This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Legal way to get Canadian locals in US?

Unless one wants to spend the change necessary for a 1.8 or 2.4 meter solid offset antenna, you're not going to get too far south of Philadelphia. You could buy a lot of Shaw Direct hardware for the money you might spend on a 2.4 meter offset to "rescue" Bell reception immediately to the south of Philly.

I'm a Canadian living in Orlando, Florida and really want to get a Shaw satellite dish. I miss the CBC, Hockey Night in Canada and Citytv! Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could proceed? Do I have to go through a broker? Please help !

Thank you so much,
John

What is clear is that's the policy of Bell. It is not illegal to be in the U.S. and get Canadian programming. Actually getting it very well may go against a policy of the company providing the signal, but that's different than being illegal.

What is clear is that's the policy of Bell. It is not illegal to be in the U.S. and get Canadian programming. Actually getting it very well may go against a policy of the company providing the signal, but that's different than being illegal.

Check with Shawdirect. If you still have a Canadian address, register there and get the home away from home package and bring it back to the states and your all set.

What about using something like a sling box to watch it on a computer while away from home or at a friend/relative's house?

Great way to do it. Maybe not ideal as the sole source for watching TV, but I use it to watch Florida news and sports when in Ct. and the other way.

The "footprint" for Bell has been changed and it appears that is no longer possible to get Canadian TV from Bell in Florida. There is another Canadian company called Shawdirect. If you have a Canadian address, you can buy a dish and a receiver from Shawdirect and bring it to a "vacation location" through a service called "Home Away From Home". Then you can set it up in Florida or somewhere else and get Canadian programing.

I'm a Canadian living in Orlando, Florida and really want to get a Shaw satellite dish. I miss the CBC, Hockey Night in Canada and Citytv! Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could proceed? Do I have to go through a broker? Please help !
John no you don't need a broker! You are a real Canadian so call Shaw and give them your home address and also tell them you want a rcvr at your other home. Someone here can say but I think you can even say that your other home is in the U.S. Ask for "home away from home" program. I've heard they are very friendly to snowbirds!

p.s. if you moved to the US all the time and don't have a house in Canada then probably you still have relatives in Canada and you could use there address.

Sorry for the old topic, but still relevant to me at the moment. I'm wondering what my options are if I'm not Canadian and don't have access to a Canadian address? I'm only asking since it appears the broker options are still legal.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

?Thanks!

Remember that Shaw Direct´s HAFH (Home Away from Home) Program has been replaced with the Second Home Program:

2nd Home Program:

2nd Home is a new program we have created for customers looking to stay connected with Shaw Direct all year round. The purpose of the program is to allow a 2nd dish to be installed at a 2nd Home location, so that customers can continue to enjoy Shaw Direct programming while at their vacation property. If the customer is in a self install area, we will ship them a dish. This program is replacing our current Home Away From Home program.

Over time, we will be contacting HAFH customers to see if they wish to move to Shaw Direct’s 2nd Home program. With 2nd Home, existing HAFH customers can have a 2nd account with identical programming to their primary residence, at 50% of the cost of that package.
Customers adding a 2nd Home, who were not previously HAFH customers, can have a 2nd account with identical programming to their primary residence, at 75% of the cost of that package – so a 25% discount.

Shaw Direct is the only Canadian provider to offer customers a discounted price for their programming at a second residence. Under Shaw Direct 2nd Home, a customer can have programming on at both addresses at the same time! This can be very helpful for those customers with family or friends in both locations at the same time.

Please note, as of May 30, 2013, the existing Home Away From Home (HAFH) program will be terminated for new accounts, and we will proceed instead with the 2nd Home program.

I know Mike has some great equipment and I'd definitely buy from him. My need is more on the activation side.

Actually, I need to purchase too. I just want to make sure I've got the one base covered before I spend the money.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've checked the contour maps for Shaw. I'm in the very northeast corner of Indiana (46703), so I should be in pretty good shape. Good advice nonetheless, especially for someone further south than I am. They recommended the 75cm dish and I'm going to follow that advice, even though I might squeak bu with the 60cm. Why mess around over 30 bucks, huh?