Legalities ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ecarl4100

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Tennessee
I know getting Canadian sat via broker is a gray area, But does anyone know any legal precedent on the subject. I know it's a bad analogy, but I knew some folks hacking directv years ago, and are they ever sorry now. I'd like to get BEV from a broker, but I'm concerned I may be setting myself up for trouble in the future. Yeah ...... I Know I'm a Chicken.

The only one that can get in trouble is the provider, if they are caught selling service to customers outside their qualified territory.

Go for it.
Depending who you go with, Star Choice or Bell , you have distants from Boston, Buffalo,NY., Detroit, Spokane and Seattle.
NFL football from those cities networks and a ton of other sports.

There is no law that says you can't subscribe to StarChoice or ExpressVu. The only law is the 2 companies cannot sell subscriptions to addresses outside of Canada. So that's why you need
-a relative or friend with a Canadian address
-a program broker to act as the "middle man"

The good brokers will set you up on auto cc pay with the sat company so the only time you need to speak to them is to change your programming. The bad ones will pay the bill for you and you pay them. These are shady as they probably are account splitting which is illegal.

I know as an example SC doesn't bother you as lobng as you are paying the bill each month :)

I've had Canadian TV for almost 4 years now and love it :D

i have *c too for almost three years with no problems. You can call *c
from the usa as long as you know your canadian tel no and address.
with bev you need a broker or call blocking.

With a .75 Meter Elliptical Dish I get signal strengths of more than 80 from both Star Choice satellites in Central California. I've read you could use Star Choice as far south as parts of Mexico.

How far south can you receive their signals?

I have seen strong Star Choice signals in Ft.Lauderdale and Naples, Florida.
I have read that others get it in all parts of California and Mexico.
It would appear that the Star Choice signal is stronger than the Bell satellites.
The Star Choice encryption system has not been broken unlike the present Bell system which is.
Star Choice doesn't have to put time and money into trying to correct this problem and conceivably could use the money saved to the benefit of the subscriber.

How far south...

I sold a SC 505 to someone in Guatemala City, Guatemala last year (he was a member here but I forget his nick) and I think he used 2 - 1.2m dishes to reliably get SC there. So you can get their signal a lot further south than has been mentioned. Seems he was a refugee to HD nets when Directv started spotbeam locals for HD.

You americans are lucky that Dish/Direct do not think there is enough of you to warrent legal action over copyright infringement. We have been through this in Canada when it became illegal to subscribe to (not steal) US signals. I am but one of a few here who would rather pay and chance it, than steal using a cheap FTA box.

Satboyz

I'm not sure a law against subscribing to a foreign news source/sat provider would be constitutional. Of course, it's not "the Constitution" - it's who interprets the Constitution.

It would appear that the Star Choice signal is stronger than the Bell satellites.

Actually this isn't the case. Star Choice and Bell use two different sections of the KU-Band which have different uses.

Star Choice uses the Anik satellites which operate in the "lower" FSS KU-Band and use lower power typically around 100watts per TP. Satellites in the FSS KU-Band (I don't remember what the letters FSS stand for at the moment) are intended for the reception, distribution, and use of both business and residential customers. Users typically are television networks, cable channels, program distributors, radio stations, telephone providers, and many more. The satellites on KU-Band FSS typically cover wide areas for both domestic and international users. Star Choice is just one company using the Anik satellites. CBC uses several Ku-Band transponders where they need the satellite's wide coverage over North America, and there are several occassional US users.

ExpressVu uses the Nimiq satellites which operate in the DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) or BSS (as it is known in the rest of the world) portion of the "upper" KU-Band. These satellites are higher powered than their FSS cousins, typically 200+ watts per transponder. This higher power enables the use of smaller dishes and to lessen rain fade which becomes worse as you go up in frequency. Because these satellites are for direct broadcast to consumers the signals can be narrowed to cover the area of the entended customers. In this case Canada.

Actually this isn't the case. Star Choice and Bell use two different sections of the KU-Band which have different uses.

Star Choice uses the Anik satellites which operate in the "lower" FSS KU-Band and use lower power typically around 100watts per TP. Satellites in the FSS KU-Band (I don't remember what the letters FSS stand for at the moment) are intended for the reception, distribution, and use of both business and residential customers. Users typically are television networks, cable channels, program distributors, radio stations, telephone providers, and many more. The satellites on KU-Band FSS typically cover wide areas for both domestic and international users. Star Choice is just one company using the Anik satellites. CBC uses several Ku-Band transponders where they need the satellite's wide coverage over North America, and there are several occassional US users.

ExpressVu uses the Nimiq satellites which operate in the DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) or BSS (as it is known in the rest of the world) portion of the "upper" KU-Band. These satellites are higher powered than their FSS cousins, typically 200+ watts per transponder. This higher power enables the use of smaller dishes and to lessen rain fade which becomes worse as you go up in frequency. Because these satellites are for direct broadcast to consumers the signals can be narrowed to cover the area of the entended customers. In this case Canada.

Thanks for your reply.

In regard to what the letters FSS would stand for, it means" FIXED SATELLITE SERVICE" as in Space to earth and earth to space.( Learned this from my days in high powered transmission work) :)

Where I point out " It would appear that the Star Choice signal is stronger than the Bell satellites", you have somewhat alluded to my reason where you mention that the Bell narrowed signals are for the intended Canadian area.

The effective radiated power in the southern parts of North America are unquestionably in Star Choice's favor over Bell Xvu.
This is a reply to a question by navychop.

Thanks. :up

Because these satellites are for direct broadcast to consumers the signals can be narrowed to cover the area of the entended customers. In this case Canada.

sorry but that is not the case. ExpressVu is using 4 satellites right now
Nimiq1 at 91 24TP's
Nimiq2 at 82 24 TP's
Nimiq3 at 82 8 TP's
Nimiq4 at 91 8 TP's

The problem is Nimiq3 & 4 are old DirecTV satellites. So when they shifted the footprint to cover their legal area (legal as in Canada), the footprint was cut off in some staes due to the way DIrecTV built the footprint. Nimiq1 & 2 cover the whole US with no issues...its N3 & N4 that are causing the issues. You cannot change a footprint of a DBS satellite...thats why when they shifted Echo5 from 110W to 129W you cut off the NE part of the US and Florida & parts of Texas.

Nimiq1 at 91 24TP's
Nimiq2 at 82 24 TP's
Nimiq3 at 82 8 TP's
Nimiq4 at 91 8 TP's

The problem is Nimiq3 & 4 are old DirecTV satellites. So when they shifted the footprint to cover their legal area (legal as in Canada), the footprint was cut off in some staes due to the way DIrecTV built the footprint. Nimiq1 & 2 cover the whole US with no issues...its N3 & N4 that are causing the issues. You cannot change a footprint of a DBS satellite...thats why when they shifted Echo5 from 110W to 129W you cut off the NE part of the US and Florida & parts of Texas.

I remember reading way back when Nimiq2 was put in place and Nimiq1 was moving to 82W, several people in the southern US had lost the signal from Nimiq2. We might actually be seeing a problem with the shifted footprint of Nimiq2 at 82W???

Nimiq1 at 91 24TP's
Nimiq2 at 82 24 TP's
Nimiq3 at 82 8 TP's
Nimiq4 at 91 8 TP's

The problem is Nimiq3 & 4 are old DirecTV satellites. So when they shifted the footprint to cover their legal area (legal as in Canada), the footprint was cut off in some staes due to the way DIrecTV built the footprint. Nimiq1 & 2 cover the whole US with no issues...

Incorrect again.

The original Nimiq at 82W was damaged during launch and was always more of a challenge to pick up in the Southern areas due to being on the edge of the footprint and lower power output.

Incorrect again.

The original Nimiq at 82W was damaged during launch and was always more of a challenge to pick up in the Southern areas due to being on the edge of the footprint and lower power output.

I think you are half right. Original Nimiq that was for 82 was damaged, but it just affected number of transponders available, not the footprint. Footprint was affected by the DTV birds.

Incorrect again.

really?
Then how come nobody whined about signal on 82 until Nimiq3 moved over to 82?
When it was N1/N3 at 91 there were issues. Didnt hear much a peep about 82 even on the Canadian board where they have a lot of southern subs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)