Les Moonves Calls Dish-Disney Deal “A Great Start” But “Not Enough For Us”

^ those lease numbers are peanuts, compared to the retransmission fees collected. For all intents and purposes, the spectrum is "free" as the fees are negligible.

^ those lease numbers are peanuts, compared to the retransmission fees collected. For all intents and purposes, the spectrum is "free" as the fees are negligible.
I knew that was what someone would argue. I guess I could say the Pepsi I get out of the vending machine is "free" since the cost is negligible to what my actual salary is. :cool:

So how many Dish subscribers are in market 100? Heck, how many are in market 1? So how much money does an individual station take in through retrans fees? You must know.

Bottom lines...
1) Stations owners PAID for the spectrum rights when they purchased the station.
2) Stations PAY a yearly fee in order to continue using the spectrum.

Argue all you want that they don't pay enough, but they DO pay. Therefore, it's not free.

Yep, people don't realize the broadcasters PAY to lease this spectrum. In return, they are required to provide a certain number of public service programming hours along with maintaining an emergency broadcast system...least we forget their programming is subject to FCC monitoring for indecency (nudity, language, etc.) that limits the kinds of programming they can offer, even in the late-night hours. It's not like they like they can show the kinds of programming you can find on cable. To be honest, I'm tired of seeing ESPN, TNT, USA and the others double-dip by selling advertising time AND then charging re-transmissions fees. Broadcasters and Cablecasters should be forced to pick one model and stick with it.

If folks want to enjoy free broadcast TV they should---as it has been mentioned a thousands times---erect an antenna and enjoy it as the law permits. If you receive your broadcast TV from a pay TV provider...well, then be prepared to pay more and more for this choice.

Wrong. Spectrum gets paid for in yearly license fees, plus the cost to buy a station to start with.

I knew that was what someone would argue. I guess I could say the Pepsi I get out of the vending machine is "free" since the cost is negligible to what my actual salary is. :cool:

So how many Dish subscribers are in market 100? Heck, how many are in market 1? So how much money does an individual station take in through retrans fees? You must know.

Bottom lines...
1) Stations owners PAID for the spectrum rights when they purchased the station.
2) Stations PAY a yearly fee in order to continue using the spectrum.

Argue all you want that they don't pay enough, but they DO pay. Therefore, it's not free.

Wrong. Spectrum gets paid for in yearly license fees, plus the cost to buy a station to start with.

I still think they shouldn't have their cake and eat it to. Man I remember way back we had a guy from one of the local stations talk to us about this stuff. I know he said they got that spectrum for free and that is why we have free OTA TV.

I still think they shouldn't have their cake and eat it to. Man I remember way back we had a guy from one of the local stations talk to us about this stuff. I know he said they got that spectrum for free and that is why we have free OTA TV.
What was his role at the station. Would he have been in a position to know about yearly FCC licensing?

Personally, I think Dish blew it early on when they charged an extra fee for locals. I think if they would have said subscribers get their locals for free to start with, broadcasters wouldn't have asked for retransmission fees. I have nothing to back that up, it's just a theory of mine.

I think he was a manager. This was a while back man. I think your right about the asking for retransmission fees.

Here you go...
http://www.fcc.gov/document/fy-2013-regulatory-fees-fact-sheet-media

It depends on the market size.

For VHF, markets 1-10 pay $86K, markets 100+ pay $6K.
For UHF, markets 1-10 pay $38K, markets 100+ pay $3675.

Most homeowners (probably 99%+) paid for their house/land, would you agree? At one point, WAY back in the history of the country, the land was simply "claimed" or given by the government (land grant). No money was paid at that time. But now, you have to pay for your land. Since the land was FREE at one point, should we consider we got our land for free? I'm guessing not. Most stations have been sold multiple times. Part of that cost was for spectrum usage. Is it a business cost? Absolutely. But it's still a "cost".

IMO, "FREE" OTA doesn't refer to costs incurred by the broadcaster, but by the viewer. After the equipment cost (which they don't pay to the broadcaster), it is FREE. Yes, there are some people who can't receive OTA. I would support not charging them for locals. There are others who CAN receive OTA, but haven't even tried, simply because their sat/cableco provides it for them. I see no problem with charging them.

That being said, I don't think a local broadcaster should be able to get more than $1/subscriber, and that's on the high side. I think it should be closer to .50.

The fees are pretty tiny. The real cost to OTA is electricity...

Their monthly electric bill to run the transmitter could be as much as the yearly fee, couldn't it ?

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Aren't all these same games on NFL Network?

I just cannot see Charlie paying twice for the SAME content. As a customer I don't undertstand that eoither.

Don't think so,CBS afaik gets 8 exclusive Thursday night games.NFL net does 4 or 5 at the end of the season.

Don't think so,CBS afaik gets 8 exclusive Thursday night games.NFL net does 4 or 5 at the end of the season.

Actually ALL Thursday night games WILL be on NFL Network. The first 8 Thursday games of the season (Not including the season opener, which is on NBC) will be broadcast on CBS and simulcast on NFL Network. After the Oct 30 game, the remaining 8 games (2 of which will be Saturday games) will be on NFL Network exclusively.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Interesting,seems kind of dumb that CBS would pay that much to simulcast games.I know NFL Network isn't available everywhere,but still...

Interesting,seems kind of dumb that CBS would pay that much to simulcast games.I know NFL Network isn't available everywhere,but still...

Yea, and I bet in the end Dish (and every other provider) is going to balk at fees for carrying NFL Network if many of the games are available om CBS as well. Surely CBS will want more retrans fees to pay the NFL bill....but Dish and other providers are already paying for the games. Something has to give here....duplicative content and paid for twice?

I took a look at what is set to be recorded for the next week. It's basically stuff I and my adult son watch. My wife has a hopper essentially all to herself and is full of army wives and other shows like that.

30 shows are DVR'ed, but only 24 are shows I currently watch because there are better shows on.
2 shows will be ending this season. 5 shows I'm DVRing are new this season split between Fox and NBC. I only record and watch one show on ABC. I record 5 and watch 4 on CBS and would only miss Blue Bloods and Elementary and CSI. To be honest I thought Elementary and Blue Bloods were on NBC until I checked. Between only watching DVR'ed stuff and recording by title what channel shows are on kind of blur.

Network | DVR | Watch
FX | 2 | 2
ABC | 1 | 1
CBS | 5 | 4
NBC | 9 | 7
SYFY | 1 | 1
AMC | 3 | 3
FOX | 5 | 3
USA | 3 | 2
BBCA | 1 | 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)