Les Moonves: CBS Could Go Directly To Consumers If Court Sides With Aereo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
“We have deals with most of our [pay TV distributors] for a long, long time to deliver our content,” he says. In addition “we’re thinking about over the top, delivering directly to our consumers [via the Internet]. We’re talking about doing Aereo among ourselves if it became viable.” Analysts didn’t follow up to ask how that might affect CBS affiliates. In any case, Moonves says, the tiny company has attracted “way more attention than it deserves” adding that he has “confidence that the Court will find Aereo to be illegal.”

deadline.com

I have a feeling that if Aereo wins, that CBS and Fox and that the other two networks will follow their lead, and we end up with SD or 480p versions over the air of all networks and the only way you get Hd is if you sub to cable or satellite. They might even show different programming entirely ota and the only way you get hd or network current season programming is to pay for it by subscribing to it and paying for it. CBS/Fox are just that spiteful.

I honestly do not understand the logic here. Aereo is not taking anything away from the networks. People are leaving cable ANYWAY. The pay model is changing. Networks were NEVER reliant on the pay model. Local stations became reliant on that only very, very recently in TV history.

Les is trying to frighten the judge with all his public, pathetic, BS.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I honestly do not understand the logic here. Aereo is not taking anything away from the networks. People are leaving cable ANYWAY. The pay model is changing. Networks were NEVER reliant on the pay model. Local stations became reliant on that only very, very recently in TV history.

No, they were never reliant on the pay model in the past, but now that it is fattening the bottom line they are not going to be happy with any changes.

Networks were NEVER reliant on the pay model. Local stations became reliant on that only very, very recently in TV history.
The Networks own more of their affliates than during most of the past, thus making them more reliant on carriage fees.

If they would ensure that the their signal adequately covered their markets, than companies like Aereo wouldn't be needed or have a market.

As it is, it's all empty rhetoric, as the Networks would be committing economic suicide if they abandoned the affiliate model. Crappy OTA networks still get more ratings than the better cable networks.

All the networks have to do is offer an internet feed of their broadcasts and that would eliminate the need for Aereo. I am surprised that most networks dont offer it online as it is.

And eliminate their low income customers.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The networks have found the perfect way to make money and don’t want to give it up. All they have to do is not provide adequate service to there market then customers are forced to go to cable or satellite and they get paid twice for there content.

Moonves must have creamed himself today. Looks like the Supreme Court will be getting fruit baskets from the head henchman at CBS.

I'm beginning to wonder how many "fruit baskets" the Supreme Court gets from big business each time a ruling is made. After all they believe Corporations are people and endless amounts of Cash is free speech to them, so ..........:usa2

For me personally I see it as a win since I can receive and record (with TiVo) my OTA stations. I do indeed think that this is still going away at some point as the airwaves convert to cellular, but for now the broadcasters will not pull their good content from OTA.

If I were an affiliate I would be scared. The networks are starting to make it clear that affiliates are not needed and that it would be more profitable for the networks to sell direct to the end viewer.

Reactions: osu1991
If I were an affiliate I would be scared. The networks are starting to make it clear that affiliates are not needed and that it would be more profitable for the networks to sell direct to the end viewer.
Would this require the FCC and Congress to change the broadcast rules. Of course they would do it, these are the people that pay their salaries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)