Leno is gone, who replaces Letterman when the time comes?

Don in CT

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 4, 2013
Central CT
With Leno's run on the Tonight Show ending and Letterman signed for 2 more years what happens when and if Dave leaves the air. Who would be his successor. Would Craig Ferguson become the logical replacement being on the network or does Conan get another shot. Years ago John Stewart was rumored to be the next in line or would he not want to leave The Daily Show. Or does Dave just decide to go another 5 years.

CBS will probably not run Letterman off until he wants to go...
I agree that CBS will allow Letterman to go as long as he wants. The question is how much longer does he want to go. He signed on for 2 more years to beat Carson in years but does he intend to go another decade? When does he decide to give it up and when that happens who takes over.

He said on the Howard Stern Birthday Party last week that he wants to stay for a long long time.

I am going to miss Jay. Not the most exciting guy to watch, but he was damn good at what he did.

Q: Hey, what do Cosby and Letterman have in common?

A: The early '80s...because that's the last time either one was funny.
I think Letterman has become a great interviewer, sure his comedy has gotten stale but when it comes to talking to a guest I think he is great at it.

My comment was made somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I used to think Letterman was very funny years ago...but his deadpan schtick and forced maniacal laughter got old after a few years.
I agree that Letterman is not as funny as he was year ago, but I think Leno lost that spark a long time ago too. They both seems to have hit a comfort zone and not want to take risks anymore.

I never really found Letterman that funny. I always like Leno more. But, I do not watch either of them on a regular basis.

I like Craig Ferguson. I watch him and no other.
However he is not going to get an earlier timeslot.
Nor should he.
As an interviewer, he's almost as bad as Dave, and that's saying something.
He talks over his guests; few have the stones to cut him off and lead the interview.
When they do, the show gets 10 times better.
Case in point was Jim Parsons from Big Bang Theory, this week!
Craig is still the only one I watch. :)

I think CBS does have more class than NBC and will let Dave stay as long as he wants ...

Dave still makes money for them and they never made money at 11:30 before he got there. Also there is no heir apparent. Anole likes Ferguson (and so do I) but neo one thinks his stuff would go over at 11:30. So Dave is safe for awhile.

I think CBS does have more class than NBC and will let Dave stay as long as he wants ...

I don't feel they have much choice. Letterman is a known commodity whereas...well, who knows what they would would get in a replacement. Ferguson is interesting in small dozes (I don't watch the show often), but the ratings would tank if he took the late-night spot.

As an interviewer, {Ferguson} is almost as bad as Dave, and that's saying something.
He talks over his guests; few have the stones to cut him off and lead the interview.
When they do, the show gets 10 times better.

Hang on here. In no way do I think Ferguson should move to the 11:30 time slot. And his humor has gotten very stale and bitter in the last few years. But Ferguson can be a fantastic interviewer when the interviewee is not just there to promote some book or movie. Ferguson won a Peabody award for his interview with Desmond Tutu. It was one of the best interviews I have ever seen anyone do. It was conversational, and entertaining while fascinating to watch! I have seen other great interviews. But when he's talking with someone who is just selling something, Craig either doesn't care or, when he does care, he guides the interview to the absurd.

Speculation right now seems to be

Ferguson
Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert
Neal Patrick Harris

i suspect that list will grow for awhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts