal for a US person to possess Shaw or Bell. Its "grey area"...there is no FCC rule that says that. Conversely there IS a CRTC rule on file that says Canadians cannot possess Directv or Dish systems.

The only rue for a US person to sub is you need a Canadian address. Hence the broker if you need one.
Heck Shaw has a snowbird or cottage offer where you can get a 2nd dish for another location.

Here'S the answer to your question....

ExpressVu reserves the right to verify that theservice address is located in Canada and that all active IRD’s on your account are located
at the address listed on your account as your “service address”. If any Subscriber is found
to be in violation of this or any other provision or policy, ExpressVu may disconnect
access to the Programming immediately without notice to such Subscriber.
This is the official position Bell has on their website.....As far as I know it's clear.

guy.martin, that is Bell's policy but Bell is not the only option to Canadians outside of the country. Shaw Direct has a Home Away from Home program that allows you to have your subscription active at a secondary residence when you are not living at the primary residence (for example snowbirds) inside or outside of Canada as long as you are within their footprint which actually reaches into Mexico.

Not on Bell, Locals are encrypted using Nagra 3, you will need to subscribe. Check the Sat Maps for coverage area as Bell is not available except in the North US and Swaw may disappear soon.

What do you mean when you say that Shaw may disappear soon?? Can you elaborate on this!
Thanks in advance.

Bell Express Vu

Just keep your BXV account under 4 receivers and you wont have any problems...opps did I say that? Ah shucks!

Cheers, K
Wait till all the snowbirds head to Florida this fall and find that Bell has redirected their footprint for the new Nimiq 6 so you don't get a signal south of Philadelphia !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts